Hasegawa 1/48 P-400 and P-39Q/N

Not a P-39 expert or anything, but I just happen to have both kits in the stash! The props, motor cannon, cowl MG fairings and exhausts are all different, and you get the underwing gun pods with the Q/N model.

Nick

Not a P-39 expert or anything, but I just happen to have both kits in the stash! The props, motor cannon, cowl MG fairings and exhausts are all different, and you get the underwing gun pods with the Q/N model.

Nick

that is the difference i see in my p38 kit, and my reference books too. i don't know about the under wing gun pods though. i just wonder what is better for the price, the eduard kit or the hasegawa kit?

regards,

Tom

The P-400 kit near as I can tell can be built into a P-39D, E or F model out of the box with the parts options you have. You get a set of 6 stub exhaust stacks (different from those used on the N and Q models) in addition to the 12 hole ones and the L parts tree also has the 37mm cannon barrel (reintroduced on the F) in addition to the 20mm one seen on the 400, D and E models. The prop in the P-400 is a Curtis prop, utilized by the 400, D, E and K and M models. It could probably represent the shorter diameter Aeroproducts prop as well (used in the F, G and L models). You get the nose vents on the parts trees for the N and Q models, some of which began to be seen on the L model.

The P-39N/Q kit is best optimized for those two variants. The prop is different from the 400 and represents a 11' 17" Aeroproducts prop (larger diameter then the one in the 400 model). You also get the Q model specific 50 caliber cannon pods (in addition to the parts for the 30 caliber gun wings seen in all other variants). You get two types of exhaust stubs in the N/Q kit. The unused six hole ones look the same as those in the P-400 kit. The cockpit instruments are also a little different between the two kits with the 400 panel working fine for probably a 400, D, E and F while the N/Q panel working best for the later models.

Both kits do have some unused parts on their trees. There are different nose wheel and main wheel hub options (including one set not used in either the 400 or the Q/N kit). With some parts swapping between the two for maybe specific exhaust stubs for the later mid-production planes (or aftermarket ones) it should be possible to do practically any Airacobra variant out of the box with the exception of the C models (which had 30s, 50s and the 37mm in the nose) and the four bladed prop P-39Q-25 variants.

I would say if you could find one of the Eduard double kits, those probably provide the most bang for the buck in terms of plastic cost, plus you get the four bladed prop in the Eduard kit. But the Hasegawa kit builds into a very nice model right out of the box and I love it for ease of build without resorting to aftermarket. I also understand the Eduard kit needs some correction work in the cockpit and the trailing edges of the wings are thick. Hasegawa by comparison seems to look okay with its trailing edge thickness and the cockpit only really needs seatbelts, gun charging handles and maybe one missing arming box on the left sidewall. You can also close the doors on the Hasegawa kit with ease while Eduard's doors seem to work best open and need some mods to close properly. Eduard does give you photoetch though, if you like having that stuff (making it easier to drop the flaps if you so desire).

I finished building a P-39Q (in the Eastern Front GB forum) and it was one of the most trouble free builds I have ever had. It builds into a NICE model. I also have the P-400, I just haven't decided how I want to build it yet (I may opt for a P-39D model instead of a 400, although they are almost identical except for the exhaust stubs). In my own case, I think all my future builds of the Airacobra will be Hasegawa based as opposed to Eduard, but you don't have to follow my lead as Eduard has a few perks itself.

i just wonder what is better for the price, the eduard kit or the hasegawa kit?

regards,

Tom

IMO, Eduard. Excepting that only the Q boxings have underwing gunpods, afaik all the boxings have all the necessary bits to build any variant. You may have seen my recent post about a Soviet Q that I built from a P-400 boxing a few years ago: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....p;#entry1051452

Jay's summing up above is spot-on for the Eduard kit, as I haven't got a Hasegawa one I can't comment on that. Eduard's is a bit more work, but makes a nice model. I'm quite getting into Cobras, the different variants are fascinating. The "Dual Combo" boxing is RAF Airacobra-based, it has RAF and some interesting Soviet options for ex-RAF contract machines, which make a nice change from OD/NG.

HTH,

M