The Baron and his Funfdekker

Re-released by Revell - the Tom Daniels classic caricature. Will Werner Moldy and his Messrschnitzel, Pierre and his Nieuport or Riff Raff and his Spitsfire make it as re-releases too? Stay tuned to this channel!

This plane features tandem engines of a unique combination. Not two DB605s geared together as a DB 610, but a "Le Ron" rotary upfront in besplendent chrome-plated plastic, beneath a chrome-plated cowling of similar dimensions to a 1:28 Dr1; teamed up to the crankshaft of a 427 hemi V-8 with supercharger and chrome heads, with chrome header exhaust manifolds and fancy chrome exhaust pipes. The ignition leads are noticeably absent in this scale, but will be easily added with a drill and appropriate-sized wire (preferably black plastic-coated wire!).

The Baron will be an exercise in bust painting, although I may replace his moulded-on monacle with a genuinely clear acetate piece courtesy of the office hole-punch. He is protected by a chrome-plated pickelhaube helmet. The tail wheel leg is also chromed. Yes, that's no typo, the tail is wheeled, not skidded.

The main undercarriage is a work of art. The port tyre has a bandage on it. Both wheels are spoked, and will spin quite freely.

The machine guns are Maxims, but more reminiscent of Vickers than LMG 08/15s. This, of course, obviates the need to represent the more obviously ventilated jacket of the German weapon. I'd appreciate it if anyone can corroborate which version of Maxim is the correct one for the FUNFDEKKER, but for the purpose of this build, I'll use the kit items.

Painting should be fairly straightforward - it's all red except for the white rudder, and the bust of the Baron, and I may have to paint over the chrome bits in places to clean up seams. Any advice on painting over chrome?

Any advice on painting over chrome?

I don't think any paint sticks to chrome. Best bet is probably to strip the chrome, deal with seams and defects in the usual manner, and finish with Bare-Metal Foil, household aluminum foil, or the BMF finish of your choice. At least, that's what car modelers have been doing for ages . . . Alclad 'Chrome' comes highly recommended (haven't tried it myself).

I've never seen a Funfdecker built up. Can't wait to see yours. Might want to check with the mods about some of your plans though. :thumbsup:

Mein Gott, das Pickelhaube pickel ist missing?

Donnerwetter!

I have yet to see this kit here in Oz, but rest assured I am going to buy one and perhaps another for Lori as well :wave:

Looks great, though the putty is about as overwhelming as building an Airfix Rotodyne.

:wave:

mikeJ

Edited by madmike

You know I exaggerated about the seams, right? The worst of the things to fill were the ejector pin marks on the underside of the wings. 19 in total. (EDIT: That would be 21 if you include the fairing for the u/c spreader bar as a "wing"). Most of them were subjected to Tamiya putty, with additional coats of liquid paper. I had a bit of a fit issue with the tailplane, but I probably could have avoided the gaps if I'd used superglue instead of Testor's cement, or otherwise figured out a way to effectively clamp it. Where I've cleaned up the seams on the chrome parts, it's not so bad because it reveals red plastic underneath, which seems to be effective as it could be a "reflection" of the red elsewhere on the plane. Either way, it's not noticeable and I might not touch it up with "chrome" paint. We'll see.

Edited by Brews
  • 2 months later...

End of November!

Never fear, I too will not get my GB entry finished. I am now eyeing off a Monogram 1:72 Tigercat as a worthy substitute :doh:

:salute:

MikeJ

edit: goof correction

Edited by madmike
  • 2 weeks later...
End of August!
I thought this GB ended on November 1??

I was considering trying to make a late entry on this GB, but if it is end of August, and not November 1st, than I'd never make it in time.