Just come in from the workshop. Spent a good hour or so prepping for interior green...heaps of flash to deal with, and the edges of most parts were a bit on the sharp side.....interior's all airbrushed, ready for some colour. I'll post some pics tomorrow - interior green's pretty boring on its own.. :lol:

Edited by damo

Thanks, gents, you're too kind! Unfortunately, no progress tonight, and none tomorrow as I have to go practice with my band - we've got an Elvis show on Friday night, should be a fun little gig. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it on Wednesday, and maybe start the Kingfisher. I've also got a Wildcat that the young 'uns want to help with - I've already outsourced the cleaning of it to them, so it's ready to start painting... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Last Friday's gig went down very well.....and I got paid, too! Home at 2:00am, up again at 6:00am for an 8:25 flight to Hobart, where I spent 5 days with my wife (2 of those days at a conference, 1 day at the Cadbury Chocolate factory, yum, yum!) My mother-in-law was looking after the kids, and was at our house when we got home. She was kind enough to let me "borrow" her credit card, so I ordered my decals:

Red Roo Decals set RRD4802 for 3 Sqn RAAF, Italy 1944. :) I love that Southern Cross on the rudder! No other progress at this stage - just hanging out for the weekend..

Some more progress at last, although not much....I sprayed the cockpit sides with One-Go in preparation for a wash, airbrushed the tyres Gunze Tyre Black, assembled the joystick and radios to the cockpit floor/fuel tank, assembled the seat to the armour plating, and finished off the instrument panel. The only photo I took was of the instrument panel, so here it is.....

InstrumentPanel003.jpg

A little more progress today....spent some time in the workshop with my "spare pair of hands" applying a watercolour wash to the cockpit, and also painting the tailwheel strut.

CockpitWash006.jpg

This is Layla, she's 4 and wouldn't let me touch the paintbrush once I'd shown her what to do. :)

What is your method for wash? By the way nice cockpit details!

SLICK

Thanks, Slick! Before applying the wash, I seal everything with One-Go (the local equivalent of Future). To mix the wash, I use a "six-pack" container that Gunze paints are shipped in as a pallette, and squeeze out a blob of raw umber and lamp black at opposite ends of the pallette - which has six compartments for each jar of paint - then pour some water into the pallette. The water flows to each compartment, mixing the paints as it goes. It's browner where the raw umber is, and blacker where the lamp black is. If I think the colour is too black, I dab the brush in the blob of raw umber, vice versa if I think its too brown. I then liberally slop the wash over everything - or get my daughter to do it - and let it dry. Then I get a damp tissue and wipe away the excess. The good thing about using water colours is that you can let it dry for days and it still comes off with a damp tissue. Once I'm happy with the effect, I seal it with a clear flat coat.

Today's progress........closed up the fuselage, prepped the u/c legs and hubs for painting, cleaned up some moulding marks in the u/c doors and sprayed the MG bay in the lower wing. No photos today because the batteries in my camera are flat.... <_< Tomorrow.....off to the LHS to get some gunmetal and brass paint for all the MG detail. :)

OK, now for some more photos..

I assembled the wings and cut the tailplane from the sprue. A little later tonight, I'll assemble the wings and tailplane to the fuselage, then tomorrow I can start zooming around the workshop making aeroplane noises.. :)

WingDryFit005.jpg

WingDryFit004.jpg

WingDryFit003.jpg

Just need to add a little putty to the coaming..

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.....I had to order a new lower cowl from the LHS....hopefully it won't take too long. Mind you, I've been waiting for quite a few months for a replacement A6M2 canopy from Tamiya..... ;)

Edited by damo

My decals arrived today! :wave: They are for KH667, CV-P, flown by SqnLdr P. M. Nash DFC and Bar when he was CO of 3 SQN RAAF, or the restored version of this aircraft, VH-JUC (ex A68-105) as owned by Dick Hourigan and Judy Pay. The package contains 2 identical sets of decals, a photo of the aircraft and a comprehensive description of the painting, including the fact that the restored version has a RAAF cockpit green floor.

The down side........the aircraft in question is actually a P-51K, and the prop is either a cuffless Aeropoducts - KH667 - or a cuffless Hamilton Standard - VH-JUC. I'm thinking I might have to use the kit decals this time around, and save these ones for another day... :D

A little more progress today.......filling seams along the wing roots. I had some rather large gaps there, so in with the thick CA, and some putty once that had dried and been sanded. I'll give it a final check tomorrow night, and hopefully be ready for primer early next week. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Baby steps, baby steps.....ready to prime, just gotta find the time. ;) I need another judgment call, too, please....in the process of filling the gaps at the wing roots, I've sanded away some of the raised panel line detail on the wing. What I'd like to do if it fits within the rules is remove the panel lines completely as per the Mustang wing article pinned in the Props forum...

What I'd like to do if it fits within the rules is remove the panel lines completely as per the Mustang wing article pinned in the Props forum...

Damo

That is fine by me as you are essentially removing detail and not replacing it with scribed lines. I will contact Spaced and see how he feels regarding this.

:unsure:

MikeJ

• 4 weeks later...

:blink: Made some progress over the weekend! Primer, filler, some sanding, more primer, more filler, more sanding............then on to the white for the invasion stripes, and the yellow nose area. But the biggest leap forward was being allowed to do all this inside the house! I've now got a little corner next to all my music gear where I can glue, sand, and paint to my heart's content without having to brave the frankly bloody freezing winter temperatures in the garage. No pics at the moment though..

• 2 months later...

Wow! 2 months since my last posting.....anyway, I've painted the wings! Yay! ;) The wings were painted with Gunze silver, with a 4 drops of Gunze Light Gull Gray and 2 of Flat White. The fuselage is going to be coated first with Citadel Chainmail, then misted over with Mithral Silver. Some pics..

PaintedWings005.jpg

PaintedWings004.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

One last pic before the end of the GB...unfortunately, I don't think I'll be finishing by November 1 :cheers: I was supposed to get the decalling done over the weekend, but life, in the form of an errant teenager ;) , got in the way....

Mustang011.jpg

Still a bit of excess adhesive, but I didn't want to handle the model too much until the decals have set. For the most part, I used Gunze acrylics, with Citadel Chainmail and Mithral Silver on the fuselage.

Edited by damo