Well, started her last night got the cockpit painted, still need to detail it of course, scratchbuilt the seat belts, just need to figure out how I'm gonna do the buckles. No pics yet, will post something over the weekend.

BTW -- still looking for a decent camera anyone know where I can find one on the cheap, don't really have the $$$ to spend on the high priced ones...looking in the range of $100 to $150 want something with the macro setting, but I don't believe I'll find one in the price range.

Later,

Maveryck

Well, started her last night got the cockpit painted, still need to detail it of course, scratchbuilt the seat belts, just need to figure out how I'm gonna do the buckles. No pics yet, will post something over the weekend.

BTW -- still looking for a decent camera anyone know where I can find one on the cheap, don't really have the $$$ to spend on the high priced ones...looking in the range of $100 to $150 want something with the macro setting, but I don't believe I'll find one in the price range.

Later,

Maveryck

Always nice to see an F9F Panther, especially an older kit. As for a camera, I'd suggest checking out Walgreens or Walmart. They always seem to have something advertised in the camera department.

Always nice to see an F9F Panther, especially an older kit. As for a camera, I'd suggest checking out Walgreens or Walmart. They always seem to have something advertised in the camera department.

I'll do my best to give it justice...really like this era of aircraft. Trying to get my hands on a Monogram F-80.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I already checked out the Walgreens, nothing with the macro settings, as well as Ritz -- geez their prices are unreal...I'll give Walmart a shot.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck

The cockpit is finished, the results are nice. I scratched the seatbelts, couldn't get'em in so I have a pit with no belts.

Still can't get a decent pic, hoping to get a camera over this weekend that'll take better photos, or borrow a friend's for a while.

Got the F-4J in yesterday, may start on the cockpit, dunno if it'd be wise to try a build two models at once.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck

Advice regarding building two models at once. It works well if it allows for both enthusiasm and laziness. The two concepts blended together rather define and enjoyable hobby. :whistle::doh: :)

Whichever way works for you works for us. :lol:

Daryl J.

...It works well if it allows for both enthusiasm and laziness. The two concepts blended together rather define and enjoyable hobby. :salute::yahoo::beer4:

Whichever way works for you works for us. :tease:

Daryl J.

Enthusiam and laziness...now, there's interesting dichotomy :(

Maveryck

The cockpit is finished, the results are nice. I scratched the seatbelts, couldn't get'em in so I have a pit with no belts.

Still can't get a decent pic, hoping to get a camera over this weekend that'll take better photos, or borrow a friend's for a while.

Got the F-4J in yesterday, may start on the cockpit, dunno if it'd be wise to try a build two models at once.

Maveryck

What did you use to scratchbuild the belts?

Guidelines

:cheers:

MikeJ

What did you use to scratchbuild the belts?

Uh...tape... :( I did read the guidelines prior to starting the build.

From my previous post:

I scratched the seatbelts, couldn't get'em in so I have a pit with no belts.[emphasis added]

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck
Uh...tape... :doh: I did read the guidelines prior to starting the build.

From my previous post:

Maveryck

You know what?

I am quite happy to have an post error politely pointed out to me, as post errors are something we all do from time to time. But I do take umbrage to have that post error pointed out to me in that manner.

As such, I will avoid commenting on your build to avoid the issue occurring again.

I hope the build goes well for you.

Mike

...But I do take umbrage to have that post error pointed out to me in that manner...

At the time I wrote it, I didn't realize I was being offensive. But after re-reading it, I can see why you took it that way. Sorry about that, it wasn't meant to be offensive.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck

Well, I got the pit installed and joined the fuselage. Had issues with alignment and ended up having to insert some styrene into a 1mm wide gap from the speed brake well back to where the wing will attach. Noticed some lips that will need to be filed down. Will have to putty and sand it...hopefully not too much...it's mostly raised panel lines.

It boggles my mind at how everything will align perfectly during a dry fit, but when it's time to glue -- it's one snafu after another -- ah well such is modeling.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck

Today, I got the smaller parts painted. Sanded the fuselage and primed it, was able to get most of the seams to disappear. May be able to finish her this week...but lets not rush it.

Maveryck

Didn't do too much over the week to it. Test fitted the wings. Hope to get it completed over the weekend.

Here's a couple pics

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck

Hey Guys:

Having some alignment issues with the wings. The right top half will not align properly and is causing a HUGE gap along the leading edge right near the intake, as well as preventing the boundary fence from aligning.

Additionally, I'm also getting a lip on the wing tip tank, looks like it pouting...I think the top wing half was molded too short. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? Or am I SOL.

Maveryck

Hey Guys, anyone have any ideas on how I fix this --

I'm getting a lip on the wing tip tank, looks like it's pouting...I think the top wing half was molded too short. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? Or am I SOL.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck

Are you sure everything is square and straight? In your last photo it looks like the right wing might be drooping a bit. Could it be warped? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo . . . .

If you're certain it's the part which is at fault, I would think it would be easier to fill a gap than to round-off a tip tank that was glued-up cattywampus. My choice would be to razor-saw the tip tank half from the wingtip, glue the wing where it ought to be, glue the tip tank half squarely atop the bottom half, and then deal with the resulting gap 'twixt tank and wing. If that makes any sense. :D

Are you sure everything is square and straight? In your last photo it looks like the right wing might be drooping a bit. Could it be warped? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo . . . .

If you're certain it's the part which is at fault, I would think it would be easier to fill a gap than to round-off a tip tank that was glued-up cattywampus. My choice would be to razor-saw the tip tank half from the wingtip, glue the wing where it ought to be, glue the tip tank half squarely atop the bottom half, and then deal with the resulting gap 'twixt tank and wing. If that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's the part. Though I didn't think of warpage. I dry fitted all the large parts prior to gluing. It fit then, and after gluing the bottom of the wing down -- the alignment issues arose. At first, I thought it was the intakes, popped'em off tried again, no go. And the way the model was molded, you can't put the wings together first and then install them.

I put it aside after a entire night of frustration :cheers: The gap created along the wing root and fuselage, when the top half is on -- is about 2mm, maybe 3mm in width. I'll give it shot after I get the F-4J built, starting to have issues with that one too...don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong, but it seems after the dry fit shows correct aligment and I go to glue -- boom--alignment issues or a freaking lip :bandhead2:

I hope this doesn't happen on the F-100 I'm looking forward to building.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck