The two models I am currently working on (Revell 1966 Pontiac GTO and the Revell Robotech Mecha) has me doing a little more scratch building than I have done in the past. In doing this scratch building I have been using more superglue. I am currently using the Duro Quick Gel No-Run super glue.

I like the quick gel because I can control it's application a little better than the liquid super glue. I can also get two tubes at Wally World for under $2. I was wondering what everyone else uses and why. What is the benefit of using Zap brand (Zap, Zap-a-Gap, Slo-Zap) etc.

Also what is your favorite way to apply CA?

I don't usually worry about what brand of CA it is, as just about any brand I've bought seems to do what it is supposed to do. However, I won't buy CA in large containers (like the bigger bottles sold in your LHS and used mostly by RC'rs). It's not that the glue doesn't work as well, it does, but because I don't use enough CA to warrent their purchase and when I do buy them I end up and lose about 1/2 a bottle because it goes bad. If you open the container, use it and then let it sit for a long period of time, it starts turning dark, and loses its drying/holding power (first clue is when it takes ten or fifteen minutes to dry). So I buy two packs of the smaller containers and use them - that way if they go bad, I'm not out so much money and I can replace them any day of the week.

For my balsa models, Smiths industries and all their variations. Usually packaged with the LHS's name on it. In the rare instances I use it on plastics pacer's plasti-zap

Loctite liquid CA in the long neck bottle. It is more viscous than zap liquid, but not quite as gooey as gel types. I grab it from the local grocery store whenever I am re-stocking the fridge.

Pretty much whatever I can get at Wally World. . .the nearest one has a half-way acceptable plastic-model section (amazing, considering it's the smallest Wal Mart in the whole state of Iowa!) and I pick up a bottle or two of Testors CA when there about once a month.

I've used all kinds of CA, packaged for all kinds of different uses; Duro Gel and regular, Loctite, Krazy Glue, everything Goldberg and Pacer ever made or packaged, "Nail" Glue for fake fingernails sold in cosmetic section of pharmacies and I've simply come to the conclusion that, issues of freshness and shelf-life aside, CA is pretty much CA regardless of the label it comes under.

As long as it bonds and holds, I'm happy!

BTW: ACCELERATOR seems to be another matter! I've had no luck whatsoever with the Testors stuff and now use Pacer Zip-Kicker almost exclusively (ordering it on-line).

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

All my CA products are Bob Smith Industries. I buy my CA in the 1oz bottles, and seal them with a pin after each use.

Super Thin (1-3 seconds) - perfect for closing up fuselage halves.

Gap Filling (5-15 seconds) - I use this one about 75% of the time

Extra Thick (10-25 seconds) - for pin point accuracy, or when a part needs to be settled into position.

Instaset Accelerator - for instantaneous drying