I'm thinking of doing a He 111H-6 that was used to ferry supplies during the Stalingrad airlift. Were the supply cannisters carried on the external ordnance hard points or internally? Does anyone have any good photos of the cannisters?

Mike

saw some video on the military chanel the other say supposedly from the stalingrad airlift and the 52s did not appear to have anything on the hardpoints, but even the military chanel has been know from time to time to mis caption footage.

I don't think they would have done this since I don't know of any supply canisters set up for external carrying on German planes. Plus, a square container can produce a lot of drag and isn't as substantial as say a bomb, so it might fail in a prop slipstream, resulting in lost cargo. So my guess is that they all would have been carried internally.

I have seen cannisters that were cylindrical, much like the ones Fallschirmjager used for their weapons on air drops. No evidence that these went on hard points though, thought it might be interesting. Oh well, there's always bombs.

Tough to find pics of that time. I had to scour the web pretty hard for reference on a Stalingrad Kessel JU-52 build I did a few years ago and pickin's were pretty slim...

Ken

I don't think they would have done this since I don't know of any supply canisters set up for external carrying on German planes. Plus, a square container can produce a lot of drag and isn't as substantial as say a bomb, so it might fail in a prop slipstream, resulting in lost cargo. So my guess is that they all would have been carried internally.

Those canisters in the photos look almost bomb-shaped and size so I would tend to agree. However that

same shape would allow them to be carried on the external ETC2000 rack. Aero Detail #18 has

some sketches of the rack but it has an SC1000 bomb in one of them and they're empty in

another. It may well have been a combination of both.

<_<

Those canisters in the photos look almost bomb-shaped and size so I would tend to agree. However that

same shape would allow them to be carried on the external ETC2000 rack. Aero Detail #18 has

some sketches of the rack but it has an SC1000 bomb in one of them and they're empty in

another. It may well have been a combination of both.

:)

I guess it goes to show if it could be done, the Germans would have tried it. I thought the Stalingrad airlifts tended to be more flights into the airstrips they controlled though as opposed to airdrops, seeing as how close the fighting got in that town. Although admittedly towards the end, the Germans practically owned Stalingrad as the Russians pretty well cleared out and surrounded them by that point. As such, air drops would have potentially gotten supplies in faster (not that it did much good by that point).

Thanks for posting these pics! :)

In the latter stages of the campaign most airfields were over run or under near constant artillery fire so landing was a hazardous proposition.

Looks like a 1/48 scale bomb (since my kit will be 1/72) might make a good starting point for the cannister.

D'oh! I just saw this. I can help.

My Roden He111E has 2 cargo canisters included in it. It also has a profile (side view) included for a He111 that carried them. I think the profile is for Stalingrad, but have to go home and check. I can get you photos of the shape of the canisters on the sprue. They are mostly round but have a step in them front-to-back.

If you look here:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1...ller/rev503.htm

You'll see some zoomed out shots that include the profile with the canisters on it and the canisters themselves on the sprue. I can get some better pics this evening or tomorrow if you like. Let me know!

If you want a long-term project, it's the only game in town (town being 1/72 scale). I really like the way it's shaping up, but it takes ungodly amounts of effort to get things working. The wings had a full 1/4 inch overbite on the leading edge!

But if you meant to use it just as a reference for your current build, that'll work too :)

Should I hold off on those photos if you're going to pick one up? Note there are many versions from B to E, I don't know if all of them have the cargo pods. I got the He111E-1.

Early thread with my Roden(t) progress:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=43390

Later thread with progress on exterior parts:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=44924

Hello mike

do not buy that kit unless, you are a plastic masocist :)

It is the worst kit i have ever build, nothing fits, absolute desaster. :) :)

But I have the the 2 cannister from the set and i just located them in my spare box, and I will be happy to send them to you.

cheers

Jes

do not buy that kit unless, you are a plastic masocist

It is the worst kit i have ever build, nothing fits, absolute desaster.

But I have the the 2 cannister from the set and i just located them in my spare box, and I will be happy to send them to you.

:cop: Sounds like you're speaking from personal exprience, Jes! If you could send me the cannisters that would be great, I'll PM you my address.

Cheers,

Mike

I have the Roden kits for the He 111B, 111C, and 111E, passed on the 111A. I have not ever seen a kind word regarding these kits from anyone who actually built (or attempted to build) one of them however.

I've been looking at my 111A sitting on the bench (mocking me...) for about a year now, and I'm almost to the point where I can say **** it-I'm just painting it like it is just for the sake of getting it DONE!!!

Ken

I love the E-1!

I went into the kit with an open heart (and semi-open mind), and despite the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE problems with the kit, any model builder that finishes one has earned bragging rights and something even better: a display model of a 1/72 long-nose He111! Unless you get into crazy conversion kits (if there are any??) nobody else can claim this!

I've got most of my kit done. I need some paint before I can continue. I think it'll be a key piece in my display when I finally finish painting it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I'm thinking of doing a He 111H-6 that was used to ferry supplies during the Stalingrad airlift. Were the supply cannisters carried on the external ordnance hard points or internally? Does anyone have any good photos of the cannisters?

Mike

Mike,

Sorry this is so late. Google Images he111 h-20, and you eventually get a late war winter photo of an he-111 h-20 having supply canisters (I believe) vertically loaded into the bomb bay. Best of luck!

-Sal P.