Hi all,

Wondering if any of you can help me. I applied a decal in a position I don't quite like... I used Micro Set then Sol on it and it has dried for a number of days. I tried yesterday to soak the decal with Sol for 30 seconds or so and the decal won't come off... after that I find the Sol starts to dry...

Is there any way for me to remove this decal from the glossy surface it's on? I could sand it off but I'd rather not re-clearcoat the section with gloss...

Thanks...

-Greg

I would think the chances of removing the decal without damage to the surrounding surface are next to zip. You could try removing the decal with a plastic scouring pad, this will limit damage to the glossy surface.

peebeep

Masking tape, burnished down firmly, and ripped off quickly like you're whipping off a band-aid. May take three or four goes.

If that doesn't work, try more Sol. It will evaporate off the surface, but will be working its way into the decal, so try leaving it for 5 - 10 minutes before you try removing it. And every couple of minutes after that. You can also throw in the tape trick again, to see if that may work. You could also apply some Sol to a kleenex, and plop it on the model, to give more soaking time.

Next option would be some stronger decal sol. Solvaset or Champ *might* eat through the decal, making it easier to remove. Or it could weld it on even better...

And if that doesn't work, you're probably looking at sandpaper. You could feather out the decal, re-paint and re-gloss. Sanding off *just* the decal would be tricky - you're likely to cut through the paint around the edges.

Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice.

MickeyThickey: I'm not too worried about sanding the decal off as I have a layer of Gunship Gray on my F-15E followed by 2 layers of gloss... one pre-panel washing, then another to seal in the panel wash in prep for decals. So at most I would sand through one layer of gloss... another application of said gloss will do the trick...

I was just hoping I would not have to re-gloss... pain in the arse to get the airbrush out again just for a quick 5 second spray ;-)

Thanks again...

-Greg

If you haven't sprayed any sort of sealant over the decal, it should come right up with the application of a small piece of masking tape.

Burnish the tape down over the decal then pull straight out. It may come up in pieces, but you should be able to get the whole thing with a little work.

HTH

Cheers

Old Blind Dog