Calling Old Blind Dog

Thank you for suggesting Games Workshop "Mithril Silver" for natural metal. I've just sprayed a Czech MiG-19. I thinned it with distilled water and a few drops of retarder and sprayed it with a Badger Anthem. It didn't clog, it sprayed well and it looks GREAT! As a bonus, there's a GW shop, and another stockist that sells their paints, within 10 miles of me. So thank you Sir for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Michael :cheers:

Thank you for suggesting Games Workshop "Mithril Silver" for natural metal. I've just sprayed a Czech MiG-19. I thinned it with distilled water and a few drops of retarder and sprayed it with a Badger Anthem. It didn't clog, it sprayed well and it looks GREAT! As a bonus, there's a GW shop, and another stockist that sells their paints, within 10 miles of me. So thank you Sir for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Michael :cheers:

Is that acrylic based?

Thanks Mike! I can hardly take any credit, though, as it was Kevin "Smithery" Smith who put me onto the stuff in the first place!

It sure is a fantastic paint, and I can hardly wait to start work on some of my other NMF projects (man! I NEVER thought I'd hear myself say that!) I've got a lot of NMFs on the to-do list in both 1/72 and 1/48 including several MiG-15s, F-84s, F-86s, P-38, P-47 and P-51s!

And yes, wffwii, Citadel Mithril Silver (and other Citadel paints) are acylic.

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog

Are there any pics of Citadel Mithril Silver on a completed model available? I'm curious how it matches up with the various natural metal finishes found on WW II German test aircraft, US WW II aircraft, post-war jets, and Soviet jets that all seem to be quite distinctive.

Are there any pics of Citadel Mithril Silver on a completed model available? I'm curious how it matches up with the various natural metal finishes found on WW II German test aircraft, US WW II aircraft, post-war jets, and Soviet jets that all seem to be quite distinctive.

Hey Horrido,

My build of an SNJ-5c is in the prop gallery in the "Harvard and Texan" section.

Also, doing a search on this forum for "Citadel Silver" ought to turn up a picture of Smithery's excellent work using Citadel Mithril Silver on a modern jet.

Using Citadel Chainmail for contrast, and varying the type of primer (I used Tamiya Gray) it would be possible to achieve a very realistic multi-toned effect with these paints IMHO.

I'm just glad that there's finally a fairly-easy-to-use acrylic metallic of this calibre on the market!

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

Hmmmm, interesting. Our local hobby shop actually sells this stuff but i did not realsie it was acrylic. Next NMF, I'm gonna give it a whirl......just as soon as i get around to starting something :D I've been going thru my small 'to build' stash & can't get excited about anything at present - maybe i'd better find a nice little nmf jet somewhere on Ebay. Hey, did any Aussies fly Sabres????? That would be the go <_< Did 77 squadron go onto Sabres after their Meteors - i feel some research coming on.

Yeeesssss loooook Aussie Sabres

OK, I'm on a roll B)

Edited by Thommo
Hmmmm, interesting. Our local hobby shop actually sells this stuff but i did not realsie it was acrylic. Next NMF, I'm gonna give it a whirl......just as soon as i get around to starting something <_< I've been going thru my small 'to build' stash & can't get excited about anything at present - maybe i'd better find a nice little nmf jet somewhere on Ebay. Hey, did any Aussies fly Sabres????? That would be the go :yahoo: Did 77 squadron go onto Sabres after their Meteors - i feel some research coming on.

Yeeesssss loooook Aussie Sabres

OK, I'm on a roll :beer4:

Avon Sabres Thommo!

Twin 20mm cannon and Avon Engines. Probably the most heavily armed Sabre's in service :D

B)

Johno

looks interesting.

I'd read about that tip from OBD earlier.

I went to the local gaming shop and picked up a small jar.

The young fellow there told me that the paint line is being reworked.

Avon Sabres Thommo!

Twin 20mm cannon and Avon Engines. Probably the most heavily armed Sabre's in service :angry:

:beer4:

Johno

Yup got em Johno

I'm gonna make one - but I'll be using the old Matchbox Sabre as the base as I just discovered I got three of em. I know the body shape is prob not technically correct to accommodate the larger engine & i;ll have to modify the 6 MG slots to 2 cannons, but it'll be near enuff.

The big question - does anyone make a 1/72 details set for the Sabre or am I gonna have to do the big scratchy job again???

Yup got em Johno

I'm gonna make one - but I'll be using the old Matchbox Sabre as the base as I just discovered I got three of em. I know the body shape is prob not technically correct to accommodate the larger engine & i;ll have to modify the 6 MG slots to 2 cannons, but it'll be near enuff.

The big question - does anyone make a 1/72 details set for the Sabre or am I gonna have to do the big scratchy job again???

Thommo

Eduard make a PE set in :72 for the Fujimi Sabre, so you could shoehorn that in.

Mate, the Matchbox kit is an F-86A and is a little inaccurate, but would make a fine kit to fill n sand for the project.

huff-01.jpg

Alternatively and if you are super keen you could get the High Planes CAC Sabre conversion, which consists of fuselage and decals.. You can use the HC F-86F-30 (I think?) kit for the remainder of the bits.

:angry:

Johno

Thommo

Eduard make a PE set in :72 for the Fujimi Sabre, so you could shoehorn that in.

Mate, the Matchbox kit is an F-86A and is a little inaccurate, but would make a fine kit to fill n sand for the project.

huff-01.jpg

Alternatively and if you are super keen you could get the High Planes CAC Sabre conversion, which consists of fuselage and decals.. You can use the HC F-86F-30 (I think?) kit for the remainder of the bits.

:worship:

Johno

Is that the Matchbox kit there is that pic Johno - bloody nice - what have you used in the cockpit for the IP, seat etc>

I saw the Red Roo Sabre conversion kit, but can't justify spending the money when I have 3 M'box sabres to deal with. Might try to find that Eduard PE though.

thanks mate

Thommo

Yes, the kit is the Matchbox one. Scratchbuilt IP with Superscale IP decal and I tizzed up the bang seat with good old Tamiya tape. Just enough to make it look better. I also added a bit here and there. It looks good enough for my eyes, underneath a thick closed canopy!

:worship:

Johno

Thommo

Yes, the kit is the Matchbox one. Scratchbuilt IP with Superscale IP decal and I tizzed up the bang seat with good old Tamiya tape. Just enough to make it look better. I also added a bit here and there. It looks good enough for my eyes, underneath a thick closed canopy!

:cheers:

Johno

Geez even with the thick canopy you can see a lot thru it - I'm starting to lean toward another major scratching job for my cockpit - can't find the Eduard PE you mention. The canopy in my kit is scratched as hell, but I'll polish & future it back to life :worship: I expect this is gonna be a slow build - I'm flat chat at work with a new contract at the moment (forestry) - should involve a few trips to WA from time to time so i'm gearing up for another WASMex mate, maybe in 2008. I now have 2 half time jobs which really means 1.5 jobs :huh:

BTW my wife goes under the knife in the next few days - she was training up for World Masters Athletics in Italy in Sept, but blew a knee cartilage big time in the gym about 3 weeks ago. Got the MRI scan results y'day - major meniscus tear. She's still shooting for a Jana Pitman effort though, hoping to make Italy - 6 weeks off the track (can cycle, gym, water run thou), then 6 weeks training. I then get to handle the whole house & kids on my own for 3 weeks while she's away - OMG! :lol:

Strewth mate, that would be a major setback for her! I hope she recovers quickly from the operation :worship:

Be good to catch up again at WASMEx. I will be helping more with the organisation hopefully this year onwards as I am not standing for PDMC president again.

Actually I have 2-3 Matchbox Sabre's left in my stash as well. They are nice kits with no real vices, though watch the instructions as they tell you to install the main gear on the wrong sides. I replaced the exhaust with some tubing and blanked off the intake as it was a see through OOB.

You might want to save some time and see if you can get hold of an old/new or junked Heller/Airfix F-86. Might save some scratch building time.

:lol:

Johno

though watch the instructions as they tell you to install the main gear on the wrong sides.

Huh??? Do you mean the side of the wheels with the little holes dotted around the rim should face outwards, not inwards as on th instructions?

OK yeah I see - step 5 has the wheels facing the right way but in step8, they are facing wrong way

Edited by Thommo
Huh??? Do you mean the side of the wheels with the little holes dotted around the rim should face outwards, not inwards as on th instructions?

Almost

Actually I did not explain that so well mate, make sure the torque links are facing forward and the wheel is inboard of the main gear oleo leg (see below). Also ensure protruding wheel hub is facing inboard as well. This is unlike the instructions which shows the wheels facing out and around the wrong way.

If you install the main gear as per instructions you will not be able to install the bay doors correctly.

You will need to drill a hole on the other side of the wheel and plug the incorrect hole on the wheel's other side for this to be achieved.

F86.jpg

NorthAmericanF86Sabre1.jpgsabre.jpg

:(

Johno

edit: pics added, showing wheel arrangement from front and the instructions for the installation of the main gear.

Edited by madmike

Oh yeah - got it. Actually, the ARC walkaround pics of the Avon Sabre have a really good pic of the main gear. They show a hole on the inside as well. On my kit, the wheels have holes both sides so that should be OK.