The Dr: Tom's supposed to be getting his own spin-off show, from what I heard a long while back. He died in the last season but it's supposed to be him before he met the Dr.

SG-1: Ben Bowder's good for the role, if they'd stop writing crap storylines for him!!!! His strongest episodes were early on with his flashbacks after his crash, and his internal development when he was learning to fight with the cloaked Jafa (can't recall their name). They tried to revisit this with the memory machine episode, but it failed. He's got the chops, they just lost their writing skills about 2 seasons back.

BSG: I'm disappointed in the latest season. Some of it was good, and had the action (Gallactica jumping INTO planetary atmo! Then jumping out before hitting the ground! Doesn't get ANY better than that!) but the are really getting lame on the storylines. Agree with the who's sleeping with whom comment, and was really sad to see them kill the Pegasus for no reason (oh, the things they could have done! -- but mustn't have anything outshine Gallactica, must we?). I was really POed at the finale with Starbuck back from the dead and the 4 "new cylons". I just hope they recover from it somehow and say "It was all Starbuck messing with their minds and not some Cylon trick". If those crap jockies drop another pie and make Adama a cylon I'm going to vomit :D

I guess I'm glad they're thinking about ending it (even if they're not, yet). It means they have structured goals set and won't be wandering aimlessly.

Edited by Mark M.

17-05-07

Er, given that Starbuck died, then shows up again ( in a brand new Viper), i would think that SHE is the fifith Cylon....

Maybe there has been too much talk and not enough action, but that's all to lead us into the final season, which will be a blast.....

The questions you should be asking is; where did Starbuck get the Viper from (since hers exploded)?

Where did she come from? The signal the Four were hearing was All Along the Watchtower....obviously from Earth, ( unless Dylan is a Cylon too), but radio signals can travel for a looong time....by the time they get here, we might BE here.

Also, remember (and i say this cos people have short memories)....the Five remaining Cylons had their models locked out, like Lucy Lawless's...forever locked off from the rest of the Cylons.

It's just possible that these guys developed their own path..like Hera. They might be willing to comabt the Cylons hunting the Galactica and there was no word from any of the 5 ( or was it 4) Basrstars that jumped in, although they did launch fighters (AND Apollo did go back to being a pilot)

I mean, c'mon...there is rich material here...the four may actually be Cylon/Human hyrids or decendants of them.....how long has Tigh served with Adama...? Think about it.

The fina season will rock.

My only real problem is that they never did the "false" Earth two-parter....that would have rocked.

Anyways....rock on, Tommy

( And Starbuck, in an interview did let it slip that she might be a Cylon)

And didn't the nutso-Cylon in her "visions" in Maelstrom say that he ( the version in her dreams) wasn't the actual Cylon but just an image for her to relate to or something??

Liam

ps..Dr. Who is good so far....and it was ALWAYS aimed at kids/family.....

I'm still watching BSG. It is what it is, the audience is different these days - not necessarily better, I think there's still a place for more innocent escapism like the original series. Not every episode is a gem, but you still end up waiting to see what's next. While not always pleasant I think they have done a creditable job of depicting the refugee lifestyle.

As I've said a couple of times before, the one thing that really bugs me is the relationship between Adama and Lee. One of the defining characteristics of the original series was the bond between Adama and Apollo (and for that matter, the other "family" members like Starbuck, which has been used occasionally in this series). I'm actually kind of surprised that we've seen so much of Richard Hatch (cool casting though with him as ~bad boy Zarek) without hearing anything from him on the subject.

On the other hand, the interplay between Adama and Roslin is a lot more interesting to watch than endless antagonism with the Council of Twelve.

• 7 months later...
I'm right there with you. I was very impressed in the beginning, but since it moved to Sunday night it's not been nearly as good. As with many other shows (LOST!) - it's time to wrap it up.

Who wants to be a lawyer when you can fly fighters??!?!?!!?!? :cheers:

Well, Tom Cruise for one... actually that was 2 lawyers to 1 fighter jock. Remember "The Firm", "A Few Good Men" and "Tom Gun"? :D

ok, what's the record for the oldest thread brought back to life? we may have a contender here.

i for one, as much as i was disappointed with the last season BSG, i would hate to see it go. they have to potential to really rock, they just need better writing in my opinion.

Bill

i for one, as much as i was disappointed with the last season BSG, i would hate to see it go. they have to potential to really rock, they just need better writing in my opinion.

Bill

Hmmmm, maybe its just as well I didnt get round to watching season 3... I think I'll just stop at season 2 and pretend season 3 does not exist, then I am just left with just the pleasant season 2 aftertaste (while my head hibernates in the ostrich hole in the ground).

Yeah, also heard some guy named Lindly, Lindhurst or Lindbeger or something is gonna try to fly across the Atlantic, ALONE!

HA!

Good luck.

This just in off the telegraph.

President Lincoln was shot last night at Ford's Theater...

William G

I'd like to see it run for 7 years.... :whistle:

With all the time they take between seasons you may get your wish!

I really was an huge fan the first season. Then they took the little 3 month break before season two. I was still a fan but was just barely in the rabid, Oooh gotta watch Galactica mindset anymore. Then the time till the the next set of episodes and now the like 9 month wait for more I find myself really not caring at all. I missed razor and I gotta thanks the Stargate Channel, for not showing it a second time. So right now I gotta say, BSG, so what...

Just my opinion.

Max Bryant

Hey, did anyone hear about Julius Ceasar being stabbed to death by Brutus back in March? :banana:

Seriously, I read that RDM (one of the 2 executive producers) had said that this next season was to be the last. Scifi left the decision up to them, as to when they wanted to end the show. I also read that the "Caprica" series was going nowhere.

As for SG1, I too miss the show, even with Ben Browder. But he didn't bring fellow Farscaer Claudia Black to the show, she was on an episode earlier, where she kicked Daniel Jackson's a## all over the Promethius....one of my very favorite SG1 episodes!

What I find pretty interesting, is alot of the Scifi shows that are made up in Western Canada, have several actors showing up in different series. For example, Lexa Doig :rofl: , who played Rommie in the Andromeda series, also played in the 4400, and in SG1 as the base doctor, and Gen. Landry's daughter. She's married to Micheal Shanks. They met when he appeared in Andromeda.

Steve Bacic (from Andromeda) also appeared as one of the system lords in SG1. Aaron Douglas (Chief) was also a Jaffa. I've seen Cally in Dark Angel, Gaeta in many things, not to mention Lucy Lawless! Another of my favorite "crossover" actors, Jewl Staite :D :wub: , (Kaylee from Firefly) is now on SGA as the base doctor!

Edited by tomr

not to sound like a cynic, but i seriously doubt if the show were pulling in the ratings, that the Sci-Fi channel would tell them they can end it whenever they want to. I believe money talks. The ratings are down, so they are going to pull it. All of the Star Gate spin-offs are proof, network execs will run anything in to the ground trying to get every last dollar they can out of it, then just chunk it by the way side. It's the show business way.

JMHO.

Bill

Apart form SGA, which we really enjoy, there is a serious lack of decent SF shows on TV these days.

I have the feeling that the viewing public are getting sick of the current trend of SF series remakes departing from what they would consider important plot, character and setting considerations.

BSG is a case in point. It had a promising start, but in Lori and my opinion, shared by several of our friends (all BSG fans from the original series), the series has degenerated into something less than our memories of the original series.

The new approach will draw in new fans for certain, but the older fans who remember and love the original series seem to have lost interest in the show.

I am looking forward to seeing the new series of Stargate when it starts. Hopefully it will run concurrent and compliment SGA. But any new shows seem thin on the ground.

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

I used to watch BSG in the 70s and loved every minute of it. However, I was 17 at the time.

I watch BSG now, and love every minute of it. It uses the same names and same ideas, but does it at an adult level. The older stories were directed at kids/teenagers, and while we may have fond memories from those years, I'm not keen to repeat the same shows the same way. IMHO...

I find it kind of funny that there is complaining about BSGs lag times between seasons, and the mid season breaks as well. Some of you may remember a TV franchise called "Star Trek". It started out kinda cool, took off a couple decades and came back again to much fanfare. The, it never went away again for almost 20 years! When one series ended, another began. The stories began to be recycled, and they made less and less sense. Eventually, Star Trek became stale and boring and worst of all, not viable financially. Fans were not upset to see it leave.

I'd rather have a break than over exposure. If I like a show enough, I can wait. Anyone remember waiting YEARS between Trek movies, and still going to them? or Indiana Jones? or Star Wars? Sometimes, the wait is half the fun!

Alvis 3.1

Oh, BTW, Vala is the coolest thing to hit SG1 ever! Damn drooly Aussie chicks! Almost as hot as darn getting shot too much Asian Cylons....

Personally, It's just entertainment to me. If I miss a show I just down load it or wait until the episode comes back in reruns. Liked the old show as a kid, like the new show as an adult. SG1 his pretty much hit and miss with me, I'll watch if there is nothing else on and I don't feel like modelling. SG Atlantis is good but same as the other shows.

I never care to analyze anything within the show ..... I just like the scenes with all the ships/battles. As far as BSG TNG going no further than 4 seasons, I'm cool with that even if it was the Best Show ever.

Just my opinion.

Emil

To me BSG is the best drama on TV. If BSG is a dissappointment to some please tell me what show is better or perfect. I heard these same complaints during Enterprises run and what do we have now?--nothing. I'm just happy BSG has a final season because I will have some withdrawl problems when its over

Apart form SGA, which we really enjoy, there is a serious lack of decent SF shows on TV these days.

I have the feeling that the viewing public are getting sick of the current trend of SF series remakes departing from what they would consider important plot, character and setting considerations.

BSG is a case in point. It had a promising start, but in Lori and my opinion, shared by several of our friends (all BSG fans from the original series), the series has degenerated into something less than our memories of the original series.

The new approach will draw in new fans for certain, but the older fans who remember and love the original series seem to have lost interest in the show.

I am looking forward to seeing the new series of Stargate when it starts. Hopefully it will run concurrent and compliment SGA. But any new shows seem thin on the ground.

:pray:

MikeJ

I don't totally agree with this, Mike. I too grew up liking the original series of Galactica (and have both old and new ones on disk) but what I've seen of the new one impresses me. Missed the last set (3?) due to being overseas, but loved the Razor 'teaser' and am looking forward to the next series.

I really, really liked the concept of a remake where cheesy things like the aeroplane stuff - the 'turbo' jetstreams to give direction to the flight sequences; the heavy-handed American Pilgrim Fathers analogy - got turfed out in favour of rather more gritty action, characterisation and adult scripts (adult in the 'intelligent plot' sense, rather than the retard scriptwriter firearms+sex+swearing sense.) I think it's great.

As for remakes, I believe Doctor Who - you get that? - has enjoyed much the same success through re-vamp (though dear me, the Torchwood spin-off, why IS that still on?) It finally explored how/why the Doctor can't keep companions long - and was very elegant with it. It's done WW2 and alien invasion. It's had flipping Kylie on it, for added kudos :) It loots, pillages and recycles its' own history, and shows the same kind of benevolent, exuberant contempt for its' originator that William Gibson did when he jumpstarted science fiction in the eighties :) This is what I believe BSG also does, which is why I find it very watchable.

\2p. Now back to Space Above and Beyond, something that like Firefly defied logic and taste when canned. But still waiting for more BSG with anticipation.

Patrick

I don't totally agree with this, Mike. I too grew up liking the original series of Galactica (and have both old and new ones on disk) but what I've seen of the new one impresses me. Missed the last set (3?) due to being overseas, but loved the Razor 'teaser' and am looking forward to the next series.

I really, really liked the concept of a remake where cheesy things like the aeroplane stuff - the 'turbo' jetstreams to give direction to the flight sequences; the heavy-handed American Pilgrim Fathers analogy - got turfed out in favour of rather more gritty action, characterisation and adult scripts (adult in the 'intelligent plot' sense, rather than the retard scriptwriter firearms+sex+swearing sense.) I think it's great.

As for remakes, I believe Doctor Who - you get that? - has enjoyed much the same success through re-vamp (though dear me, the Torchwood spin-off, why IS that still on?) It finally explored how/why the Doctor can't keep companions long - and was very elegant with it. It's done WW2 and alien invasion. It's had flipping Kylie on it, for added kudos :D It loots, pillages and recycles its' own history, and shows the same kind of benevolent, exuberant contempt for its' originator that William Gibson did when he jumpstarted science fiction in the eighties :shoot: This is what I believe BSG also does, which is why I find it very watchable.

\2p. Now back to Space Above and Beyond, something that like Firefly defied logic and taste when canned. But still waiting for more BSG with anticipation.

Patrick

Patrick

I guess it boils down to personal taste. Amongst my SF friends and wider contacts, the overlying factor has been the radical different approach to the original premise to the series.

Human form Cylons, angst ridden second in commands and such like has ruined any chance of myself (I can speak only for me, I guess) enjoying the show.

Some eps are great, the space fight sequences are marvellous and what modern SF watchers expect. As you say, none of the SFX so prevalent in the older shows.

Dr Who has endured in the main due to good characterisation and story lines. This is also true of Blake's Seven. The new series is very very good and I have watched all but the last 3 eps of season 3. I grew up with Doctor Who, first watching the show in 1971. So I am a very long time Dr Who fan. The "humanisation" of the good Timelord has been explained well enough with the destruction of the Timelords and the Daleks in the time war (an area really needing some more clarification).

I WILL not talk about Torchwood :P

Space: Above and Beyond was another show that held great promise. However, unlike Firefly, there was no really light moments. It was an angst ridden, sombre show not even broken up by light moments. Frankly, I was glad it was canceled after 2nd season but only after the whole main character list was largely killed off in one episode.

Enjoying Farscape currently, in between SGA. Farscape is well crafted, has good characterisations and excellent storylines. Why we did not watch this series earlier is beyond us. We really need some more truly original SF and currently, and in my opinion, Dr Who and SGA is the only stuff providing it.

:coolio:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
Dr Who has endured in the main due to good characterisation and story lines. This is also true of Blake's Seven. The new series is very very good and I have watched all but the last 3 eps of season 3. I grew up with Doctor Who, first watching the show in 1091.

Side comment I know but is this series long running or what? ;) and also re Blake's-7 - which I watched avidly as a youngster - like many of my peer group (and possibly others) spent time wondering: why did Avon keep Blake alive so long? You have Avon, sharp, survivor, almost in possession of a powerful ship that would set him up for life and he....lets himself be goaded into tilting at political windmills, an exercise painfully doomed to failure from the start. If he went to character I believe there would have been a teleporter accident shortly before the first near-death mission. And probably an alliance with Servalan :)

Patrick

PS Trivia question but did you notice Paul Darrow (and Tom Baker, Glynis Barber for that matter) in Hostile Waters? Excellent, horrifically overlooked game given (more) class by the actors?