Louis Delfino's Yak-3 color question

I just picked up the Superscale sheet (72-681) for the Normandie Niemen Yak-3's. They have Louis Delfino's Yak-3 as olive green (FS 24098) and dark earth (FS 30118) camo.

Is this correct? I have another SS scale sheet that has a couple of errors IRT schemes so if I do this one I wanted to make sure the colors were correct.

Yak-3 "White Infinity", Louis Delfino, 303 IAD, 1944: Col. Delfino, the Commander of the N-N Regiment, was a bit of a wild character, and had his tactical number rendered as "infinity". This decal set covers his machine well, although the painting and color guide issued with the sheet is utterly ridiculous, and can be quickly thrown out. All of these machines wear the usual AMT-11/-12/-7 livery with rather normal color theme applications.

I found this at the VVS website so I'm assuming this is good info. I was hoping for the sheet to be correct though just to get a little variety since my Lagg-3 is in the AMT-11/-12/-7 scheme. At least my Yak-9 has a olive green and black camo scheme. :)

And while we're on the subject of Normandie Niemen, do these decals exist for this plane in 1/72?

img0.jpg

Not that I have seen. The version of the plane I have seen in other color profiles shows it as a black 44 with maybe only a french roundel and no flag behind it. It is a pretty easy one to piece together as I have been considering using it for my Accurate Minis Yak-1b kit. I've got plenty of red stars I can utilize and the color combo is easy as well. In 1/72, it should be a similar situation.

The Osprey book "French Aces of WW2" has a picture of this plane shown from the right side and it only has the roundel below the cockpit. Other N-N planes for the most part (there are exceptions though) don't seem to carry any squadron badges based on the research I have seen, just tiny French roundels on the side and maybe a blue, white and red painted spinner (and iron cross kill markings instead of tiny red stars). Of course granted since I am a relative newcomer to the Normandie-Niemen stuff, I am sure there is better research out there.

• 1 year later...

I have two photos of Delfino's machine (and I am going to build another model of it-the first one

had the wrong camo pattern*do not follow Eduard's pattern*)

and it used a 'standard' NKAP template inspired scheme.

the right-side view here is somewhat unique to the Yak-3 whereas the left and top view of the Yak-9

seem to be fairly common to both Yak-3 and Yak-9.

yak-example2.gif

yak-example1.gif

• 3 years later...

Not that I have seen. The version of the plane I have seen in other color profiles shows it as a black 44 with maybe only a french roundel and no flag behind it. It is a pretty easy one to piece together as I have been considering using it for my Accurate Minis Yak-1b kit. I've got plenty of red stars I can utilize and the color combo is easy as well. In 1/72, it should be a similar situation.

The Osprey book "French Aces of WW2" has a picture of this plane shown from the right side and it only has the roundel below the cockpit. Other N-N planes for the most part (there are exceptions though) don't seem to carry any squadron badges based on the research I have seen, just tiny French roundels on the side and maybe a blue, white and red painted spinner (and iron cross kill markings instead of tiny red stars). Of course granted since I am a relative newcomer to the Normandie-Niemen stuff, I am sure there is better research out there.

The Colorado Decals 1/72 sheet 72-51 Made in Portugal by Seridecal does provide this version.COL7251_LRG.jpg

Edited by coxswainF912