Guys in Anaheim Area - Any good places to eat? Good Hobby Shops/Museum

The Hat's pastrami is about 3rd best on the list. Unfortunatly the BEST pastrami is in LA (Culver City) about 45 minutes away at Washington and Sepulveda. A place called 'Johnnys' Try that and then tell me about your favorite. Not to say I didn't enjoy the Hat but if you like pastrami...give Johnnys a try...then go to torrance and try New york deli on sepulveda (what is it about that street??) and try the kosher pastrami... knockout stuff there

Hearing you reccommend "The Hat" stirs up a lot of memories. Was raised in Alhambra, lived on 2nd st. My paper route (Post Advocate) ended at Valley Blvd and 2nd st. Nobody makes 'em (Pastami) better.

Well anyone who is not from SoCal should try In 'n' Out Burger! This place has some of the best burgers around. All there stuff is fresh made and the prices are great too! There all over SoCal. This place is a must in my opinion.

Mike

Being a resident of the Southern California area all my life here are my suggestions.

Lunch/dinner- North Woods Inn in La Mirada. North on the 5 freeway to Valley View exit. You can see the restaurant from the freeway. Best food for the price and a decent bar away from the 'touristy' places around Disneyland. The prices are not fast food, but you will get all you pay for. Steaks, lobster, fish etc with the biggest baked potatoes around. The salads are great, a well stocked bar that pours a good drink and all the peanuts you can eat and you throw the shells on the floor.

Fast food- In-n-Out is the best burger and fries around. All fresh meat, slice their own potatoes, great prices and the T-shirts make great gifts for the family. A South Cal legend and located in the same area as North Woods Inn.

Hobby shop- The Military Shop in Long Beach off the 405 freeway near the intersection of Stearns and Palo Verde. Great selection, all the good stuff like resin, decals, books and mags besides the latest plastic. The "Cheers" of hobby shops. Weekends only at this time but with the convention in town who knows.

Where I'll be;

Oldfartmodeler

There is also Mimi's, which I have not seen listed in this thread yet. Good place,and family friendly also.

Oh Mimi's Cafe is really good. It has a French Quarter theme to it. Real nice cozy place. Great food.

Mike

Well anyone who is not from SoCal should try In 'n' Out Burger! This place has some of the best burgers around. All there stuff is fresh made and the prices are great too! There all over SoCal. This place is a must in my opinion.

Mike

HELL YEAH :blink:!!!!!!!!!!

As for the hobby shops, you mean the 220 tables of the best vendors and manufactures in the world won't be enough? :thumbsup:

They weren't enough for me at the 2005 Nats in Atlanta, so why should this one be any different? :thumbsup:

Larry Engesath

It's been a long time since I lived there, but, is the restaurant that had the sign "5 out of 4 eat here" still around? I think it was on Katella, a lot of the California Angels used to eat there. When they blew the play-offs in '81 or '82 one of the regulars took all his jersys and what-not and burned them in the parking lot! I found it, Mr. Stox! It was very good back in the day.

Don't forget Tommy's, way better than In-N-Out, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

my wife and i honeymooned in Anaheim, you MUST eat at Los Sanchez. GREAT cali-mex food, great prices, and a cool, kinda "family get together" atmosphere. If you like Mexican, this is a must. Most other places were kinda bland for me....but i am from Louisiana originally so that could be why. :blink:

Bill

my wife and i honeymooned in Anaheim, you MUST eat at Los Sanchez. GREAT cali-mex food, great prices, and a cool, kinda "family get together" atmosphere.

Los Sanchez is good, and not too far away. You may also want to check out Casa Gamino at Brookhurst and Ball, or Old Mexico Restaurant on Lincoln near Beach.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
The Hat's pastrami is about 3rd best on the list. Unfortunatly the BEST pastrami is in LA (Culver City) about 45 minutes away at Washington and Sepulveda. A place called 'Johnnys' Try that and then tell me about your favorite. Not to say I didn't enjoy the Hat but if you like pastrami...give Johnnys a try...then go to torrance and try New york deli on sepulveda (what is it about that street??) and try the kosher pastrami... knockout stuff there

I believe the same guy started up both spots. (johnnys & The Hat)
Being a resident of the Southern California area all my life here are my suggestions.

Lunch/dinner- North Woods Inn in La Mirada. North on the 5 freeway to Valley View exit. You can see the restaurant from the freeway. Best food for the price and a decent bar away from the 'touristy' places around Disneyland. The prices are not fast food, but you will get all you pay for. Steaks, lobster, fish etc with the biggest baked potatoes around. The salads are great, a well stocked bar that pours a good drink and all the peanuts you can eat and you throw the shells on the floor.

Fast food- In-n-Out is the best burger and fries around. All fresh meat, slice their own potatoes, great prices and the T-shirts make great gifts for the family. A South Cal legend and located in the same area as North Woods Inn.

Hobby shop- The Military Shop in Long Beach off the 405 freeway near the intersection of Stearns and Palo Verde. Great selection, all the good stuff like resin, decals, books and mags besides the latest plastic. The "Cheers" of hobby shops. Weekends only at this time but with the convention in town who knows.

Where I'll be;

Oldfartmodeler

Dido on the North Woods Inn. Drive there (San Gabriel) every year for my birthday. 140 mile round trip and I do notdrive back.

Has anyone been to Modelmania in Fullerton? It's been about 10 years for me. It's on Commonwealth Blvd. They have tons of older stuff that was in some order. It was a lot of fun digging around there for stuff and finding stuff I wasn't looking for or didn't know existed.

When my Dad first moved out to California from New York/New Jersey living, he told the taxi driver he needed to get to Sepulveda but pronounced it "Sep-ull-veeeeda" ... The poor guy didn't know where he needed to go until my Dad said his job interview was in Torrance at Douglas Aircraft ... This was waaaay back in 1956 ...

Gregg

I was hitting Brookhurst Hobbies when they were in the old store back in the mid 80s and it had been there for awhile ... They were my first place to go to for the new kits ...

Gregg