Classic Airframes 1/48 MiG-3 (early)

Righto, well, the build is mostly done, except for fidly bits like the pitot and wheels, but everything else is good to go. I masked up the canopy and shot some silver on the wing roots, prop, and exhaust. I think I will try using some liquid mask on the silver before i do the rest of the paint to simulate paint wear once it is done. the wing roots on these migs were notoriously prone to wear down to the metal, and the pics of the plane i am doing show a good bit of prop chipping as well. hopefully it will turn out well. once i mask the chipped areas, i will shoot ALL Blue on the cockpit frame then preshade. Gonna be cutting this one close!

masked.jpg

got the chipping masks done last night, then sprayed the ALL Blue. Let that dry for a day then masked the prop, the metal areas of the fuse and wing, and the fuse number. then I sprayed the AEh9 Gray. I was going to shoot the ALL Green first, but I figured it would look the same either way, but would be easier to shoot the lighter colors first, hence the gray. kinda hard to see int he pic since the styrene is almost the same shade. ALL Green tomorrow, maybe ALL Dark Green too if I can, then decals and weathering. Thanks for looking.

preshadeandmask.jpg

bottomblue.jpg

topleftgray.jpg

got some more good paint work in tonight. I had some time to paint early on, which I dont usually get, and then some time later, so I was able to paint the AII Green and AII Dark Green. Since the only photos of this plane are of the left side with the wings ripped off, and even then there is an ongoing debate as to what even that section really looked like, I was able to take a good bit of artistic license with this one. The theory behind this paint job, at least the one I am following, is that this was originally AII Green over AII Blue. However, for the recon role, they added some cooler camo with the Aeh9 Gray on top. however, they realized that the Gray was too much and ruined the ground effect of the camo, so they added AII Dark Green inside the Gray areas to break it up. I hope that I was able to convey that theory at least somewhat accurately with this paint job. Once the paint has had a day or so to dry, I will unmask the nose, fuse number, and AII Blue and shoot some gloss for the decals. Thanks again for looking.

leftgreen.jpg

topgreen.jpg

leftdarkgreen.jpg

topdarkgreen.jpg

Thanks David, I am looking forward to see how the wing roots turn out too, this is my first try with this method. I shot some gloss, decalled it up (just 6 stars) but the decal from the kit were crap. The disintigrated as soon as they hit water. Luckily I have some sheets of Russian start from Eagle Strike so I used some of those in the appropriate sizes. The tail star is slanted to that it is level with the ground when the plane is on its landing gear, but tilted forward when the plane is flying. I shot another coat of gloss over top and once that is dry I can do the panel lines then shoot some flat and unmask everything else. Thanks!

leftdecalgloss.jpg

topdecalgloss.jpg

It is rather frog like, though more graceful looking. Well, it is done, just under the wire. I havent had a chance to take pics of it finished, but I will probably do those tomorrow night. For now, I am off to bed!

Here are the pics as promised. The kit was a decent kit, and the only early MiG-3 available in 1.48 right now, though Trump has announced one for later this year supposedly. The paint chipping came out ok, it matches alot of pics I have seen, but I cant decide if it is a bit much or not. Anywho, did a little weathering after the flat coat, added the wheels etc. and unmasked everything and there she was. Thanks for following along and thanks for a great GB everyone!

port.jpg

portnose.jpg

portrear.jpg

top.jpg

noselow.jpg

bottom.jpg

Great work and very nice looking. Especially, I like the wheathering of undercariage bays.

Maybe I suggest to add some very little chiping arround wing roots and propeller blades. I think the silver chipping paint looks little unnatural. I mean, the little and tiny scratchs are missing.

By the way, I remember when I have seen the propeler blades on an aircraft. All blade was in black colour, but the leading edge was flaked off. Towards end blade the "silver chipping" was larger. There was even the insect´s blood. Really disgusting :pray: But I think in our scales the red would be too excessive.

Best regards,

David

Thanks David. That is exactly what I was talking about when I said I wasnt too sure about the way the paint chipping came out. Just haven't decided the best way to do some smaller chipping to make it all look good together. The prop blade chipping was done based on what I could see in the pics of the real plane, which appeared to have fairly significant paint peeling on almost the whole blade. i think this may be due to the fact that the blades were painted in the camo color which may have come off in larger flakes than usual. Standard prop blades were bare aluminum on the front, so there wasn't anything for the filed applied paint to grab on to. Once I figure out how I want to do some smaller scratches, I will add a few more pics.

Wow, somebody actually restored one to flying status?! Cool!

As much as I like seeing a real MiG-3 flying, I sure as heck would NOT want to fly it. The plane alone is a real handful when I take it up in IL-2 Sturmovik since it needs a long runway to take off properly.

Edited by Jay Chladek