Late VF-84 Black tailed F-14A in TPS

Yes, like how they appeared in the film "Executive Decision" ...

Dave Brown posted a picture just a few days ago from the production of that movie featuring a VF-84 Tomcat in that very scheme ...

Edit: Not sure about the tailcode though ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
When they shot the movie I believe they were no longer assigned to a CVW, hence no codes.

In Jose's write up about their appearing in ED, he states they only used two of their remaining airframes at that point(sounds like they didn't have a full squadron strength any longer) so, I don't think they were attached to any CVW ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Not true. I spent a day with the Jolly Rogers after the movie, in Sept 1995. They had a near full compliment of Tomcats and were still busy flying ops. I shot every one and counted at least six. Two Toms were painted with the 200 modex for the movie. However, it is correct they were no longer assigned to an air wing.

1aa.jpg

1-1.jpg

1a.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality. These were quick scans on the Photosmart scanner.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Ah, I was going by the wording in Jose's article and it led me to believe they were no longer at a full strength at that point ...

Interesting to see the repainted rudder on 203 and how glossy the tails are on Victory 200 ...

Thanks Dave for clearing up any of my confusion !

Gregg

SB Decals has a sheet featuring the black tails with the AJ inside the tails. There's even an alternative set for the AJ to be on the outside of the tails stacked diagonally like they were originally. It is the overall Dk Ghost Gray scheme with Lt. Gray markings. They are available at Spruebrothers.com.

Sweet, they're ordered! :pray:

Now that I've taken care of that....okay, so I'm gathering that if the stripes/chevrons on the forward fuselage are in light gray, the airframe is overall dark ghost, but I still believe if the stripes/chevrons are in dark gray, the airframe is overall light ghost, right?

Well if you notice some of the photos above......some airframes have really light gray markings on the light TPS. Others dark.

In fact, it appears modex 200 has one photo with the normal dark markings and another with the really light ones. Just another little thing to make you...... B)

Yeah, well, there were two birds with the 200 modex at that particular little moment in time....but I was also speaking beyond just the birds shown here, drawing on so many others which I've seen, and it really seems that the overall light ghost was very common to the squadron during its end times.

A-late mods right?

I didnt found any picture of them but I suppose that they were late birds with NACA gunvents etc

:cheers:

Yes on the NACA vents, but they didn't have the ECM upgrades that included the left front gear door and leading edge of the wing glove (like on the B and D).

Darren, since you included the VF-84 plane on the decal sheet clearly you must have some reference photos of it. Are those available for view anywhere? Or is there a certain book I should be looking for? And thanks for the information above. It may be included in the decal instructions but I'll admit I haven't read over them yet.

We're still learning about what we want to include in the instruction sheets. They'll get better each time. We don't claim to be the end all and be all of the decal world. We just want to bring you an affordable, quality product with markings that haven't been done before. Each release will be a little bit better as we learn the ins and outs of the business.

I found the pictures on Fence Check and in the WAPJ book on the Tomcat.

Yes on the NACA vents, but they didn't have the ECM upgrades that included the left front gear door and leading edge of the wing glove (like on the B and D).

Thanks Darren :o