Hi Guy's!! Here's the next one on deck... Decided to do the ATARS Bird instead of the Vikings D because of the challenge the decals will provide (And I only have 1 Kit at the moment. HINT HINT)... And If it turns out ok.. IT will look COOL!!! This one will take a bit longer. I will be lucky to complete in 2 months...

P1010002a.jpg

One thing I need confirmation on from our Mods.. The ATARS Birds did NOT have the duel chaff buckets??

Well.. On w/ the build!!!

Dave

The tiger stripes should be a very dark grey (gunship IIRC) not black.

Not necessarily...a co-worker was a WSO in 224 from the timeframe of that sheet. We had actually talked about it. According to him, 224 went through many iterations for paint schemes over a 4 year period due to a string of CO's that hated each other's (and the JO's, and the corrosion shop's) paint schemes - black stripes, gray stripes, black tails, orange rudders, etc. all came and went several times.

His comment was that everything other than the gray tiger stripes "was very, very gay and not befitting of a war machine".

Spongebob

Interesting to note - thanks for the info. Having said that, every image I have ever seen of the Bengals tiger-strip ATARS bird has always been dark grey (gray). I have yet to actually see a picture of the aircraft with black stripes, doesn't make it wrong I guess, just yet to see it.

Even the reference pics provided on the TwoBobs sheet show it as a dark grey and not black - you can see the distinction in the photos between the colour of the stripes and some of the other markings which actually are black.

Thanks Guys on the heads up on the stripes.. I'd like to say that I would be re-painting them individually, But That would take forever... I may experiment with maybe overspraying w/grey to tone down the Black.. But.. It should still look pretty cool black... I HOPE!

Thanks Again

Dave

Just a Quick Update. (No Pics) Been a busy week with the real Job and just have been real burnt out!! Man it's hit 45C already here and it's only June!!! Anywho... I just realized that I had some wing folds from G-Factor.. So I'm messing w/ them at the moment.. So far so good!! Hope to post some stuff tomorrow!!

Dave

Tomcat Tweeker,

How ever you decide to do the tiger stripes I'm sure they will look cool. B)

I'm curious as to how you find the G-Factor wing folds to work with.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

;)

Mark

Well A Quick Update before hitting the rack....

Have the wing folds rough cut in.. They are pretty nice.. Not that bad at all.. Fortunatly there are cut lines on the inner surfaces of the wings so there is no guess work on where to cut.. Then its just a matter of trimming out the kit hinge detail and fine tuning the fit before gluing the wing halfs together.. The Ultra fine tuning later.. But not much... Well here's a few pics..

Thanks For Looking

Dave

P1010002b.jpg

P1010011a.jpg

P1010013b.jpg

P1010006b.jpg

The wing folds look great. I've looked at the G-Factor website a couple of times and considered picking up a set of the wing folds but haven't gotten around to it yet. Seeing yours makes me think I ought to grab a set.

Edited by David Walker

Thanks All!! I ran across a build thread by Dave Roof on the same acft.. He too used the BB pit and had a method of putting it in after painting and decaling.. Saves the hassle of masking... And in my case... I hate pits... So I gave the method a try before gluing together the Fuselage and it will work... So the pit will be the last hurdle.. We'll see..

Thanks

Dave

Hi All, A little update..... Some progress other than trashing my bench... More decaling, and painting some odds and ends and starting the pit.... Still waiting on some replacement decals as the "Marine" and 1 VMFA(AW) markings were faded...

Thanks For looking

Dave

P1010008j.jpg

P1010007j.jpg

P1010003j.jpg

OK.. I thought it may be a good time to test run the pit install... Worked REALLY well and simple...

Insert aft tub and slide back into Fuselage

P1010003jj.jpg

Install front tub and slide fwd into place

P1010006jj.jpg

Bring the aft tub into place

P1010008jj.jpg

And finally install rear deck

P1010010jj.jpg

Hope ya'll ain't getting tired of the posts!! Well the stripes be done!! Yea!! Now just waiting on the replacement decals I need... I think I'm gonna have to work the pit!!

Thanks for looking!

Dave

P1010009k.jpg

P1010008k.jpg

P1010006k.jpg

P1010005k.jpg

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker