Hello Gents,

If one was going to build an AC-130U in 48th scale, would it be better/easier to start with the AC-130H kit, or the slick -130?

WDYT?

Pig

Well, they don't make an AC-130H kit in 1/48th, but they do make an AC-130A and an AC-130U. That being said, go with the U kit. From all I hear there are plenty of inaccuracies, but nothing that can't be overcome. Certainly it's a far better starting place that the A model, which would require all sorts of major surgery and ridiculous amounts of scratchbuilding, in addition to all new 4 blade props... and that's just scratching the surface of the work involved. Same thing with the slick 130.

Wait... did you mean start with the "U" kit and mistakenly used "H"?

Edited by Dez

Pig,

Your not planning of making a Herc ?

Like your previus models, wich I followed, I will become madd.

Building one myself at the moment, I must say there is nothing to buy out there.

Just the kit and a set from airwaves.

Knowing your skills it isn't a problem four you.

Hope to see it hapening.

I would learn a lot.

Frank

Pig,

I wouldn't worry about using the 30mm, as they are still in testing and only installed on one aircraft. So unless it takes you...I don't know....five years to finish the kit, then go with 25, 40, 105.

Cheers

I'd like to go with the latest configuration-references are proving troublesome however!

Regards,

Pig

I've got a contact down at Hurlbert. He's a tremendously nice guy. If you want, I'll pass along his contact info. Or if you can wait a bit, I'll be at Eglin later this summer and I can swing by Hurlbert for you. I can't wait to see what you can do with 1/48 C-130!

jake

Thanks for the kind words Frank-I'd like to get at an AC-130 eventually!

Shawn-Good call on the guns. Come to think of it, I like the look of the 25mm and 40mm!

Jake! Who don't you know!? :D Any help with references on the "U" would be huge-I appreciate that. This one (AC-130) is on the list for sure..along with some other projects..the F-2 has overrun my workbench for now..Need to do an MH-53J/M also...

Thanks gents!

Pig

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Ya, I picked up the ever so hard to find 1/72 AMT AC-130U thinking it was the better kit, then Umrigz said that the 1/48 Italeri kit would be better, so I was kinda bummed due to the fact that the price of the 1/72 kit was only $5.00 short of the 1/48 kit. BUMMER!!!

Jake

Jake,

I don't know who your contact is, but I work at Hurlburt, on the U-boats. So, Pig, I can provide references...up to a point...I should hope we all know the boundaries of OPSEC.

BTW, Jake it is Hurlburt, not Hurlbert.

Cheers all,

• 2 weeks later...
Pig,

Your not planning of making a Herc ?

Like your previus models, wich I followed, I will become madd.

Building one myself at the moment, I must say there is nothing to buy out there.

Just the kit and a set from airwaves.

Knowing your skills it isn't a problem four you.

Hope to see it hapening.

I would learn a lot.

Frank

Hey Frank!

Which Airwaves set are you referring to? I can't find anything anywhere...

Regards,

Pig

Ya, I picked up the ever so hard to find 1/72 AMT AC-130U thinking it was the better kit, then Umrigz said that the 1/48 Italeri kit would be better, so I was kinda bummed due to the fact that the price of the 1/72 kit was only $5.00 short of the 1/48 kit. BUMMER!!!

Jake

The AMT/ESCI kit is fine. It's no more or less accurate than the Italeri/Testors kit, and in the end, both take roughly the same amount of work to bring up to accurate standards (if in different areas).

Hey Frank!

Which Airwaves set are you referring to? I can't find anything anywhere...

Regards,

Pig

As far as I know (and I did a lot of looking) there's only the flightpath PE set, some wheel sets, corrected H sponsons, and maybe a few other odd bits as far as anything goes (for general details) in 1/48th. There's a definite paucity of aftermarket goodies for 1/48th slick Hercs, much less any of the specialized versions.

Meteor once had a whole slew of noses for various model Hercs, and some ski landing gear, but it's all OOP now, and nearly impossible to find. Again, nothing for AC-130s. B)

Jake

Actually, other way around. The AMT kit (aside from the crazy cockpit clear plastic piece) is way better than the Italeri offering. However, both kits have their issues. But I prefer the AMT kit.

Cheers

Hello boys,

..OK. I've been from one end of the world wide web to the other, looking for decent images of the inside of the U-boat. To date, I haven't had much luck.

I'd like to build this with the aft ramp open-So getting a look at the cabin floor,sidewalls, ceiling, and guns is key. Understanding the OPSEC concerns, I gotta' think that the images I need are out there. I've found plenty of airshow images with people walking in and out of the aircraft! Someone must have been able to photograph the inside!

Any ideas?

Regards,

Pig

BTW, Jake it is Hurlburt, not Hurlbert.

Cheers all,

D'oh! You'd think I'd have known better than that! We need a red-faced emoticon, but I guess this'll do.

:thumbsup:

Jake