They come from different worlds - the Frog kit is accurate in outline but has thick canopies, solid wheelwheels, wheel legs moulded onto the doors, and aircrew heads as part of the fuselage. Of course it can be made......

Three words - pri, mi, tive. But hey, it's a hark back to the early days when Mr. Tamigawa was a babe in arms, and Trumpeter wasn't even a twinkle in his tin-flute dad's eye. Consider it a sobering history lesson, and maybe when you find RoG has molded the wrong tire tread on their next effort you'll realise that we actually have it pretty good nowadays. Get all you carving tools out, grab some scrap plastic in various thicknesses, and let your skills be challenged to their utmost.

And with the right mindset you'll have a lot of fun! :yahoo:

Aeroclub do a neat AEW conversion that allows you to throw away the worst of the original Frog bits and includes a nice bundle of white metal to help you along. Or you could just use the white metal bits with the Frog parts. Either way you still get to scratch up the U/C wells.

peebeep

I've got a Frog Gannet, I've also got for it, Airwaves photo etch cockpit and wheel wells, Falcon canopies, Aeroclub u/c set and prop. I've detailed the exhaust but it's 'a work-in-progress' at the moment. The p/e cockpit transforms the kit into something very respectable as does the u/c set. Using a combination of the Airwaves and Aeroclub parts is the best way to go as some parts are for the same thing.

So far I've got the p/e cockpit assembled and fitted into the fuselage plus added the scratch exhaust, the wheel wells have been cut out of the wing and the p/e trial fitted.

Robert

Is this kit buildable or should I just bin it? I've built the trumpeter Gannet but it unforntunately fell from its shelf and met its demise with the 'carpet monster'.

Is buying another Trumpeter Gannet out of the question?

I think I'd go that route, I've got both kits and I think that the Revell re-release of the old Frog kit will probably stay in it's box for the time being.

Karl

With what i have salvaged from the trumpeter gannet i feel a spot of kit-bashing coming on... Being temporarily unemployed another trumpeter gannet is indeed out of the question. i have a limit of what i like to spend on kits so to give a rough idea here is my budgetary scheme.

All prices in £ sterling...

1/72 props 2.99 - 7.99

1/72 jets 3.99 - 11.99

1/72 helos 4.99 - 14.99

1/48 props 5.99 - 12.99

1/48 jets 7.99 - 19.99

1/48 helos 7.99 - 18.99

unfortunately this has restricted me on many a kit...

By the time you add all the aftermarket goodies to the old Frog Gannet, you would probably be approaching the price of the Trumpeter kit. So if you have budgetary constraints, my recommendation would be to either build the Frog OOB and use it as a scratchbuilding challenge, or wait to see if Revell's supposed Gannet is in fact a new mold. Based on recent Revell offerings, it should be less expensive then the Trumpeter kit.