I'd like to see it run for 7 years.... :)

*ahem* X-Files

Glad they're quitting while they're ahead. If SciFi needs to fill that void, there's always the proposed "Caprica" series or they could produce a series around the First Cylon War.

To be honest, I think it's time for the show to end. The episodes vary from interesting and exciting to boring and crushingly depressing. Ultimately, the characters and their relationships are getting old. Starbuck was to be a basket case that was hard to watch, Tigh being a drunk, sobering up, drinking again, Lee loves/hates Starbuck and Dee, Adama and Lee fight and make up, and so on. It's just constant teasing with what/who the Cylons are and no resolution. The season final just went over the top (Starbuck returns as the messiah? The Final Five revealed and they all seem to be major characters - please)

You can't have Galactica fighting Cylons and running forever, it just gets old. They need to resolve the issues and bow out gracefully instead of just dragging it on and on and on..........

I would have to agree about the deterioration of the show. BSG started with so much promise, but has fallen short IMHO.

Lori was not interested in the slightest as she is a big devotee of the original series and was not happy about what they had done to it. Perhaps she is right now.

To sum up, some great moments largely interspaced with some seriously bad/boring episodes.

I only wish Stargate could have gone longer..... :P

:deadhorse1:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Scuttlebutt of yesterday was that Olmos jumped the gun when he said it was ending after season 4. Apparently, the final decision hasn't been reached yet. By the way they are going with Earth appearing at the end of Season 3, it is kind of hard to reverse gears for any longer then another year as I see it. Even with long running network TV shows, 4 years seems to be about right before things begin to change to a point where the format ends up being a bit different, be it from recasting, new writers or whatever. Stargate SG-1 has been one of the few exceptions, although it originally aired on a premium commercial free cable channel (Showtime) for most of its run. On the Sci Fi Channel, its run will be 4 years when it ends in a few weeks.

If BSG goes on I will watch. If it ends, I will watch something else. Nothing lasts forever. It is amazing that BSG even got a chance to go this far with this format considering the track record for remakes of TV series that only lasted one season on network wasn't exactly great to begin with.

IMO, the show has turned south. I agree with Dave's assessment: those last little plot twists are a bit ridiculous....and it doesn't help to learn that, literally, the writers are simply making this up as they go. Guess what, guys? It looks like it.

When you look back at episodes like "33," or even the liberation from New Caprica, there's excitement, there's drama, but the characters still have substance. Lately, its like their attempts to make things happen on the "character" scene are at the expense of any semblance of reality or forethought. I don't care how stranded these people are, they're military officers in a combat scenario: while a few of them may go batty, the majority of them are going to knuckle under and do their best. That showed in 33...its been lacking since.

I also have a real hard time with all of the final 5 being main cast characters. Come on... I'm not even going to bring up the Lee Adama "you know, I always wanted to be a lawyer" fiasco.

And Stargate wasn't much better in the end. You have to keep creating bigger and bigger bad guys, you have to find bigger and bigger (or weirder) weapons, and more obscure mythological/cultural references.

But my biggest gripe there is Ben Browder. Every time I see him, I'm like, "why is John Crichton in an SG-1 uniform?" Bringing Claudia Black over didn't help, she just traded one set of neuroses for another. But he's playing the same character, just on different sets. And, lets face it, Mitchell is no O'Neal. And, in my opinion, O'Neal made that show. Well, that and I didn't mind watching Amanda Tapping....

IMHO, this is probably the best show on TV. This being said, it also has the very real chance of becoming very bad.

I don't agree that the show has gone south yet, but any show this good can only go on for so long before it must end (Babylon 5 comes to mind... sci-fi series or not). I just hope there isn't an eternal cliffhanger like someone mentioned before. Also, I really hope they don't just "settle" on who the last Cylon .... I really hope it isn't Admiral Adama.....

And Stargate wasn't much better in the end. You have to keep creating bigger and bigger bad guys, you have to find bigger and bigger (or weirder) weapons, and more obscure mythological/cultural references.

But my biggest gripe there is Ben Browder. Every time I see him, I'm like, "why is John Crichton in an SG-1 uniform?" Bringing Claudia Black over didn't help, she just traded one set of neuroses for another. But he's playing the same character, just on different sets. And, lets face it, Mitchell is no O'Neal. And, in my opinion, O'Neal made that show. Well, that and I didn't mind watching Amanda Tapping....

As a differing view, we are watching S10 of SG1 currently and we are enjoying the season immensely. Vala is no more over the top as RDA was and Browder is doing a great job in the role. I have only just started watching Farscape after an aborted attempy some years back and both Lori and I are enjoying that show as well.

I am looking forward to the next season of SGA and the two direct to DVD SG1 movies.

Maybe the rumours of a third series might come to reality.

But I know one thing. If there is any hint that the main cast members are Cylons, I will certainly sell the Mini series and S1 DVD's I have, as well as cancel the S2 order. That would be the final nail amongst many for this show for me. As I said earlier, Lori will not even watch it.

:D

MikeJ

i blame it all on the removing of the 'sci fi friday" - sg1, atlantis and BSG all in one night!!

closely follow gateworld, and everyones ratings slipped after they changed that around!

I think I agrre with a lot of you guys that its starting to get a bit old now and the plot is getting bad in a lot of ways. I hope they stop while they are ahead.

I know I stopped watching Stargate SG1 when the Bori turned up as we were only going to see the whole thing again, interestly Stargate Atlantis is starting to bore me as well now, what is it with Sci Fi cant we dream anything new up, with the exception of Heroes there is nothing new here in the UK.

On a BSG note I managed to pick up the whole original on DVD and I still enjoy watching them :thumbsup:

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
How's the new season of Doctor Who? We won't get it here in the states for another month or so.

In a word CRAP, I stopped watching it it was getting so bad. I think it is more aimed at kids and family viewing given its time slot but I find it very uninteresting.

Bring back my Hero Tom Baker! and K9 where he got to these days?? :thumbsup:

Julien

How's the new season of Doctor Who? We won't get it here in the states for another month or so.

Excellent. We are enjoying it immensely.

Bring back the sontarans!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

I agree, BSG has really slipped into soap opera-ville. Who sleeps with who, who loves/doesn't love who, who died, but wait....came back......shhheeessshhh. Whenever writers pull out the JR Ewing, it was a dream trick......they are running out of material.

As for the final 5, they only hinted at their identity. With all the unplanned poorly written twist...it could be that they are mearly connected some other way...who knows.

I hope they can pull it out of it's steep dive into the ground and maybe get back to great writing, like "33" "Water" etc.... But that's unlikely to happen. Okay, I'm done griping. :)

Bill

P.s. more cylon battles, that's what i would pay for. :shoot:

I enjoy watching Grace Park......what's all this talk of a story line? I should pay attention to the show more it seems. :)

You too? :popcorn:

Just wait 'till they reimagine and come up with Galactica: 2010. But watch out for the flying motorcycles...

I agree, BSG has really slipped into soap opera-ville. Who sleeps with who, who loves/doesn't love who, who died, but wait....came back......shhheeessshhh.

I tell ya...after living the 8 month version, and one with a known end time, I can believe it. Especially after YEARS on those things. I'm sure there's some unaccompanied tour (Korea...) from the other folks here who would believe it too.

Spongebob

I'm right there with you. I was very impressed in the beginning, but since it moved to Sunday night it's not been nearly as good. As with many other shows (LOST!) - it's time to wrap it up.

I also have a real hard time with all of the final 5 being main cast characters. Come on... I'm not even going to bring up the Lee Adama "you know, I always wanted to be a lawyer" fiasco.

Who wants to be a lawyer when you can fly fighters??!?!?!!?!? :worship: