1/48 Hase Bf-109 F, 7./JG 54

Cowling on. It's been a while since I built this kit (F or early G derived from it), and I forgot that fit of cowling pieces is not ideal.

For some reason I felt compelled to install air scoops on the cowling, and now I'll have to shave them off :thumbsup:. I also can't locate EE spinner I wanted to use, and so it'll be kit part instead.

DSCF1476.jpg

Painted bottom in 76 and top in dark green. Somewhat half-hearted effort, since it'll be covered with white.

DSCF1501.jpg

I was already contemplating if I should put decals on before or after whitewash, when the last piece of masking lifted some paint :bandhead2:. Oh well...

DSCF1508.jpg

bummer about the masking.

- Could be worse.

- How?

- Could be raining.

{downpour begins}

I washed the model before painting, so I'm going to blame it on the paint :D.

The yellow is Gunze acrylic, which I had mixed results with in the past - some colors worked fine, others gave ridiculously weak coverage. Specifically, modern gray colors in the 3xx range worked fine for me, colors with numbers below 100 were hit and miss. Unfortunately I don't know of another yellow I'd like for LW recognition markings, so I use this - even if it takes quite a few layers to build up the color.

I washed the model before painting, so I'm going to blame it on the paint
Many years ago, when I was still using enamels, I never cleaned a model before painting, well wiping off sanding residue and the like, but cleaning the plastic, nah, the enamels always stuck. At the time, I was using Gunze for interiors, I had started buying some because it was fast drying compared to enamels and since my boys were little at the time and liked to 'help, the water cleanup, at least in theory, made disaster recovery easier. Anyway, I decided to try Gunze as the exterior colors on a Hasegawa 1/72 F-104 I was building to represent a 104G in the AMI. Sprayed the grey, masked, sprayed the dark green, and much of the grey came off with the masking. It was years before I used Gunze again, blamed it all on the paint! :D

But yeah, I feel your pain, it is always tough when some of the paint lifts off with the tape.

I'm still fairly unhappy with my pictures. My camera (I don't want to share the blame because it's on auto B)) tends to amplify some things and mute others.

For example, pictures show distinct whiteish spots on the cowling, which in real life are very subtle. To my eye, they stick out like sore thumbs in the pics.

OTOH, picture of the underside I posted yesterday shows subdued weathering. In person it's more stark - I'm not finished with it yet, and I intentionally exagerate because flat coat will tone it down a bit.

I'm guessing it's lighting - which I have relatively little of at my 'bench'. I'll try taking pictures outdoor when I finish the model.

Or maybe it's lack of Photoshop (not to mention skills to use it :)). The program I use to tweak the apperance - mainly get rid of color cast, and resize - is very simple and gives little control over the process.

End of rambling :thumbsup:.

• 1 month later...

Almost a month without an update, as real life took over for a while - work, vacation, etc. :salute:.

I'm almost done with the model, will post some pictures when I get home :).

Have you got more information about that camouflage?? (pilot name etc.)
Nope. The only picture I've seen is in the Jagdwaffe series, I think the Barbarossa volume; caption does not reveal anything beside what can be seen on the photo.
By the way that camouflage is very nice done.
Thanks!
  • 4 weeks later...

Short update. I hoped to have finished the 109 in August, but I had too much to do. I've moved overseas, and am still a bit shell-shocked :coolio:. Most of my stuff, including the 109, should arrive here in Sept, so I may still finish it in time; all it really needs is antenna wire and maybe blending decals in a bit.

At least I'm back online - life without the Internet is miserable :).