Madmike, thanks for the kind words about my finished 190. :D

Now for the P-40B kit. While I was spray painting the 190 parts to kick off the GB (with the Badger) I took the time to shoot interior green onto the P-40 parts. (The black parts had been sprayed before the GB started). Tonight I started the assembly of the bird and now the fuselage is done. I'll do the wings next and get them on, get the seams filled in and the canopy masked and glued....then comes the primer, hopefully this weekend.

This will be number "14" of the Flying Tigers. I've checked Flying Tiger paint references before on this site and others...apparently these P-40's were delivered in what was meant to be British camouflage (dark earth and dark green?) only with the equivalent US paints instead. Am I correct in thinking that using the U.S. dark green and dark tan colors over neutral gray wouldn't be far off the mark? Or am I inhaling too much Tenax?

Anyway, here's the start of the build.

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

I just painted an AMTech P-40K in "equivalent colors"-I used MM Medium Green and Dark Earth over a light gray. I've got the FS #s around somewhere at home, but I'm at work and this was what Cutting Edge called for on one of their decal sheets. Close enough for me :cheers:

Ken

Well everyone, I put some primer on it last weekend but had to do some more filling and sanding, a few minutes of work a day, now it's almost ready for its paint job. One thing - one of the guns had a broken off tip (may have come that way or broken off somewhere, I'm not sure) so I used styrene rod to glue a replacement. I hope it's okay with the mods, if not I've always got other Monogram kits in my expansive stash :woo:

I'm getting what should be the final coat of primer on and tomorrow I'll start painting. Current plans are to use a lightened neutral gray, US dark green, and US dark tan. (This is for bird "14"). Some references suggest to use Aircraft Gray - I have the MM Acryl Aircraft Gray but it looks too greenish and I had so many problems with it on another project (the Minicraft B757) that I am reluctant to use it.

EDIT: I just looked closely at one of my pics. Looks like ol' ham fist here broke off one of the gun tips during his sanding operations. As for the seams, look out for the nose cowling to engine/cockpit join - UGH. Also the wing roots and elevators needed some attention as well as the underside canoe fairing. 20 second CA, flexifiles, sponge sandpaper, and clear parts cement come in handy for me when I face this.

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

Edited by Justin Davenport

Justin,

I am also working on the Monogram P-40 kit and I agree with you about the poor fitting nose section...UGH.

This kit will need a lot of putty and sanding before being ready for paint.

Matrixone

Justin,

I am also working on the Monogram P-40 kit and I agree with you about the poor fitting nose section...UGH.

This kit will need a lot of putty and sanding before being ready for paint.

Matrixone

Yes, that nose section is quite a handful. Good thing I just bought some Tamiya putty, looks like that will be needed.

Justin,

I just found out there is quite a step where the front and rear spinner parts meet, this will also need some putty work, I will try and use Mr. Surfacer 500 on this even though it will require at least two coats to come close to fixing. Hope your kit is better fitting than mine has been!

Matrixone

• 1 month later...