Ok,I am not trying to start a flame war here,but I was reading the lockheed stealth book,and according to the book,the yf-23 was as good, if not better. :worship: I would like to hear you guys opions.thanks..Stump

There's a several-part video on Youtube produced by Northrop, if memory serves, that gives their side of the story. Although it's been a while since I watched it, I believe their take was this: We were faster, stelthier, and the more ambitious design. The Air Force made the conservative choice.

Lots of great inflight images of the YF-23 and certainly worth your 15-20 mins.

Evidently the '23 didn't have vectored thrust like the '22. That may played into it?

yea i read that as well,but that is the only thing that the -23 didnt have that the 22 had.I knew that politics played into the decison,but if the -23 was a better airplane,then it should have one.thanks guys,keep em comming..Stump :popcorn:

yea i read that as well,but that is the only thing that the -23 didnt have that the 22 had.I knew that politics played into the decison,but if the -23 was a better airplane,then it should have one.thanks guys,keep em comming..Stump :popcorn:

When you see the F-22 fly at airshow you see how important vectored thrust is to the airplane's agility. The things it can do are simply astounding. I'd say that's a major advantage over the '23. Now that's not to say that the '23 wouldn't have been a great airplane, but clearly we as taxpayers got ourselves the best fighter in the world hands down. I only wish we had more of them.

probably been posted before, but check here:

I'd say thrust vectoring is a pretty big difference when you consider the potential of them someday facing off against Flankers. I've heard a few interesting tales of joint exercises between the USAF and Indian Air Force involving Flankers.

According to the Northrop people their design could achieve similar post stall manouvering capabilities without the use of TV (just check out those huge "rudderons").

The data on achieved performance is still classified, but the '23 was rumored at having a much higher Supercruise regime.

Also let's not forget that the F-22 just only resembles the YF-22, and Northrop/McDonnellDouglas were on the way out as corporate identities.

With all possible considerations to manouvering performance, I still consider the F-15 a much better looking aircraft and the YF-23 better looking yet.

Edited by hemspilot

I am still waiting for Zacto's YF-23.

I see that he is moving and planing on starting back up around Juy 1st. I wish him all the best.

I may never buy another kit but I will get one when he releases his.

i betcha any money ya like the F-23 design is flying as a "black" program

Flying out of where?

remember the F-117 was operational nigh on a decade before the public knew about it :cheers:

Then we're overdue for it's unveiling.

Unlikely. The money ain't there and there's no reason to duplicate a capabilty like that.

I have to agree... It's very unlikely we'll ever see a project the likes of the 117 again. If they tried doing that today, the beans would be spilled on the internet before they ever got a chance to use them. Some of the technology from the 23 probably went into other programs though. They've probably got numerous prototype designs sitting around (mostly UAV), but there's a big difference between that and full production aircraft being kept secret.

Dave

The North Spin - Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast

http://www.thenorthspin.com

I am not very impresed with that F-22 demo. Many of the tricks i have seen Su-30 and MiG-29 ovt do. BUT, YF-23 was wayyyyy cooler that f-22. Sorry, f-22 is kinda of boiring.... :thumbsup::whistle:

PS: Please, no flame war!

I have also read that the CIA has started their work at groom up again,but this time its with UAV's,that could be where some of the technology from the -23 is at now.As for the -22 being boring,I just dont see that.Im not trying to be an ***,but any aircraft that can do those manouvers,add supercruise,be low observable on just about any radar out there,and still have the weapons to do the job.thats a good jet in my book. :thumbsup: ....but the -23 did look cooler.Stump