USAF RF-4C's fitted with a G139 LOROP Recce pod

Greetings,

Who can tell me more about USAF RF-4C operations with the G139 LOROP (HIAC1) pod ?

Besides some standard information on the web and in books, I could not find information as:

-The units assigned to carry the pod

-Operations with the pod (Cold War, etc)

-Timeframe the pod was used

-Pictures of USAF Phantoms with the G139

Who knows more, or has got any pictures ??

Are there any good references (www, books, etc) I can look in to ?

Thanks for sharing !

Daniël

I know the 67th TRW and 15th TRS/18 TFW in South Korea used the LOROP pod. As I've read reference to operations with the pod along the Eastern European line, I'd assume the European-based 10th TRW and 26th TRW also had them.

I have a pic of 66-0438 of the Korean unit with a G139, I could PM it to you since we can't upload here anymore. It's in Euro 1 camo, so that'd give an indication of the timeframe.

In addition, the IDF/AF received a couple before delivery of their specialiced RF-4E(S) Peace Jacks.

HTH,

Andre

Greetings Andre,

I'd love to see the pic of 66-0438, I'll PM you my email address !

If USAFE's Recce Phantom did use the G139 (it would sound logical that they did), I'd sure would like to read about it and see picture's. Who knows more ??

Greetings,

Daniël

PS Andre, can you enable PM's in your profile !?

Edited by Sentry30
I know the 67th TRW and 15th TRS/18 TFW in South Korea used the LOROP pod. As I've read reference to operations with the pod along the Eastern European line, I'd assume the European-based 10th TRW and 26th TRW also had them.

I have a pic of 66-0438 of the Korean unit with a G139, I could PM it to you since we can't upload here anymore. It's in Euro 1 camo, so that'd give an indication of the timeframe.

In addition, the IDF/AF received a couple before delivery of their specialiced RF-4E(S) Peace Jacks.

HTH,

Andre

When I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB, we never used the LOROP pod in the 91st TRS (1 of 2 operational Squadrons). We had an internal LOROP camera that we used to photograph Cuba. We also never used the "Bench Box" pod at Zweibruecken AB Germany (26 TRW) or at RAF Alconbury (10 TRW), at least from 1974-1992. The only USAF unit I know of to use it was the Kadena based 15 TRS, which only used it in Korea, flying along the DMZ.

Larry Engesath

Phormer Photo Phantom Phixer.

I have a couple shots of that in my files somewhere. Got em when I was TDY at Osan many years ago. I'll see if I can dig those up.

Tony

When I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB, we never used the LOROP pod in the 91st TRS (1 of 2 operational Squadrons). We had an internal LOROP camera that we used to photograph Cuba. We also never used the "Bench Box" pod at Zweibruecken AB Germany (26 TRW) or at RAF Alconbury (10 TRW), at least from 1974-1992. The only USAF unit I know of to use it was the Kadena based 15 TRS, which only used it in Korea, flying along the DMZ.

Larry Engesath

Phormer Photo Phantom Phixer.

Thanks for your info Larry !

I guess I can put my Zweibrucken decals back in storage now :)

I've read about the internal LOROP camera's and their use in the Gulf, to bad those were the last real Recce flights for US Phantoms...

I have a couple shots of that in my files somewhere. Got em when I was TDY at Osan many years ago. I'll see if I can dig those up.

I'd be more than happy to see those !!!

Thanks in advance !!!

Daniël

Nothing spectacular, but here they are. Taken at Osan in March 1983.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the GREAT photos!! :cheers:

That will be the markings I use, when I finally get around to doing a Bench Box bird.

Larry Engesath

Phormer Photo Phantom Phixer

Tony,

Thanks very much for the shots :wub: !!! They will be of great help in the future !

Andre, I hope you read this and are willing to post yours too (with the Europe 1 camo), or mail them sentry@home.nl, I guess those will be verry usefull too !

Further more I found out that the test trails with the G139 where conducted by 16TRS, and the useage of them with the 15TRS went under the name: "Peace Eagle". For how long the Bench Box have been used by 15TRS remains a secret (I guess), more information is (and pictures are) allways welcome !

Tony, thanks again, those are great shots !!

Daniël

Andre, I hope you read this and are willing to post yours too (with the Europe 1 camo), or mail them sentry@home.nl, I guess those will be verry usefull too !

PM inbound! My pic has the later Euro 1 scheme.

Tony, nice pics!

Cheers,

Andre

• 3 years later...
Greetings,

Who can tell me more about USAF RF-4C operations with the G139 LOROP (HIAC1) pod ?

Besides some standard information on the web and in books, I could not find information as:

-The units assigned to carry the pod

-Operations with the pod (Cold War, etc)

-Timeframe the pod was used

-Pictures of USAF Phantoms with the G139

Who knows more, or has got any pictures ??

Are there any good references (www, books, etc) I can look in to ?

Thanks for sharing !

Daniël

Daniel,

I just ran across your post from 2007. If you are still interested I can send you a pretty good history of the Bench Box program (code named Big Safari )that was conducted from Osan AB, Korea from 1972 until the early 1990s. I flew a number of these missions. New to this forum so sorry if there are errors in my attempt to post.

Daniel,

I just ran across your post from 2007. If you are still interested I can send you a pretty good history of the Bench Box program (code named Big Safari )that was conducted from Osan AB, Korea from 1972 until the early 1990s. I flew a number of these missions. New to this forum so sorry if there are errors in my attempt to post.

Sounds like an interesting subject. Not sure if this is something that can be posted on the forum instead, I think others would like to read it as well.

BTW, thanks very much for your service!

John

Sounds like an interesting subject. Not sure if this is something that can be posted on the forum instead, I think others would like to read it as well.

BTW, thanks very much for your service!

John

The history is about 20 pages long and probably too long to post on the Forum. If anyone is interested I will email you a copy.

john

• 9 years later...

On 3/5/2011 at 3:28 PM, RF4C Driver said:

The history is about 20 pages long and probably too long to post on the Forum. If anyone is interested I will email you a copy.

john

Holy thread resurrection! I would also like to receive a copy of the story if still available!

Aerophile Vol 2, Nr 4 had an excellent article on all RF-4s (US, UK, W.Ger, Israeli, Intl), including the LOROP pod and the Israeli RF-4EX.  I am pretty sure that the pod was only used by the USAF in Korea along the DMZ.  You can still find the magazine at used bookstores or off ebay.  HTH, Dutch

aerophile_v2n4.thumb.jpg.c6796c2c4b5713da2cfb80a66a50a11e.jpg

Edited by Dutch