SH-60 crash in Nevada

My hat's off to those guys and prayers for their families. I wish it was mandatory that all lines, energized or not, spanning canyons or rivers had visible markers on them. I don't fly a 60, but I suspect the 'quick-stops' at high speeds aren't as quick as a smaller bird. Very sad day.

Pretty much an ugly night all the way around.

Agreed - I'm in Reno right now. Came out here to drop off my friend from Nikon and get out from under foot. I'll be back in the AM.

HS-7 Dusty Dogs, from right here at NAS Jax. My house lies in the NAS Jax class D (within 4 miles). I see these guys fly every day. Aside from the pilots, there was an AW1 and two AW2's....my old Navy rating. I have flown out at Fallon before, and it can be dicey. It is the first opportunity for the air wing to work together in the pre-deployment training cycle and it is usually a zoo. About a third of the aviators are new to the squadron and have never been there before.

Edited by DutyCat
it is usually a zoo. About a third of the aviators are new to the squadron and have never been there before.

It's usally not that bad..and the Dogs' CO was flying the bird that went down.

In 2 1/2 work up cycles to Fallon (5 trips the a bunch of long range strikes out of Mugu), the only mishap that happened while I was there was a bandit that ran out of gas and screwed up his bingo profile. He had to punch but was fine.

Spongebob

...a bandit that ran out of gas and screwed up his bingo profile. He had to punch but was fine.

Spongebob

Obviously dictated somewhat by unique factors to each situation, but what happens to a guy/gal as far as career is concerned when you do somthing like that?

-John

He was an S-3 guy... didn't fly anymore at Fallon after that AFAIK. Not sure what happend after that.

You know where you're headed yet???

Spongebob

Okay. Just thought I'd ask.

Last ride tomorrow (er, later THIS) morning. Form check. NSS calculated tomorrow afternoon, but the drop isn't till next Thursday. Will let you know.

-John

Was it an ex S-3 guy who had transitioned from another platform? Or was it a Viking that went down? Full crew? If it was a Viking, it's pretty bad when your aircraft is primarily used as a tanker and you run it out of gas!

Edited by DutyCat
S-3 WTI assigned to NSAWC, flying a NSAWC Hornet.

Spongebob

Pilot: Put out to pasture....

How is the model club at Doug's? Two more weeks and I get to see Pax River again after 15 month...I'm sick of folks shooting at me...even the green ink is getting old.

Atis in the sandbox.

S-3 WTI assigned to NSAWC, flying a NSAWC Hornet.

Spongebob

Pilot: Put out to pasture....

How is the model club at Doug's? Two more weeks and I get to see Pax River again after 15 months...I'm sick of folks shooting at me...even the green ink is getting old.

Atis in the sandbox.

Model club is good...I have not been the standard for attendance. Seems like all the travel I do is on the 3rd week of the month.

Keep your head down until you get home,

Spongebob