need help/F15 info

hello

I would like to start my 1/32 tamiya F15J and modify this one into a F15C USAF 32TFS CR Soesterberg, NL.

What should I need to replace, except for a couple of antennes....???

Anybody good with this? :(

What should I need to replace. Engines? Cockpit details?

If someone knows a lot between these two versions, please I need some advice.

much appreciated.

D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the MADs are included for the kit (must be from the C moulding sprue), the TEWs is missing but will make one from plastic rod/tube.

Nothing one with the turkeyfeathers engines?

The kits doesn't include AAM3s (for the J version) so I conclude Tamiya used the same sprues for C and J.

Mayby some instruments from the cockpit.

Still like to know what the changes are from Tamiya's C and J version.

A scanned Tamiya 1/32 F15C instructions would work great though....I might compare it to the J-version.

Mayby too much to asked for?

<_<

Anyway, all help welcome

:)

Edited by cag_200
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the MADs are included for the kit (must be from the C moulding sprue), the TEWs is missing but will make one from plastic rod/tube.

Nothing one with the turkeyfeathers engines?

The kits doesn't include AAM3s (for the J version) so I conclude Tamiya used the same sprues for C and J.

Mayby some instruments from the cockpit.

Still like to know what the changes are from Tamiya's C and J version.

A scanned Tamiya 1/32 F15C instructions would work great though....I might compare it to the J-version.

Mayby too much to asked for?

:cheers:

Anyway, all help welcome

:thumbsup:

A J Model is essentially a C model minus the TWES pod and the MAD on the left chine as Js are not MSIP jets. The engine faces are a bit diffrerent as well but noone will notice if you dont tell them :) The engines are also turkey featherless just like US C models. I have seen some J model minus the fairing that covers the tail hook muck like US E models but not on all jets. Drop me a pM if I can be of any more help.

All the best

Mike Reeves

"J's" have gone through the MISP mods (cockpit wise at least). I use a photo of a "J" cockpit in our lecture slides to teach our tech school students.

Hey Chris

Since I have been out of the game for a while...when did the Js go through MSIP?? This is brand new to me.

Hey Chris

Since I have been out of the game for a while...when did the Js go through MSIP?? This is brand new to me.

I don't know if the "J" has actually gone thru the full MSIP conversion. I do know that they have had the MPCD installed since the early 90's. I walked thru a F-15J debrief room in Japan in 1993 and was shocked to see the MPCD when we were just going thru the MSIP conversion in my squadron at Kadena. Even back then the JASDF had datalink capability to link the F-15J to the Hawkeye. We didn't have datalink back then.

Were the Soesterberg jets MSIP? If not then the "J" panel would be wrong. The Tamiya "C" kit has the non MSIP instrument panel.

Cheers,

Darren McTee

Edited by jettdude
hello

I would like to start my 1/32 tamiya F15J and modify this one into a F15C USAF 32TFS CR Soesterberg, NL.

What should I need to replace, except for a couple of antennes....???

Anybody good with this? :deadhorse1:

What should I need to replace. Engines? Cockpit details?

If someone knows a lot between these two versions, please I need some advice.

much appreciated.

D

I am currently building the Tamiya F-15C. The Tamiya C and J kit have a few areas that are wrong because Tamiya did not change the molds from the "E" model kit. The JFS intakes on the top of the jet between the engines E style...not C/J. And there is an extra set of access panels on top of the engines. The engine faces are easily converted by cutting and filing. Also, the metal nose gear is E style. If you look at the bottom portion of the strut...below "shock"....the strut is beefy and square. This should be much more round round and thinner. It can easily be filed down to the proper shape. I have pictures of all of these conversion if you are interested. I will soon be starting a FULL online build here on ARC to show all the changes I have done to this kit.

Have fun...but this kit is NOT typical Tamiya...there are some issues.

Darren McTee

Thx a bunch :thumbsup: Guys!

I've been away awhile, but sure checked this one out first on the web!

One question by Darren did the job.

->Were the Soesterberg jets MSIP? If not then the "J" panel would be wrong. The Tamiya "C" kit has the non MSIP instrument panel.<-

The F15 will be a A-model from CR, Wolfhounds (dutch decals).

79-0027 CR 027

This aircraft operated in Provide Comfort' jan 1993 a Mig23 kill.

I will check out the Tamiya 'E' gear and compare it to the early A models.

There are C models used by TFS32, as pics show.

http://www.slobberinwolfhounds.com/

:popcorn:

When checking the Airliners.net, it seems:

*77-0124 (cn 411/A336) Still without the classic CR tailcode. These MSIP Eagles were only shortly deployed on Dutch soil as the USAFE left Soesterberg just a few years later.

Thats a relief..WHATS MSIP??

The Multi-Stage Improvement Program (MSIP) is a joint program carried out by McDonnell Douglas and the USAF's Warner Robins Logistics Center in Georgia. Under MSIP, upgrades were progressively incorporated onto the production line and then retrofitted to earlier production aircraft. ....ETC ETC ETC

gotta read this first :thumbsup:

Edited by cag_200

...From the start of production, the F-15C dispensed with the engine exhaust "turkey feathers" which covered the variable nozzles, greatly simplifying the maintainence. However, by the time of the appearance of the F-15C, these had been deleted in the field from most of the in-service F-15As as well, so the presence or absence of engine nozzle turkey feathers is not necessarily a reliable external indicator of whether a single-seat Eagle is an A or a C....

The AMRAAM capability...

:thumbsup: now we R getting somewehere !

Was this MIG23 shot down by AIM7F or .....120?

My guess that it's an AIM-7F. Never seen photos of CR F-15's with LAU-128 or AIM-120's on them. I recall an question by me to an old Dutch Air Force guy that worked at the time that the Wolfhoundas were stationed there and he said there were never any AIM-120 used on the CR F-15's.

And I have a bit of an answer for you guys, I think. :unsure:

http://www.slobberinwolfhounds.com/index.p...parentid=i__617

Either a Sparrow or a Sidewinder - AFAIK no AMRAAMs were fired in anger during Desert Storm.

During the last few days of the conflict it flew on the Eagles, but by that time there was nothing left to lob 'em at.

HTH,

Andre

I just read that part:

????Seems!!!!! 4 AIM7Ms were fired to get the iraqi MIG23 down. 3 of the 4 failed to start engines...

............Come on' Guyz..... :unsure:

Edited by cag_200

CAG 200,

Sorry dude that I didn't react earlier but for some reason I missed Your cry for help. Anyway:

I happen to have the Tamiya F-15C in my stash so I should be able to scan the instructions so You can figure out the differences between the two kits Yourself. Furthermore I should have a magazine laying around somewhere, soley dedicated to the 32nd. It covers some history and quite some nice pictures with might be of help for Your build. If You send me a "Personal Message" (PM) with Your address details, I can scan the stuff for You, put it on a CD-ROM & mail it to You.

Finaly: great to hear that You've decided to build a "CR-bird". Did You know that they were the only "ROYAL" Squadron within the USAF? Back then they were fully integrated within the Dutch Air Defense. That's also the reason why they had the orange tail-flash (orange is the colour of our royal house) & the crown in the middle of the fin-flash. This meant that they also performed QRA-duties ("Quick Reaction Alert") on behalf of the Dutch Air Force. Back in those days they would often be scrambled by CRC BANDBOX in order to investigate certain "track's of interest". I still remeber the month before the squadron was to be disbanded. Each & every day they would fly their "last" sortie over Holland, giving them a good excuse to perform a fly-pass over my former unit (CRC Bandbox). It was surely a sight to behold, seeing 4 Eagles in an Echelon Right formation coming overhead at 300Ft (at least that's what the pilots reported on their alti-meter....)

Well Cag-200, I hope the information above has been of some interest to You. Please let me know if You're interested in the proposed information & I'll make sure it will arive in Your mail-box in the near future.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: Try to get a hold of the Revell 1/32 F-15C decalsheet. This sheet includes decals for a CR-bird as well as almost every marking found on the bird. Decals are printed in good register, but are of the old Revell-quality: rather stiff & a lot of tendency to "silver".

...From the start of production, the F-15C dispensed with the engine exhaust "turkey feathers" which covered the variable nozzles, greatly simplifying the maintainence. However, by the time of the appearance of the F-15C, these had been deleted in the field from most of the in-service F-15As as well, so the presence or absence of engine nozzle turkey feathers is not necessarily a reliable external indicator of whether a single-seat Eagle is an A or a C....

The AMRAAM capability...

:thumbsup: now we R getting somewehere !

Just a small correction:

Out of the top of my head; the 32nd received their C-models somewhere in the (early) 80's. During that time-frame the AIM-120 wasn't available yet... Thus, the WOLFHOUND Eagle's operated the C-model equiped with 4x AIM-9 & 4x AIM-7 for QRA-duties. Therefore the AMRAAM (AIM-120) is not an indicator whether your looking at an A(/:worship:-model WOLFHOUND or a C(/D)-model WOLFHOUND. The only way to be sure is to look at the registration-numbers. I'm not quite sure but I think the C(/D)-models start of with the fiscal year "80". If You guy's like I think I can get a hold of the registration-numbers regarding A/B/C & D models, operated by the 32nd.

Just a small correction:

Out of the top of my head; the 32nd received their C-models somewhere in the (early) 80's. During that time-frame the AIM-120 wasn't available yet... Thus, the WOLFHOUND Eagle's operated the C-model equiped with 4x AIM-9 & 4x AIM-7 for QRA-duties. Therefore the AMRAAM (AIM-120) is not an indicator whether your looking at an A(/:thumbsup:-model WOLFHOUND or a C(/D)-model WOLFHOUND. The only way to be sure is to look at the registration-numbers. I'm not quite sure but I think the C(/D)-models start of with the fiscal year "80". If You guy's like I think I can get a hold of the registration-numbers regarding A/B/C & D models, operated by the 32nd.

Actually C/D models started in 1979. The 22 and 525 jets we had at Bitburg in the late 80s and early 90s were all C/D non MSIP 1979-1980 jets. The 53rd was a whole nuther animal...they had MSIP C/D 1984 jets.

Oh and please if anyone is looking at the Astra Bitburg sheet, dont think that the 22 and 525 jets were 1984 models. The decal sheet is just plain wrong.

Mike

Edited by Bitburg Mike Reeves
When checking the Airliners.net, it seems:

*77-0124 (cn 411/A336) Still without the classic CR tailcode. These MSIP Eagles were only shortly deployed on Dutch soil as the USAFE left Soesterberg just a few years later.

Thats a relief..WHATS MSIP??

The Multi-Stage Improvement Program (MSIP) is a joint program carried out by McDonnell Douglas and the USAF's Warner Robins Logistics Center in Georgia. Under MSIP, upgrades were progressively incorporated onto the production line and then retrofitted to earlier production aircraft. ....ETC ETC ETC

gotta read this first :huh:

Note the C-style wheels on 77-0124. That photo was shortly before it went to the Massachusetts ANG 102nd FW. So if you want to model it from the 1992 time-frame the wheels in the kit will be fine.

Here's a couple shots from 2004

F-15A%2077-124%20Otis%20102%20FW%20Otis%20ANGB%202004%2002.jpg

F-15A%2077-124%20Otis%20102%20FW%20Otis%20ANGB%202004%2003.jpg

We at Langley started to receive the Cmodels in 1981, till then we operated A/B models. I got my first C model (ahhhh the new plane smell) 82-0019 spring of 1983. The 94th still had a few A/Bs and we in the 27th still had a few A/Bs. I am not sure when the Burg got C models but I think it was the mid-80s, so prior to that point they had A models (non MISPed of course). Allot of our A models went to the 318th and 48th, my A model went to the 318th (76-0057).

Dave

great stuff !

I need to check the gears for changes and BuNo's.

I'll go for the 32TFS, and use the beautifil dutch decal set, looks sweet to me, prints r looking very good.

As for the weaponstationary: I'll see it gets some attention.

thx for all advice/pictures/details Guyz, much appreciated

Lets print this thread :popcorn: