Ok, so work and the Foxbat Build have been getting on my nerves (yeah I know, you all said it would) and I wanted to get an easy project going for when I needed breaks from working on the Foxbat masters and detail...and waiting for molds to set.

So what better than a great prop kit. I chose the 1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36 Apache for the easy project. I'm not gonna do a bunch of crazy work on it detail-wise except for dropping the flaps and opening the dive brakes (I know they were wired shut for the most part, but I think it'll be neat to show them open). The only aftermarket to be used are some Superscale decals (haven't picked a scheme yet)

So far I have cut the flaps out and done some preliminary painting. I have also cut all of the dive brakes out (yes I am using kit parts, not the aftermarket brakes (Eduard, i think)).

I have some pics, but it is getting late and I had duty yesterday so I am about to hit the hay. I'll download the camera tomorrow and show what has been done so far.

Cheers,

Dave

Some pics as promised...

First, the dive brakes after being separated from the wings...they have been sanded down some...

divebrakes.jpg

And a shot of the wing where one of the brakes was cut out...I'll have to add the support arms to the brakes because it would have been impossible to salvage them...

wing.jpg

Finally a view of most of the work that has been done so far with the exception fo the painting...you can see where the flaps have been cut out too...

overall.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Looking Sweet! I built that kit a few years ago, and it builds up nice.

Just a thought.....If you want to simplify your build, leave the dive brakes in the down position. I found during my research that those dive brakes were actually wired closed most of the time in the field squadrons. They seemed to be ineffective and caused unwanted buffeting.

Nice build....Keep us posted.

Chris

I actually built one of these kits when it first came out and when I saw one available in "The Marketplace" a little while back I jumped on it. I wanted to build it again and do it justice.

I know the dive brakes were normally wired shut, but I just wanted to go for something with a little more visual appeal...besides, they are already removed :lol:

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

I'm with you.

Accuracy dictates brakes in, but if you build an A-36 you want them up!

Side note; the A-36 was not called Apache.

This nickname was used for a short time during the war for P-51's/ F-6A's/Mustang 1A's.

The A-36 was known for a short while as "invader" but mainly Mustang.

The "Apache" thing started most likely in the 80's!

BTW, great start, you're a courageous man, I would have gone for the Eduard brakes.

Nice Start Dave, I'm planning to start a Acc.Min. mustang family build myself, mine will be a P51A though. I,ve got the appache kit too so i'll be interested in this build as well! what markings are you planning to use?

Cheers

Brad

Thanks for the comments, and for tourist...in my Foxbat thread I pointed out that I am sick multiple times over, so I'm not sure if it is courageous :cheers:

what markings are you planning to use?

I got this Superscale Sheet to use on her. I'm leaning towards the top scheme for "Dorothy Helen", but I may talk myself into one of the other ones. Apparently the middle one is the only A-36 ace of WWII.

We'll see, but about 70% chance of "Dorothy Helen" at the moment.

I have managed to get more work done on the dive brakes and on the flaps. I had an unfortunate occurrence of capillary action that involved my thumb, so I wasted some time removing the print from the one flap. I have also cut the elevators free so that I can have them slightly drooped.

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

Ok, some more stuff from the A-36...

First finished dive brake...

divebrakeclose.jpg

The flaps prior to sanding down the inside edges to the right shape...you cans ee where I had to work out the thumbprint I made...still have some work to do...

flaps.jpg

Here are the horizontal tails...one is nearly complete. I have added square rod pieces and then sanded them down to make the rounded forward edges of the elevator...

horizontaltails.jpg

Finally a shot of the wings...with the dive brake wells inserted...

fullwing.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Flaps and horizontal tails are complete. I'll start tweaking on the dive brakes some more and probably install the cockpit in the morning.

Pics, tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

Some pics as promised...

Ok, we'll start with some pics of test fitting the flaps and dive brakes...

divebrakedetail2.jpg

wingflap.jpg

Here's one of the completed horizontal tailplanes...

taildetail.jpg

How 'bout a shot of the cockpit area to round things out...

insidedetail.jpg

As you can see I am not going crazy with the cockpit at all...just OOB and some paint. Hopefully I'll have the fuselage together tonight.

Cheers,

Dave

Green Zinc Chromate for the fusleage and floor

Black for the radio and batteries

Olive Drab for the cockpit sides

Silver for details

As called out in the instructions...this is intended to be quick and dirty, so I didn't go into a bunch of research or detailing extras in the 'pit.

Cheers,

Dave

Fuselage is together. I'll throw the IP in tomorrow and probably attach the wings. Going along pretty well today.

Cheers,

Dave

Here's a couple pics to soothe the masses...

First a shot of the cockpit...like I said, I didn't go detail crazy at all, but I think it came out fairly nice...

cockpti.jpg

Then, some shots of the wings and nose glued on with the horizontal stabs and flaps test fit...

fittestfront.jpg

fittestrear.jpg

I think it is coming along fairly nicely...maybe I'll even finish it in the next few days. I have decided to do it in the "Dorothy Helen" markings from the Superscale sheet I linked to before. There's actually a color picture of "Dorothy Helen" on page 74 of the April 2007 issue of Flight Journal...just stumbled across it last night.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

So this morning was a frantic search in my basement for a missing dive brake...I don't know how I lost it. After a few hours searching, I caved in and started doing something I never intended to do with this build...start making a mold so I can cast resin parts...we'll see how it works for such an intricate part...wish me luck.

Cheers,

Dave

Aw, NUTS!

You know as soon as you cast new ones, the lost one will reappear. We need to find Murphy and slap him...:blink:

D

Well, I did find it, when I went down to check the first side of the mold...which came out for s**t anyway...lucky me I guess...I was pretty fired up when I couldn't find it this morning...I finished detailing it and I have been doing a ton of sanding on the wings and body...no fault of the AccMin kit...just my rushing on some parts to minimize the time working on it.

Pics later hopefully.

Cheers,

Dave

Did some more sanding and threw a primer coat on to check for sanding issues...

Will post pics later...

Cheers,

Dave