Hasegawa 1/72nd F-14D Tomcat builds AJ213 and Vandy1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's an update and as you can see it was a hot day in the garage. Didn't get much done except take some radom pics of the workbenches and the stash, plus the WIP you see here.

True Detail Bang Seat before touch up painting, wash, dry-brushing and stenciling.

IMG_1097.jpg

Cockpit tub, this is a first attempt for me in using the kit supplied PE parts, usually I chicken out and use the kit decals. The LANTRIN control stick is from the Fine Molds PE parts.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Kit and Jasmine Decals, with Fine Molds PE for the PTID

IMG_1115.jpg

When it's this hot , modelling isn't fun. Going to wait awhile for it to cool off before getting back to the biz of building Tomcats.

IMG_1117.jpg

This one is for you metric guys.

IMG_1119.jpg

Nice start..did you need to alter the kit PE in order to get them to fit? Cuz the supplied PE sometimes is too large.

As for the seats, you hand painted those, no?

Nope, just moved them a little more in-board and the seats were first airbrushed and then hand-painted, still have more work ahead for these seats.

How did you paint the PE cockpit areas where the switches are on the side (make sense?)? It looks great!

Matt

This was a trial by error deal, the original plan was to use the kit decals over the PE, but that didn't work because either the decals are undersized or the PE is oversized. To recover I decided to paint it and dry-brush the switches with flat white, but the flat black enamel worked like a wash on the switches and panels. After a while when it it dried I went over each switch and panel line with a Gunze Mr. Cotton Swap with thinner to remove the paint off each switch and panel line to reveal the base coat of the cockpit tub color. These swaps are uber small and have two tips on them for really fine detail work. Sometimes I would remove paint in some panels so I had a lot of re-washing to do. This is a must have in your modelling arsenal.

m_GNZGT37.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update., just finished the bang seats last week before preparing for a Tamiya R/C race this past weekend. Painted, decaled, washed, and dry-brushed. Now to the fun part of building rest of the kit, sanding, scribing, and fixing errors.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well, fella's here's a not-so-up-to-date update, since it's been a while since the last update I had on this thread.

Building these two Tomcats has really slowed up quite a bite since several events have come up along the way. TCS Nationals, Going back to work and school have taken a toll on my build time. Plus, finishing up a major refit of my garage space has backburnered these two builds, but with some time off after the holidays I should be wacking at it in 2008. But in the mean time here are some pics of the builds and my other project along the way.

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

Trying to get this seamless

IMG_1394.jpg

Hmm, deciding to use the Dr. Pepper cans or not......

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, nothing new to report since I just moved in with my girlfriend about a month ago. But here are some pics of the new digs and the stash.

Still working it.....

068.jpg

074.jpg

073.jpg

Have some negative film stripes to fill in those displays...

070.jpg

The my new work area

057.jpg

Some new racks and the stash

053.jpg

055.jpg

Tomcat Stash

062.jpg

• 8 months later...

Finally after a long hiatus, I'm back at these builds.

IMG_0359.jpg

A crowded work area

IMG_0326.jpg

How is this blue for AJ213?

IMG_0327.jpg

My latest addition to the shop has been helping keep the dust at bay and the fumes as well.

IMG_0339.jpg

Fine Mold PE parts

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

GE F110 Petals for Vandy1

IMG_0361.jpg

Test Fit of AJ213

IMG_0357.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

Your Tomcats are looking really good; it's great to see production resumed! I hope the rest of the painting proceeds smoothly, as the effort you've made so far is excellent. I especially like the nozzles and exhaust shrouds; the latter have the exact look of the real thing with the dark carbon fibre appearance and the bright metal ring immediately of the nozzles.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment....

Cheers,

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...