Monogram 1/48 F-111A - Build Thread

I've done a lot of work to this thing. I am just now getting around to taking and posting pictures.

Since this is a swing wing aircraft, I decided to complete the wings prior to fuselage assembly.

DSCN3132.jpg

Here is the wings, fuselage and nose attached to the aircraft.

DSCN3135.jpg

I took the fuel dump area and put it back to the way it looked when it was a prototype. Here a comparision of production vs. prototype.

DSCN3144.jpg

The intake cones are entirely too short. So using your spare Monogram F-111, cut the cones from the splitter plate and attach them to the existing intake cones. Fill and sand the deep pits moulded into them and BINGO.........more correct cones.

DSCN3138.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After taking a short break to pound out a Joint Strike Fighter, I decided this weekend to work on this one a little more. It's far from being finished.

This has been the hardest paint job I have ever done on a model kit. I have to paint the black glare shield, and paint white on the underside of the stabilators. When it's all done, this thing is going to look sweet. Not bad for a classic Aurora/Monogram kit. Compare this with my other Monogram F-111 in the Inspirations section.

I thought you guys would like an update!

Hope everyone likes.

DSCN3312.jpg

DSCN3313.jpg

DSCN3314.jpg

DSCN3315.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

Bloody awesome!!

Seems with only minimal (within GB guidelines) changes, you have constructed a very nice model.

Nice work!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Another update.............

I decided to redo the vertical stab............I didn't like what I did to bring out the raised panel lines. I didn't do the rest of the aircraft this way, so basically, the vertical didn't match the rest of the plane, so I redid it.

I did get the glare shield painted and put the speed brake/main landing gear door on. I also added the exhaust nozzles. Aurora/Monogram made the nozzles WAY TOO LONG for an F-111. So a simple mod, cut them off at the proper length makes them correct.

Hope everyone likes...........

DSCN3316.jpg

DSCN3322.jpg

I got the decals put on, all of these are from the scrap box. I got the NLG doors on the aircraft. All that is left is little nitpicky stuff and a final clear coat and I will call this one done.

Hope everyone likes.

DSCN3324.jpg

DSCN3327.jpg

DSCN3331.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE