F-14 Loadout for Operation Frequent Wind

"Frequent Wind" was the evacuation of Saigon, wasn't it?

I knew the Tomcats were "around", but didn't know they actually flew any missions. Very interesting!

I'd also like to hear more!

Hey Guys,

During the evacuation of Saigon during Operation Frequent Wind Tomcats of VF-2 from the USS Enterprise "flew some top cover missions". I can't find to much written about them in my reference books, but I would guess they were armed with Sparrows and Sidewinders. Of course they had the gun as well. I'm not even sure of the number of missions they flew. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help out a little more.

Chuck

probably a 2X2X2 (2 each) loadout, 2x2x0 (no phoenix) or a 4x2x0 (4 sparrows, no phoenix) loadout would've been the most common. I have, however, seen pictures of "Frequent Wind" tomcats packing sparrows and phoenixes with no 'winders.

Further to that, it was a lot more common to see Tomcats with no droptanks operating from the boat (they didn't become "boat standard" until the late 1970s). And if they DID have droptanks, they were the older versions of the tank with the fins located in the rear on either side.

(edited to fix a minor error :thumbsup: )

Edited by Skull Leader
Darned interesting...I knew they covered the evacuation on their first cruise and didn't encounter any air opposition, but would not have guessed they did it sans Phoenix's. Ya learn something every day!

I've heard mixed rumors that they tangled with a couple of MiGs, but I do not know if any shots were fired. At least one member on here knows Curt Dose pretty well (MiG killer in Vietnam, and early VF-2 guy), maybe he could shed more light.

Darned interesting...I knew they covered the evacuation on their first cruise and didn't encounter any air opposition, but would not have guessed they did it sans Phoenix's. Ya learn something every day!

Only if we'd had the F-14 during Linebacker in '72.

Chappie

Thanks guys, I'll probably do a 2x2x2 or 2x3x2.

I was in the TACRON det. that relieved the guys who participated in the evac. They had some interesting

stories about working 12 hr. shifts in radar then going up on deck and pushing the same helos they

helped guide in off the deck!

John

I had never heard that they tangled with migs, thats interesting! Also on that subject I did read on the tomcat sunset forum that there may have been a strafing run(s).

As for the tanks, I though the original style was the same as the new style, the only difference being the tailcone and fins.

Edited by tomcatter727

You're right. I was obviously smoking something. Both are 2000 lb tanks, just the early ones have fins on the back... Edited the original post.

(I have shamed myself in the halls of Tomcat academia... :cheers: )

You're right. I was obviously smoking something. Both are 2000 lb tanks, just the early ones have fins on the back... Edited the original post.

(I have shamed myself in the halls of Tomcat academia... :( )

I didnt mean for my post to be rude, I just thought it might be worth mentioning.....but.....

SHAME ON YOU! :) :(

• 3 years later...

I have been looking for info on this subject forever! First off, where can I find photos dealing with Tomcats during the Frequent Wind mission? Second, I have heard that one Tomcat was LIGHTLY damaged by enemy flak (can anyone confirm?) I also spoke with a guy who served on another (smaller) carrier nearby during FW, and he said they had no Tomcats, but they launched A-6s, A-7s, F-4s, F-8s, and I think A-4s to support the evac, can anyone confirm the presence of any other armed aircraft aside from F-14, A-7, AC-119, A-1, AH-1, and possibly USAF F-4 and AC-130?

Photos of armed aircraft during the evac would be useful, as I too am trying to model fighters supporting the evacuation process.

Armament carried on "Frequent Wind"......clean underwear and several cans of beans...... :thumbsup:

Funny thing is, my Brother's Native American name is Frequent Wind ... :pray:

Gregg

(I have shamed myself in the halls of Tomcat academia... :( )

Looked around a bit and found this:

http://anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-extfuel.htm

One of the shots shows the early tank flying on an early A.

According to what I have read VF-1 and VF-2 had F-14's and in 1975 they flew over TF 77 providing air cover.

Reading NHHC's Order of Battle, http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm,

USS ENTERPRISE (CVAN-65) with CVW-14 (17 Sep 1974 to 20 May 1975)

VF-l F-14A

VF-2 F-14A

VA-27 A-7E

VA-97 A-7E

VA-196 A-6A & KA-6D

VAQ-137 EA-6B

HS-2 SH-3D

VAW-113 E-2B

RVAH-12 RA-5C

*VQ-l Det 65 EA-3B

From the histories that I have neither of the two squadrons got any closer then the 12 mile limit. It was the F-4's that were crossing the beach from off ships like the Midway, Constellation, Kitty Hawk, etc. Along with that most of what I have read in some personal histories of F-14 drivers was that the even though the AIM-54A had arrived to the fleet in 1974, wasn't really in complete fleet service (in large enough inventories to support deployments) until late 1975 (like that fall). So more then likely your looking at AIM-9G/H with AIM-7E's primarly on the F-14's.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked "Turk" Pentecost on this subject, he was one of VF-1's pilots on their first and second cruise. he's also a member of the F-14 association so you might also ask him directly via their channels again but according to what he remembers:

They indeed also carried some Phoenix occassionally. Definitely no drop tanks (the ones with the winglets) They had them packed but they weren't used since the winglets kept the tanks just that tad of a second too long in the air after a potential drop to damage the ventral strakes.

According to him a standard load out of 2 AIM-54's, two Sparrows and two Winders wouldn't be unrealistic. Main Phoenix rails were definitely kept on even without having the Phoenix packed during later ops. So just two winders and sparrows with blank Phoenix rails would be an option as well.

Later on they more often carried just four winders on the side pylons.

Dan put up some nice shots of VF-1's birds over Vietnam on his site:

http://www.fitronone.com/www.fitronone.com...Pages/F-14.html

Edited by bushande

Wow, I had no clue they actually took the IRST out with them on the first cruise! Make sense with the timeframe, but I guess they hadn't waved the white flag yet on it out in the fleet... AWESOME pics!

• 6 years later...