Build #3 will have a few aftermarket additions.

FA18D_VMFAAW533_ED01_164959_001.jpg

I will be using the Hasegawa Night Attack F/A18-D Hornet for this build. Aftermarket will include the MAW decals, NACES Seats from True Detail, and MAW resin covered exhausts and dual chaff buckets.

HS_FA18D_005_001.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

not to kick you while you are down, but that BuNo does not have Dual AN/ALE-47 chaff/flare buckets BuNo 165171 thru 165532. That one is buNo 164959. I got that off Dave Roofs post on the Jet page.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=106894

Edited by SSgtd6152
  • 2 months later...

Heres a progress report on the Hornet build.

She is steadily coming together. I was going to use the kit nozzles, but decided to use the MAW resin set instead, and made up some intake covers using tissue / white glue and water.

I used Eduard PE in the cockpit and in the wheel wells. I have nearly finished the seats.

HS_FA18D_005_002.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
  • 5 weeks later...

I seem to be hitting a brick wall on my builds this summer. :(/>

Not much to report, but I have added some scratch built antenna top and bottom and sprayed the main colour base coats.

The bombs were painted and the coated with Mr Surfacer 500 to simulate the ablative coating. Just need to decal and weather them and they will be ready.

HS_FA18D_005_003.jpg

HS_FA18D_005_004.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
is it just me or what. are your Vert Sabs Black?

HS_FA18D_005_005.jpg

I shall try to take some photos in the sunlight tomorrow (if we get any :blink:/> ). The stabs are dark blue, actually Xtracolor X121 (FS15042). I didn't have any FS15044 to hand when I sprayed them, but looking my refs, maybe 42 maybe a bit too black, and not enough blue.

I will be ordering some 44 shortly, as looking at the actual finish, I have noticed it has a slight orange peel to it, and so will be respraying them.

Edited by Andy Mullen
looking great andy. please tell me more about your fod cover method.

My method was soak some tissue in water-thinned PVA glue, drape it over the kit intakes and leave to dry. When dry just use a scalpel to trim the edges, then glue the intake to the aircraft. I shall be painting them near the end of the build after the weathering has been done.

looking good andy, don't forget to paint the speed brake blue.

Thanks for the heads up Creighton. Fortunately I also missed filling the vents, so I am going back over these areas prior to Klear coating for decalling.

Update:-

MAW Decals applied over the weekend.

For some reason, when I painted the tails, I had it in the back of my mind the check decals on the rudders were white.

So after respraying the rudders, and gloss coat, they were all done.

HS_FA18D_005_006.jpg

HS_FA18D_005_007.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen