Hi all

I was wondering if there is a kit or a resin AM or whatever you can come up with to make a decent bell 407 helo. im aware of the fujimi and esci 206`s and some kiowas out there that, i think, can be turned on to a 407 with a lot of elbow grease. I also have seen some mahogany stand models that can be an option...

any comments?

cheers

german

If you are looking for large scale, there is the old ICM/Revell 1/32 Bell 206/Jet Ranger kit that could be stretched and modified into a 407. It comes up on eBay quite often. You could use the 4-blade rotor off the Academy 1/35 OH-58D, or try and convert it as well.

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

which way do you think will be the easiest to go, the ranger or the 58D.

i got some pics of the kind of modification i'll be making to the kit. it will look something like this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

also, do you guys have a good 3view drawing of the 407?, i do have one from bell's site but if there is a better one it will be of great help.

cheers

german

Edited by german

ALRIGHTY! Looking good! Real good!

There's bben a few of us who've talked about this here and other boards. But 206L. not 407.

Either way, you're going at it the right way. Please keep us posted (with pictures) on your project.

I'm currently working on a 222B to 430. I've only cut the body so far.

I actually used a ban saw. I think I like your dremel technique better!

Way to go!

Cheers,

John

thanks you guys..

by the way, that is no my 407.... mine is only a project so far. those esci kit pictures were sent by a friend who saw them on another forum, and send them to me as a guidance..

cheers

german

Actually, looking at it more closely, it may be better to use the OH-58D fuselage and rotor system and the Jet Ranger engine cowling. The cowling on the OH-58D is quite a bit different.

407:

Bell-407-Turkey.jpg

OH-58D:

oh-58d.jpg

How about this for a 3-view drawing? I figured out that if you print it off and enlarge it by 162%, it will be in 1/35 scale. Good luck.

bell_407.gif

Edited by HeavyArty

Here's the Bell 407 technical info.

They have much better drawings now in there information. Low skid, high skid, pop out floats, etc.

You can use the three views and detail sections to accurately scratch build.

Gino has got you in the right direction which will save you some headaches.

If anyone knows how to chop and mod kits. Gino does. He's an insperation and can be a bad influence. :beer4:

I print only the needed drawings pages then scale them to size (1/48 or 1/32) and compare to the actual kit.

It's real easy to do. You'll pretty much be within scale to whare you need to be. The difference would be like splitting hairs you'll be that close.

Hope this helps.

:)

John

thanks for the heads up guys!

ill be getting the ranger by mid june. the kiowa is on order so it will be here next week i guess.

in the mean time, let me introduce you to the bird ill be making:

P1020084.jpg

cheers

german

Edited by german

Great to see someone tackle this!

Do you have the link to the guy doing that conversion as I would love to see more about how he is doing thing things etc...

Something to be aware of id the fuse bulges out just behind the rear door(quite obvious in the pic above).

Airmedical thanks for the link to the 407 it looks as though it is off Bell Textron's site. I am looking for the same info on the 206L Longranger etc. Where did you find it as I couldnt, any help appreciated!

Cheers

Anthony

hi all

anthony, the pics i have are the ones above and a couple more, i asked and my buddy does not have any idea from where he get the pics as they were in his files for some 4 years.... give me your email and ill send you the rest.

cheers

german

• 12 years later...

Rather late bump!

For some time Scalemates has listed this 1/48 206L-1 set by Top Gun Models. I asked for availability info on Top Gun's Facebook page and they got back to me about half an hour ago:

Hi, friends we work on IT.

Sorry for long term.
Some of projects we restart, Long Ranger II or Bell 407

There may yet be hope for 407 fans!

206 B III, 206 L, 407...................... I'm IN for any and all......we NEED a real good  1/48 scale air frame................ what is the latest on the Italeri 206? is there still any hope at all..... it would be a decent start......

I should point out I'm only interested in a Longranger, but when they mentioned the 407 to me I figured I owed it to 407 fans everywhere to pass on that little tidbit!

Edited by K5054NZ
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:22 PM, biggu said:

206 B III, 206 L, 407...................... I'm IN for any and all......we NEED a real good  1/48 scale air frame............…. would be a decent start......

So right Jeff!

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:41 PM, K5054NZ said:

I should point out I'm only interested in a Longranger, but when they mentioned the 407 to me I figured I owed it to 407 fans everywhere to pass on that little tidbit!

lol, thanks for the support Zac!:beer4:

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:38 AM, SinisterVampire319 said:

Would like to see family of 1/48 407's.
Want to do this one.

Nice one! Possibilities are countless.

I have always wondered, if I was the ONLY one interested in this machine ( I guess not wahoo!!) as most of the model guys all want the big military iron. And as it is one of if not the highest manufactured helicopter in real life, how does it go without love in the model world?   I do hope that IF there ever is a good one, it is a true 206 and not a Kiowa that has to be modified as there are some stark differences................ I am still hopeful.... and I am feeling better there are you guys out there that are interested in this as well..... kind of a warm and fuzzy feeling...🤗