Okay Guys:

You voted and Naval Helos won with 23 votes, civies had 20 and heavies with seven.

The GB will start on 1 July 2007, all Naval helos and VTOLs from every country with a Navy is acceptable.

I will get with Medevac71 and LittleBird117 over the next week or so to hash out the guidelines and get them posted to this thread. Consider this the "official" thread until we get set up in the GB forums.

Get your helos/VTOLS ready gentlemen and let's have one hellava build.

Maveryck

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Ok guys, after we post the rules and guidelines you can contact me,Maveryck, or medevac71 to register your build, thanks to all those enter.

Jake

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117
Well, I'll see what I can do. Put me in for an RH-53D.

Jon

Jon,

I'll sign you up! With the position your in right now, I'll see if I can get you an extension on your build. Hope that sounds good.

Jake

Gentlemen:

Welcome to the 2007 Naval Helos & VTOLs of the World Group Build. Listed is all the information you will need for the GB. If you have questions, please ask myself, LittleBird 117 or Medevac71 and we will get a response to you as quickly as possible. All decisions regarding the GB are at the discretion of the moderators.

Start and End Date

The GB kicks off on 1 July 07 and will end on New Year's Day 2008.

Rules and Guidelines

• The group build is open to all Naval Helos and VTOLs through-out the world.
  • All scales are welcome.
  • Models where 25% or less has been started are eligible. Anything further will not be considered part of the build.
  • PE is allowed.
  • Aftermarket decals are allowed.
  • Conversion kits are allowed, to include resin cockpits, wheels, etc.
  • Kit bashing is allowed.
  • Scratch-built is acceptable, no limitations.
  • All Coast Guard and Marine helos/VTOLs are eligible for entry
  • Experimental VTOLs are allowed, as longs as the VTOL was tested for naval use, such as the XFY-1 or the X-22.
  • No what-ifs
  • Helo/VTOL dioramas are eligible, as long as a story is told. In other words, don't just plop a helo on a cardstock helo pad. Tell a story -- make it interesting.

Group Build Banners

Participants are encouraged to use a GB banner. LittleBird117 is working on a banner, once completed you can use it or create your own as long as it conforms to ARC's Group Build Banner guidelines.

Additonal Info

Once the GB is underway and we have an offical forum, I will have this post copied and pinned. For now, consider this thread the "official" thread. Post your helo interests, and for those you that have completed Naval helo/VTOL models, please post them here, so that it may provide some inspiration and motivation.

We thank you for your interest and participation. Now that the offical prattling is complete, get ready with those helo and VTOL kits and lets have some fun!

Regards,

Maveryck, Medevac71 & LittleBird117

Edited by Maveryck
[*] No PE is allowed.

[*] No conversion kits, however conversions are acceptable as long it is scratch-built.

Umm, WHY? Beyond the fact that it just eliminated both the kits I planned to enter, I don't really see the advantage. I can understand these restrictions in the Monogram Classics group build, where they're trying to stick with OOB style builds, but I'm not sure how it fits here, so I'm curious what the motivation was behind these limitations. Any chance of a reconsideration? And please, don't get me wrong, there's probably a very good reason for this. If you can let me know what that is I'd certainly appreciate it.

Edited by David Walker
Umm, WHY? Beyond the fact that it just eliminated both the kits I planned to enter, I don't really see the advantage. I can understand these restrictions in the Monogram Classics group build, where they're trying to stick with OOB style builds, but I'm not sure how it fits here, so I'm curious what the motivation was behind these limitations. Any chance of a reconsideration? And please, don't get me wrong, there's probably a very good reason for this. If you can let me know what that is I'd certainly appreciate it.

David:

I do realize that this will limit what many may wish to enter into the GB and may in fact prevent some from participating at all. This rule even eliminated the kit that I planned on entering - converting an Italeri SH-60B to a HH-60J.

I did haggle with myself over this, and the goal is to have a build where modlers relied on their skill set to complete the model, and not entirely on aftermarket products. Over the years, I've seen many well built models that did not use PE and/or conversions kits, and were completed by either kit-bashing and/or scratch building. My thinking/reasoning stems from this and I believe having a build that represents a modeler's ability will produce some very detailed and well built models.

However, I will discuss this with Medevac71 and LittleBird117 offline.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck

So, no PE. What about resin cockpits and so on? Logically they would be banned too, would they? Not that I'm for forbidding either of them. Just don't see the reason behind it.

I'll still try to be in! :cheers:

So, no PE. What about resin cockpits and so on? Logically they would be banned too, would they? Not that I'm for forbidding either of them. Just don't see the reason behind it.

I'll still try to be in! :cheers:

Logically, they would be banned if PE is banned but the rules don't say that. It just says "No conversion kits, however conversions are acceptable as long it is scratch-built." I think most people view conversion sets as a set that would convert from one type/model/series of helicopter to another (converting an AH-64A to an AH-64D for example). If the intent was to ban all aftermarket products except decals then the rules would have specified that. So, using that logic, I've already built 24.9% of my entry using an aftermarket resin set... and I'll sue if someone tries to change the rules now!

Logically, they would be banned if PE is banned but the rules don't say that.

Yeah, that's what I think. If it's not forbidden, it's legal! Logical it aint. :coolio:

Mods, what's the situation?

I am another that can't see the logic.

One of my builds was going to be a RAN S-70-B2 which is different to the SH-60 and requires a resin conversion. I was also going to do RAN Mk50 Sea King, again resin conversion required, USCG HH-60...resin again. looks like the builds I as going to enter are all not allowed!

Bringing out our artistic talents is great but in a time of not much time for the hobby I am one who likes to simplify a build as much as possible or else it will never get finshed. If resin is a no go then we may be seeing the same old stuff.

I think any conversions should be allowed be it resin/PE etc.....

If not I wll have to give it a miss, as others mentioned there are quite a few other GBs in this time that are less restrictive.

My 2c worth...