Iwata HP-CS vs HP-C-Plus???

I'm looking at getting a gravity feed brush for more precise work than my badger 150 allows, and have been looking at the Iwata HP-CS or the HP C- plus. I've also seen the HP-CR.

Now I see the Plus has the .3mm tip, the CS the .35mm and the CR the .5mm. I usually spray humbrol enamels or Tamiya/Gunz acrylics, and would like to hear from people with these brushes about how they find the different size tips? Is the .3mm in the -Plus too small for these paints? Can you get really fine lines withthe .5mm in the CR?

Is the difference in price between the -Plus and the CS worth it? I'd hate to decide to splash out on the -Plus and find the smaller tip was not so good for model paints.

Any help appreciated.

Phil

I have a CS and love it. It is a very good jack of all trades. I guess it comes down to what you are planning on doing with it. Me mostly WWII and WW1 with lots of colour.

The one thing I do find is that if I am doing detail work a good regulator on the your air supply is just as important. I cannot do a mottle @ 50 psi

My air supply is pretty good, I have a DIY type compressor with a 25 litre tank (very noisy, but only needs to be run to fill the tank once per session). But the best part is that I acquired a filter/regulator that is designed to be used for in-line breathing equipment, so the filtration is top notch. The regulation is not so precise (the scale goes from 0-100 psi) but at least it starts at zero, and not 20 like the cheap one built into the compressor.

• 1 month later...

Ok, next question!

Does the CS come with the teflon needle packing?

I see the Plus range has this listed, but the Eclipse does not. Is this significant for spraying model paints, ie enamels?

I'd like to ge the CS, but dont want to find the needle bearing disintergrating if I use laquer thinners or even humbrol thinner to clean the brush.

According to DixieArt's site, all the High Performance (HP series) Iwatas have the teflon seal.

Before switching to an H&S Evolution last year, I used the HP-C for about seven years, it worked just fine with Gunze and Tamiya acrylics and I could freehand a 1/72 Luftwaffe mottle scheme as long as the paint was well thinned and I kept the air pressure low (less then 10 psi). The needles, tips and nozzles can be changed so if you find you start with a .35mm and decide you want to try a .3mm, you get replacement parts. (FWIW, I generally use a .2mm with my H&S for close work, and keep a .4mm for broad coverage.)

i have both the hp-c and hp-cs and the cs is my work horse. my hp-c came with a .2mm needle/nozzle combo and i found it to be really fussy with model master enamels. IMHO, i can get just as fine a line with the cs as the hp-c.

however, the other night i was browsing the dixieart.com website and found that you can purchase the hp-cr with a .35mm needle/nozzle combo instead of the .5mm for $64.00. in my experience, i have found that the .35mm n/n combo is "just right" for the medium i use. tamiya acrylics spray like a dream through the .35mm and you can achieve as fine a line as you'll need in the hobby. good luck with the purchase friend. later.

Edited by saltydog
however, the other night i was browsing the dixieart.com website and found that you can purchase the hp-cr with a .35mm needle/nozzle combo instead of the .5mm for $64.00.

I've tried to look through the Dixie art site, it's not the best laid out, can you provide a link to the HP-CR with hte .35 head, because at $64 that would be really good.

Cheers

Phil

scroll down to the hp-br on this page. this color cup will be plenty big for your modelling needs.........and no, you want spill the paint from the cup unless you drop it! i hardly ever use the caps for my gravity feed brushes and never spill the paint. here, check out this parts page and take a look at part #3 and part #15. scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you will see a link to email somebody and make sure before you order. later.

G'day,

I'll also give a big "thumbs up" for the Eclipse CS. I bought mine from Hobby Lobby for US$70 a few weeks ago, and it was the best money I've spent in a while.

I'd been using an Aztek for years, and getting good results (if I do say so myself!!) But when I moved to the US, a friend gave me an HP-B to use (he'd just bought an HP-B+) This brush blew me away!! Very fine lines, due to the .2 mm needle, but large areas were tedious as a result. Also the small paint pot was a pain.

I bought the CS, since I need to be able to give the HP-B back at some point, and have found I can get just as fine a line, and also cover larger areas easier. The larger paint pot is also a big plus! The CS has become my main brush, with the B used for very fine detail, or when I only need a little bit of paint. the Aztek has not been out of the drawer for several months now...

hope this helps.

Cheers

Mimage008.jpg

here's an example of what the Aztek gave me. this is freehand, no masking.

I'd be happy getting the results you were achieving with the aztek!

I've emailed Dixie art with a couple of questions, once I hear back from them I'll decide between the CS and the C Plus.

The CS is edging a head on price at the moment.

Another thing to consider about the HP-CS is that the .35mm & .5mm needles and tips are interchangeable, giving you a little more versatility. I use the .35mm setup for just about everything, but the .5mm parts really are handy when painting large 1/48 & 1/32 scale jets.

I can't say for sure if the same is true with the higher end gravity feed Iwata airbrushes.

Mike

Unfortunately Hobby Lobby is not here in New Zealand. I will have to order it from overseas, perhaps Dixie art if they ever answer my email, or there are a few reasonably priced ones on ebay.

Not too many places stock them in Aus either. I think I'll order mine from these people

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IWATA-Eclipse-HP-CS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Not a bad price.

Oh, OK, hadn't made the connection that you were in NZ, Doh!

If you can hang off for a week, I know there's another Eclipse CS at the Hobby lobby here in my town. I'd be happy to pick it up for you and send it off. You'd have to wait a week though, because the 40% vouchers are every second week, and this past week had the voucher.

The price on the brush is US $149.99, less 40%, plus postage to NZ, which may be US$10 to 15.

think about it, and let me know.....

Cheers,

Matthew, the Aussie in West Bend, WI

Well Dixie art recommended the C-Plus, but did not answer my question about the whether the CS has the Teflon needle bearing. Tey then quoted USD$100 for shipping to NZ...! I guess I wont be buying from them.

Matt - I will have a look at ebay and do the maths on the various deals (which often include a hose) + postage etc and see if your generous offer of buying one from Hobby lobby works out as the best price.

You could also try lewisyml0078 on ebay - I got my HP-CH from him. He's based in Hong Kong but shipping was really quick - I got the airbrush, braided hose, water trap and quick connection fitting for £94 shipped - at the time the airbrush ALONE was £176 in the UK!

The Eclipse CS does not have the teflon bearing. It has a different type of needle housing, so it's not needed. None of the Eclipse series has teflon.

The HP-B I've been using is before the teflon was introduced, and it has no trouble with any of the enamels or lacquers I've sprayed through it.....

Cheers

M

The Eclipse CS does not have the teflon bearing. It has a different type of needle housing, so it's not needed. None of the Eclipse series has teflon.

The HP-B I've been using is before the teflon was introduced, and it has no trouble with any of the enamels or lacquers I've sprayed through it.....

Cheers

M

Well I went for the C-Plus from lewisyml0078 on eBay. The Kiwi $ is at a record high at the moment, so it's about as cheap as it will ever be. I thought I'd better jump in quick since our reserve bank is trying to devalue our dollar and I didn't want it dropping while I dithered.

The C-Plus comes with a hose and a little filter. At the end of the day, by the time I got the CS with a hose, + postage, the C-Plus is only about $40NZD more than the CS.

Matt - thanks for the offer to buy one for me from Hobby Lobby, hopefully I can report back in a couple of weeks that the C-Plus was the right choice!

Thanks for the advice guys.