So it has begun... Sorry for the late start, been wanting to get going on this earlier but it took me longer than anticipated to finish my last few models.

As mentioned in the topic header, this will be the CAG aircraft from VA-72 on board the USS John F Kennedy. This aircraft was painted in the "Desert Storm" special scheme on the cruise home after ODS, not only to commerate the Coalition's victory but also VA-72's last cruise with the A-7E, and possibly thier last deployment as well.

a7e_golfo.jpg

I didnt take any pictures after my first session, all I did was assemble the intake trunk and then sand down the cockpit tub, upper intake trunk and kit sidewalls to get a good fit. Once I was satisfied, I filled the seams in the trunk with white out, smotted it out with Cutex, then sanded and painted flat white.

This evening I touched up the intake and then glossed over with a coat of Future. I then finished the prep of the cockpit tub, seat and instrument coaming. I also made a point to drill out all the holes I will need on the fuselage and under the wings... I usually remember to do so after I assemble everything.

Here's a few pics to show where Im at. I might add that the Aires cockpit set is very nice and not as difficult to work woith as I originally thought it would be.

Here's the tub, sanded and ready to paint.

A-7Epictures001.jpg

The SJU-8 ejection seat(no pe added yet) and intrument coaming.

A-7Epictures003.jpg

Intake trunk grinded to allow an easier fit of the tub.

A-7Epictures004.jpg

Major cockpit parts on the intake trunk.

A-7Epictures005.jpg

And finally a test fit inside the fuselage halves.

A-7Epictures007.jpg

Next session I will attach the needed pe on the seats and cockpit tub. Then maybe start painting... Wish me luck! This is my first resin/pe cockpit.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Wish you luck? I have a feeling you'll create your own luck. :salute:

Well done so far.

I'm planning this same project for my sole remaining 1/48 A-7E, Aries pit and all. I will be following this build with great interest.

:popcorn:

Mark

• 2 months later...

Well, haven't I been lazy...

Well, I havent finished it yet. I didnt get to work on it as much over the summer as I would have liked, and when I did build, I didnt take too many pictures.

I did have a problem with one of my fuselage halves. Otis252 came to the rescue with a replacement.

I finally got down to taking some pics today after completing some preshading and the base color coat.

5 days to go. Ill be working on it as much as I can, hoping I can still make the deadline.

Upper fuselage

DSC02605.jpg

lower fuselage

DSC02610.jpg

close up of a wingtip showing some subtle preshading

DSC02608.jpg

Sorry guys, see this post!

It's my own damn fault for not giving myself enough time to complete this project. Ill be putting this build aside for a while. Theres no way I can finsh this in time right now. No need to worry though, I will repaint it and do it in a VA-86 High Vis 1980 scheme. (Snakes on a Plane) ;)

Thanks guys for your encouragemant.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah
It's my own damn fault for not giving myself enough time to complete this project. Ill be putting this build aside for a while. Theres no way I can finsh this in time right now. No need to worry though, I will repaint it and do it in a VA-86 High Vis 1980 scheme. (Snakes on a Plane) ;)

thanks for the donation, but honestly, if you want to finish your A-7 in that scheme, but all means do so. Doesn't really mean anything if you don't finish it for the GB, at least you would get it done for yourself.

We bought a new 3 in 1 printer the other day that has a scanner copier function. I played with it this afternoon and was able to enlarge the painting guide to 1/48 scale and used them for my new masks. I was able to remask the whole model after some light touch ups. It wont get finished for Friday night, but it will get done in its intended markings... <_<

Thanks for the encouragement guys! :thumbsup:

The masks worked :o but my pressure was a touch too high so a bit of overspray got past the raised masks. No biggie, I can erase some of them with a pencil eraser and Ill simply use the airbrush to touch up what I cant erase.

Now some pictures

I free handed the camo pattern on the pylons so they would have a slightly unique pattern, besides, I had no painting guides for them so I had to wing it.

DSC02620.jpg

I used paper masks on the ext tanks, again close in pattern but each has a slightly different look.

DSC02618.jpg

The wing tips were painted before I screwed up the first set of masks. All I did tonight was touch them up a bit.

DSC02617.jpg

Now the Fuselage, Had to improvise the pattern underneath since there was no bottom view in the painting guide.

DSC02616.jpg

And finally the topside, you may be able to see some of the light overspray, that will be fixed next time.

DSC02615.jpg

Thiw will be my last update before tomorrows deadline. I really wish I could have made it. Oh well, I've been very fortunate in previous GBs. :blink:

Good luck in the raffles every one! ;)

• 2 months later...

boy, I'm surprised to see new posts in this GB thread ..

but, I'm liking how your A-7 is coming out Cheetah; looks great. Aren't you glad you stuck with it? I'm sure it will turn out a beauty. :thumbsup:

BTW, I started my A-7E (VA-72) recently

That's awesome,some day I hope to do that in 1/32 if I ever get off my lazy *** :wacko: .. but then again, that is not likely.

Tony (with some editing work to reflect what he meant to say courtesy of your GB mod)

Edited by Benner
That's awesome,some day I hope to do that in 1/32 if I ever get off my lazy *** :) .. but then again, that is not likely.

Tony (with some editing work to reflect what he meant to say courtesy of your GB mod)

Isn't this an abuse of power or something!!! I'm telling on you :thumbsup: