Anyone looking forward to the AZ Models' Spitfire PR XI?

A friend went into a local shop, earlier this week, and asked for a look inside the box. What he saw was the ICM IX, plus a new resin chin, resin blanking plates for the gunbays, and a vacform canopy, nothing more. The whole lot was more than double the price of the ICM kit; it's resealed, and back on the shelf :)

Edgar

Wot, no camera ports?

Maybe I'll stick with the original plan of an ICM kit and a bit of good old scratchbuilding. Thanks for the info Edgar.

A friend went into a local shop, earlier this week, and asked for a look inside the box. What he saw was the ICM IX, plus a new resin chin, resin blanking plates for the gunbays, and a vacform canopy, nothing more. The whole lot was more than double the price of the ICM kit; it's resealed, and back on the shelf :huh:

Edgar

Well, when you check the prices (and unavailability) of PR XI conversion sets, you'll go back.

You didn't mention that the kit also includes a small PE fret with camera ports.

My only gripe is that there are no fuel pump blisters (easy to scratchbuild), and also no drawings of the wet wing - you'll need to do some scribing for leading edge fuel ports.

Going back? I hardly think so. Deeper chin; about 20grms Milliput-50p, at the most. Camera housing, 10-15thou plasticard-5p. Gunbay panels, sand off bulges-no charge. Canopy, Aeroclub C063 (2 off) £1.30. Now, if you don't think that adding £13 to an £11 kit, for that little lot, is just a touch over the top, there really isn't much point saying any more. My friend obviously missed the photoetch, for which I apologise, but, since the camera ports were, normally, covered until after take-off, it's a little academic.

Edgar

I'll second Edgar.

I had collected a number of aftermarket 'sets' for the PR XI, mostly Airwaves.

When I finally came to build my PRXI all I used was the fuel pump blisters, beam approach aerial blister, windscreen, a fuselage plug to convert the fixed tail wheel to the retracting model, and the broad chord rudder. The latter two probably weren't necessary, but as I had them, I used them.

The chin was Milliput/putty using sheet styrene templates. The wings a few minutes with putty and a scriber.

The F35 camera control, a few scraps of styrene. (Although Airwaves do a really nice example, they only include it in some of their PR sets)

Finish4.jpg

If I did it over, I probably would only actually 'need' the unarmoured windscreen.

Cheers,

Matt

One little extra, that you'll need, is a relief tube. :worship:

Don't laugh; I found this little gem, while I was researching, in the RAF Museum, recently, and couldn't resist making a note. Mod 929 was introduced, on the XI, only, May 4th., 1943.

Edgar