Recon Lightnings, Mustangs and Reporters

Hey All,

Looking at doing some WWII recon planes and was looking for info on available decals for

F-5B,C & E

F-6B

F-15A

in 1/48...

I already have the Aeromaster Recon Lightnings sheet, but I was wondering what else was out there.

Also, I vaguely remember a magazine article about the Lightning Haze scheme somewhere...can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Dave

I just put this list together for someone on photo recon F-4/F-5 Lightning.

Info on Haze paint can be found here. http://www.34thprs.org/html/aircraft/haze.html

Aeromaster Decals

48-546 F-5E's Recon Lightning

48-082 F-5E's Recon Birds

Carpena Decals

4891 Lockheed P-38/F-5 Lightning pt.1 (F-5 W4-B No 233, GR 1/33 France 1945)

4892 Lockheed P-38/F-5 Lightning pt.2 (White 80 GR 1/33 3rd Photo Group"Jeanne")

4893 Lockheed P-38/F-5 Lightning pt.3 (F-5A Black 40/301 "Stinky 2" 9 PRS 10thAF India1943)

PYN-UP Decals

48039 Fork-Tailed beauties Part 4 ( F-5C "Dot-Dash")

Super Scale International Decals

48-859 Lockheed P-38F & F-5E 39th FS & 21st PRS

Tauro Decals

48-588 F-5E A.M.I. 9 Gr, 4 Stormo 1947

Third Group Decals

48-047 Lockheed P-38 Lightning #2 - F-5E 33PRS & Nationalist Chinese

Mike

Edited by P-38 guy

Thanks for the info on the F-5s, Mike. I should have known you would have the answer. The link is great too. I had been looking at a link for the 33rd PRS already...glad to see more.

Cheers,

Dave

This sheet has a 9th Air Force F-6C:

Aeromaster 48-539: Best Sellers, P-51 Mustangs, Pt. I

http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.com/cgi-...;dclimg=ad48539

If you're not specifically looking for photo recon birds, there is a P-51D from the 3rd Scout Force, 8th Air Force on this sheet:

Aeromaster 48-738: The 55th Fighter Groups At War, Pt I

http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.com/cgi-...;dclimg=ad48738

Hope that helps.

Anyone know anything about the 1/48 Minicraft F4/F5 kit? Fit, Kit detail, decals?

Cheers,

Dave

I had several and after trying to build one I tossed it in the trash and sold all but one which I kept for the box collection. Decals where for a plane named "Lightning Liz", don't know if it was a real plane or not.

The new boxing says P-38 F4/F5. The decals that come with it can be found on the Aeromaster sheet and the Third Group sheet I think. As far as building an F-4 from it they would have had to added new parts to make an early model Lightning out of it and I don't think they did that. You only get the one decal anyway for the F-5E.

minicraft.jpg

With what they charge for it your better off getting an Academy kit or a Paragon conversion.

By the way the bottom of the F-5E nose is wrong on both kits (Paragon conversion is correct).

They made it like an F-5B then over exagerated it.

Kit nose

SANY0059.jpg

Real nose

scan0088-1.jpg

Mike

Here's something else to consider. The old Monogram 1/48 P-38J kit has the parts to make an F-5B, the instructions for this was only in the original releases.

scan0002-4.jpg

scan0004-4.jpg

scan0003-4.jpg

The nose of the F-5A and F-5B were the same so I used the Mono kit nose on an Academy P-38E kit and the fit was pretty good and made an F-5A.

SANY0061.jpg

SANY0062.jpg

Mike

Edited by P-38 guy

I had intended to use the parts from a Mono P-38 with an "E" kit for an F-5B. Glad to see it has been done with success...although those instructions tell you to put diagonal camera ports on each side whereas all my pics show the right side as a square one like in your build. Did you cut to shape or just paint the error away?

Thanks for the scoop on the Mini-kit and including the scan of the Mono instructions...have a newer kit that has the parts but not the instructions as you said...not that it is that difficult.

Cheers,

Dave

Cool, that's what I've planned on doing.

I've actually stumbled upon one of the Minicraft for $15...considering dropping the cash just for the decals (since the sheets are AWOL based on my searches, except a maybe on the Carpena sheets).

We'll see...

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche