What Color Wash over dark base?

Hey everyone,

I am building a Hasegawa A6M5 Zero Type 52 and need some advice on what color to use for the wash on the radial engine? I painted the engine using the kit's recommended Gunze Aqueous Steel (H18) which is pretty dark. SHould I use an even darker wash...burnt umber?

Also, if I coat that part with Future to do the wash, can I dry brush over the Future?

Finally, when dry brushing in general, it seems like the paint is getting too dry in the brush between getting rid of the paint on newspaper, and doing the actual dry-brush. It seems like it goes on gummy...I am new to this so am not sure if I am doing something wrong?

Thanks for all the help, I am glad I came across this site!!!

Zack

Hey Zack. . .welcome to ARC!

I've painted the engine on the fix or six A6M5s I've built to date with Gunze Steel. . .and then followed up by dry-brushing Tamiya Flat Aluminum or Citadel Chainmail to bring out the push-rod detail etc. Just be very light-handed when applying the lighter metallic and you'll be quite amazed at how much detail pops out at you.

For a wash (to get into the recessed areas on the engine) I'd recommend using The Detailer (pre-mixed acylic wash) black. You could apply a coat of Future beforehand but it's not really necessary IMHO.

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

Thanks for the tips guys, I will give them a shot. I just happen to have some of that detailer! The hobby guy here sold it to me, and I didn't think I would ever use it.

Would you guys recommend doing the wash (detailer or Tamiya Smoke) before or after the dry brush? Seems like the wash first, then the dry brush is the way to go

Would you guys recommend doing the wash (detailer or Tamiya Smoke) before or after the dry brush? Seems like the wash first, then the dry brush is the way to go

Definately before!

:cheers:

MikeJ