1954 Edwards AFB openhouse: Part 1

It's taking awhile to get these scanned and cleaned up, but I have a group of 6 out of 13 ready for your enjoyment. Using all my print resources and some web searches I have determined this is probably Edwards in '54. Some interesting subjects (people as well as airplanes).

Douglas X-3 Stilleto, Bell X-5, Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket in NACA colors; and others on the ramp:

xplanesweb.jpg

Douglas XF4D Skyray prototype. Check out the kid in the red shorts. He'll be a recuring theme.....

XF4Dweb.jpg

Douglas XA4D Skyhawk prototype.

XA4Dweb.jpg

Northrop F-89 Scorpion. Possibly a "D". Can't really tell.

F89web.jpg

One of the early B-57A Canberras. Possibly 52-1419 use for stability and control evaluation at Edwards. What I really, REALLY, want to know is what is that humongous contraption on the right, that appears to be carrying a 22,000 lb. Grand Slam bomb shape?? Anybody? Its gotta be more than just an ordinance loader.

b57aweb.jpg

One of the gems in the find. A North American B-45A Tornado. Glass nose bomber version. Cool.

b45aweb.jpg

Watch for part 2 soon.....

Rick L.

There is a slide of the -II Skyrocket coming. Part 3...

Yes, it would be nice today to not have to fight the crowds, the venders, and the recruitment rides, VIP Bleachers, porta-potties, etc. for decent photos.

Check out the attire. Almost all of the men are wearing slacks; women mostly have skirts, and very few people if any are over weight.

Rick L.

Rick, thanks for posting these pictures. Simply amazing to look back in time like that, the quality is amazing for as old as the pictures are. As far as I'm concerned, if there is ever an era to go back to, it's right there.

- Chris

Edited by Tomcat7742
One of the early B-57A Canberras. Possibly 52-1419 use for stability and control evaluation at Edwards. What I really, REALLY, want to know is what is that humongous contraption on the right, that appears to be carrying a 22,000 lb. Grand Slam bomb shape??

Quite possibly. The USAF bought a few in the late 40s/early 50s for B-29s and B-36s, possibly B-47s as well. It could also be a loading dummy for an early atom bomb.