Fine Molds Announces 1/48 X-Wing!

Dude! I hope they do a Y-Wing in 1/48. That was always my Fave!
Fuji,

So how many of the FM 1/72 scale Y-Wings do you have on order?

I've personally got two coming, to start me off.

I'm sure I'll be picking up one or two of the 1/48 X-Wings...they're

just too cool NOT to have. Especially if the quality is up to their

1/72 standards.

(BTW-Did you ever find out about the markings for VFA-32? Did

they ever get finalized? Did the CAG and DCAG jets get painted?

Do you have pics of the (newer) markings?)

Thanks for any knowledge you can impart...

Jim

I'm fairly certain that's a THIRD X-Wing, in 1/35. Probably a garage kit. In among the kanji on the spec board you can see 1 / 35. I don't see the Fine Molds logo on it either, come to think of it.

The pics show pretty much every panel being removeable - radome, cockpit, engine, torpedoes - and that ain't in the 1/72 kit, and isn't on the 1/48 test shot, so it seems a reasonable guess that it's yet ANOTHER release. And if you thought the 1/48 FM kit would be pricey, get ready for some sticker shock! :tumble:

I'm fairly certain that's a THIRD X-Wing, in 1/35. Probably a garage kit. In among the kanji on the spec board you can see 1 / 35. I don't see the Fine Molds logo on it either, come to think of it.

The pics show pretty much every panel being removeable - radome, cockpit, engine, torpedoes - and that ain't in the 1/72 kit, and isn't on the 1/48 test shot, so it seems a reasonable guess that it's yet ANOTHER release. And if you thought the 1/48 FM kit would be pricey, get ready for some sticker shock! :)

The X-Wing under that DOES look like something else entirely. I doubt if I'd have the

cash to pick up something like that. It just LOOKS expensive, especially if it has all those removeable

panels like you say. (I tried to look at some of the pics that you mention, but I'm having a hard time

seeing the panels, radome, cockpit stuff. Can you show me what you're speaking of?)

Jim

The X-Wing under that DOES look like something else entirely. I doubt if I'd have the

cash to pick up something like that. It just LOOKS expensive, especially if it has all those removeable

panels like you say. (I tried to look at some of the pics that you mention, but I'm having a hard time

seeing the panels, radome, cockpit stuff. Can you show me what you're speaking of?)

Jim

I think that is probably a kit master for the 1/48 kit. It looks almost like a 2X model compared to the 1/48 sprues and masters can be 2X size of the kit parts. And since it is displayed with the 1/48 X-Wing, it looks to me like the ground crew figures will be included in the kit as well on another sprue. Granted the description says 1/35, but that would be quite a big gamble if FineMolds were doing 1/48 AND 1/35 X-Wings. Just wait a day or two and HLJ will have all the skinny for us in English. :)

Update: Okay, I am checking. But I just had a thought that 1/35 (actually 1/36) would be practically 2x size for a 1/72 parts master. As such, that ground crew figure set we are looking at might be a 2x master for a planned 1/72 kit accessory. It would make sense to me more so then doing it in 1/48 as with the 1/72 Y-Wing coming out, a Yavin IV Hangar bay diorama would now be more possible then ever.

Edited by Jay Chladek

According to Babel Fish

First 1/48 X wings

In bulletin edition UP doing as for with the mistake, this X wing of 1/48.

And, in bulletin edition UP as for doing this 1/35 X wings.

In prototype fine mold and sale (?) 螢ス house, service state

The small article being attached which it can reproduce.

According to Babel Fish

First 1/48 X wings

In bulletin edition UP doing as for with the mistake, this X wing of 1/48.

And, in bulletin edition UP as for doing this 1/35 X wings.

In prototype fine mold and sale (?) 螢ス house, service state

The small article being attached which it can reproduce.

Thanks Fuji that..... put more questions in my head then answers. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

I think that is probably a kit master for the 1/48 kit. It looks almost like a 2X model compared to the 1/48 sprues and masters can be 2X size of the kit parts.

Model masters are rarely done as 2-ups. Occasionally back in the day for detail parts, but not any more, and never (AFAIK) for full prototypes. It's much more common for sculpted items - figures being the big thing.

And since it is displayed with the 1/48 X-Wing, it looks to me like the ground crew figures will be included in the kit as well on another sprue.

Ah, but IS it? The pictures are together, but the 1/48 kit isn't visible in any of the 'other' shots, and the other kit isn't visible in any of the 1/48 shots. Could be they're just being lumped together for subject's sake on the blog. Like I said, I don't even see a FIne Molds logo on the pamphlets, which is unusual - manufacturer logos are usually everywhere (witness the 1/48 kits' backdrop).

And there's definately more to that kit than just the figures. Note the sections removed in the pamphlet:

http://happy.ap.teacup.com/runchickens/img/1179362266.jpg

The radome is off on the pamphlet here (plus, you can see it's 1/35):

http://happy.ap.teacup.com/runchickens/img/1179402437.jpg

...And the display piece has noticeable breaks in the fuselage where removeable panels/sections seem to go. Which aren't on the 1/48 or 1/72 kits.

Latest from Hyperscale: the 1/35 X-Wing is a Gashapon. So it'll be sold in individual (collectable) pieces, which can be assembled into the finished product seen on the stand.

Interesting. I will never fully understand the Japanese it seems. Only they would come up with something like this. Its a cool idea, I just wish they were in 1/48 (that said, I will probably splurge to get them since a 1/35 scale X-Wing would be pretty cool). How many individual pieces will one have to get to do a monster in 1/35? These sub assemblies aren't tiny from what I can tell. :thumbsup:

Just got word on SSM from a poster who lives in Japan and speaks (and reads) fluent Japanese. The 1/35 X-Wing is indeed a trading kit and it is a partner between FineMolds and another company to coincide with the 30th anniversary of SW. Apparently the X-Wing will be divided into 6 parts for sale. Those are going to be some huge pieces, that is for sure.

Edited by Jay Chladek

"Pre-painted 1/35 X-wing kit in 6 parts, produced in collaboration with Fine Molds." That is all that is known at this point. Price and release date to be determined. So we will need 6 boxes to build 1 X-wing. I hope they label the boxes, as I want one and do not want to be stuck buying 6 cockpits to get the nose parts. ;-)

I'm not getting the "warm fuzzies" about all of this. "I feel a great disturbance in the Force".

To tell you the truth, I'm all X-wing'd out from building so many of the 1/72 models. Just give me the 1/72 scale Y-Wings and I'll be happy.

Randy

I'm not getting the "warm fuzzies" about all of this. "I feel a great disturbance in the Force".

To tell you the truth, I'm all X-wing'd out from building so many of the 1/72 models. Just give me the 1/72 scale Y-Wings and I'll be happy.

Randy

Randy, X-Wings are like alcohol....'Enjoy only in moderation". :wub:

In my own case, I may order up to two of these kits, even though I am tempted to go all out (I've got about 5 Y-Wings on pre-order). I still have some MPC kits in my stash, so I think for my first FM 1/48, I will build it side by side with a first run vintage MPC X-Wing kit and call it "Old school, New school" to see how they compare.

Edited by Jay Chladek
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think this is my first post in this forum and I've never built anything space stuff. The closest I've come is a Bell X-2.

With all the Star Wars stuff on TV in the past week (the TiVO was humming recording al six movies) I think I'd like to build some of the ships from the movies. Does FineMolds have a site? Where can you buy these new 1/48th X-Wings? How big would a 48th Star Destroyer be? :rofl:

What other ships from SW are out there still? Are there any good Star Wars modeling sites?

Chappie

Google: 'star destroyer length'

First hit is Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Destroyer

This lists the length, which will probably be based on all sorts of EU crap from the 80's/90's when they released all the 'how Star Wars' works books - vehicle guides, character guides. Naming/categorizing/quantifying every fricken' thing seen in each film, backstories for anything and everyone, et. al. Which are now considered cannonical. The model makers probably had a general idea of size when making the originals, but that pins down a specific number.

That length is listed at 1605m

1605m/48 = 33.4375m

Since Americans are a backwards, reactionary lot stuck with their quaint old measuring system ( :worship: ) convert that to imperial (plus, it kinda fits, for a Star Destroyer...) at http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Which yeilds a 1/48 length of 109.703'.

Which I rounded.

(1298.7')

The 1/48 kits aren't out yet, but your best sources will be Asian. HLJ. Rainbow 10. Luckymodel. YY. You're probably looking at about half the price there vs. US retailers. (literally - Luckymodel sell the 1/72 X-Wing for $19, Roll Models for $42)