1000 nose number on an F-14D?? (VF-11)

I was watching Military Channel tonight and they reaired the oldie (but a goodie) "Supercarrier, Fortress at Sea" narrated by Martin Sheen. I stopped to watch since it involved a lot of Tomcat action from CAW-14 with F-14D models of VF-31 and VF-11 in abundance onboard the USS Carl Vinson during a six month deployment. Anyway, I saw a pretty odd sight on the deck during one of the shots of the ship with all its aircraft onboard as there was a Red Ripper F-14D with a "1000" number on the nose. It wasn't the CAG bird as that plane was parked next to it and this one was also in low vis colors instead of high vis. Any idea what the reason for this was?

Time period would have been by my reckoning early 1994 as they lost an F-14D from the ship on that cruise (crew ejected safely) during a supersonic run when the starboard engine decided to eat itself in spectacular fashion. Checking my copy of Brown's book, the only candidate aircraft I can find is F-14DR 159633 which was lost on February 22, 1994.

It is probably to celebrate the 1000th aircraft carier trap of one of the crew. I have seen this done before : pilot was celebrating his 1000th carrier landing (trap).

IIRC 100th trap turns crew into a centurion but I am not sure for 1000th reap (millenium??).

Also out of my brain I think final VF-31s CAG is one of the last crew (if not last) to celebrate aboard a Tomcat (what I am not sure was it his 1000th carrier trap or 1000th Tomcat trap?

Cheers

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.
Also out of my brain I think final VF-31s CAG is one of the last crew (if not last) to celebrate aboard a Tomcat (what I am not sure was it his 1000th carrier trap or 1000th Tomcat trap?

"Twig" LaBranche was not the CAG, but the CO of VF-31. And it was his 1000th trap in total (he was an Intruder jock before transitioning to the F-14D).

Edited by Almansur
"Twig" LaBranche was not the CAG, but the CO of VF-31. And it was his 1000th trap in total (he was an Intruder jock before transitioning to the F-14D).

Yeps it was Twig LaBranche I was thinking of and you're right : if he was C"sumptin" of VF-31 he was a CO not a CAG. Thank you also for the info it being his 1000th carrier trap not Tomcat trap.

Vesper : Sorry I may not have been clear. I was not connecting VF-31 (the Tomcatters) and the Red Rippers. I just wanted to inform Jay that VF-31 celebrated the last 1000th crew trap flown aborad an F-14 that I know of.

By the way :

- was really Twig LaBranche trap the last 1000th trap that was celebrated in a Tomcat?

- I think I remember VF-31 once was called the Felix The Catters while flying the Tomcat : did this name stick or when was it used? (time period? reason of name change? or was it used at the same time as the other more common Tomcatters name?) - Any info on this

Cheers all

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

"Twig" was actually CAG Paddles in CVW-14 and appears in the show. He was an A-6 guy at the time and talks about people getting screwed when the VA community shuts down (that show was filmed during the last West Coast A-6 cruise) and that he was lucky to get to go Tomcats.

Spongebob

"Twig" was actually CAG Paddles in CVW-14 and appears in the show. He was an A-6 guy at the time and talks about people getting screwed when the VA community shuts down (that show was filmed during the last West Coast A-6 cruise) and that he was lucky to get to go Tomcats.

Spongebob

I suppose it could have been a VF-31 jet I saw then since it is kind of hard to tell from a distance with both planes painted in low vis colors. Hard to say though as I didn't tape it. If anyone does have it, the view of it on the deck in back can be seen during discussion on the island of the upcoming supersonic run where Lucas (I believe that was his callsign) and his backseater had to punch out.

One other modeling tidbit I like from that show was the Red Rippers had a large version of the symbol in what looked like a magenta red with blue stripes painted on their helmets. Since I have decals for one plane from that time period, I may do a flight crew in it now with the helmets painted like that for something a little different.