A curious mind needs to know:

In exercises such as Red Flag where the aircraft are operating with ACMI pods, do the crew get any indication if they have been "killed" whilst they are in flight or do they have to wait until the debrief.

Thanks

A curious mind needs to know:

In exercises such as Red Flag where the aircraft are operating with ACMI pods, do the crew get any indication if they have been "killed" whilst they are in flight or do they have to wait until the debrief.

Thanks

they know right away. The good guys have to return home, but the Red Air can regenerate and return to the fight.

Jake

With the ACMI Pods used until 2001 in Decimomannu / Sardinia you could hear a "beep" once somebody

had triggered. You could not be sure if it was you, who has been killed, but usually when you checked

6 right away, you could realize it has been you...

Nowadays at least with the canadian system ther is no indication anymore.

On exersices like Maple Flag, Red Air does not make any kill calls, since it would be bad training if blue

air flys home and in the debrief it is found out that the kill call has been wrong or the red shooter

has been shot down earlier.

That way the flow doesn't get disturbed and blue air reseives it's training.

In the debrief red air claims it's kills and blue air will be colored white and doesn't count for the

remainder of the mission.

Usually only blue air makes kill calls and then either red air removes to e regen point, waiting there

a certain time and then engages again ( simulating scrambled aircraft ) or just flows through to the

mudders to give them some training in evasive maneuvers. All shots which are taken by a red aircraft

after it has been shot down, don't count in the debrief anymor

SCOUT

True, but you're talking about de-brief. During the actual mission, the GCI calls out to the dead pilot as such, informing he's been killed within seconds of the "shootdown". He flows out of the mission until the fight replays, or heads home. Today I sat in on a Weapons School mission at Nellis, and that is how it was done. During the mission, the GCI gets the killed aircraft correct only about 80% of the time. During the debrief, everyone discusses who shot whom and when, and any errors will be corrected.

Jake

True, but you're talking about de-brief. During the actual mission, the GCI calls out to the dead pilot as such, informing he's been killed within seconds of the "shootdown". He flows out of the mission until the fight replays, or heads home. Today I sat in on a Weapons School mission at Nellis, and that is how it was done. During the mission, the GCI gets the killed aircraft correct only about 80% of the time. During the debrief, everyone discusses who shot whom and when, and any errors will be corrected.

Jake

That's how it worked when we used the ACMI's at Savannah,I've sat and watched the action a few times when we flew against F-15's,F-14's and F/A-18's over the years.

Good info on that. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was just wondering if there are different sizes of ACMI pods? I believe I've seen two different sizes in different kits and weapons sets.

Paul

Good info on that. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was just wondering if there are different sizes of ACMI pods? I believe I've seen two different sizes in different kits and weapons sets.

Paul

Not in USAF service. They're about the same size as an AIM-9.

Jake