Welcome to the forum for the Nightfighter Group build.

We are going to keep it simple with the forum. You can see a thread for entries, use it to post whatever you are planning to build.

For this group build, the subject is nightfighters. This group build crosses quite a few timelines, since any aircraft that had a primary assigned mission of night time air to air combat is eligible. This means anything from WWI Zeppelin hunters through the early jet nightfighters such as the Meteor and Vampire nightfighter families. Aircraft labled as 'all weather' are not included.

If it is a nightfighter and not more then 50% completed, it is eligible for entry. Use threads to keep everyone informed of your progress, it is by sharing our experiences here that we get the 'group' part of the building.

Have fun! :)

Tough call Jeff. The idea behind this build has been fighters, not night bombers (aircraft with an air to ground mission). If you can wait a bit for final determination, I want to see what the other mods think here as well. Night attack (intruders and bombers) could be a group build theme all by itself.

Not a big deal Chuck.....just wanted to get it off the pile. I can throw a Ju88G-6 or C-6 or bf110 in if need

be :thumbsup:

Doesn't look good for a Black Cat though....somebody was wondering about that in Jay's original

"NFGB coming soon" thread.

I just posted on this in the Props forum before I saw this thread here. My thought was that night attack aircraft are more akin to night fighters than night bombers. The Black Cat and TBM-3D seem like they would fit in this GB, certainly more so than say, a Lancaster. My thought would be to allow them in. This may also be because my thoughts on GBs in general are to err on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion. There is no shortage of GB ideas coming down the pipeline, so the chances of getting a night bombers GB in anytime soon seems slim, though we did just have the Heavies GB, so those lanc builders had their fix. (I guess the same could be said for the Black Cat - Splash GB) What are your thoughts Chuck and Dave?

Here is my reasoning better explained. (I hope) There was a wide range of aerial activity during nightime hours. It started with bombing, led to night fighters to combat the bombers and then intruders and eventually included electronic missions, both offensive and defensive, as well as rescue, and ground force insertion/recovery. Some of this is included in other various group builds such as Special Ops in the Vietnam or Desert Storm GBs, night bombers in the Heavies, etc. This one, fighters, was intended, at least from the time James Rolfe and I first began discussing the possibility more than a year ago, was going to be focused on fighters, specifically air to air. Kind of like the early discussion regarding the scope of the Eastern Front GB, when one of the initial ideas was eastern front 1939 to 1945, it was narrowed down to inlcude Barbarossa and beyond. The earlier campaigns (Poland and the Balkans) would be covered with different group builds.

While this nightfighter group build could expand in scope to include attack aircraft, where is the line drawn? Or is there a line? And if it becomes too broad, it could reduce the option for a future night attack build which could concentrate on the bomber/intruder roles. Also those of us who are slow builders would have no hope of getting models done that could include both night fighting and night attack aircraft. I look at the group builds as an opportunity to build a model (or possibly models) in that specific genre that I probably never have gotten around to building otherwise, either because I was caught up in endless P-47s or Bf 109s or even doing non-modeling activities.

If Jay and Moeggo think night attack should be included, by all means, lets do it, but this is why I thought to exclude the night attack aircraft.

Hello GB Moderators

I remeber then Defense of The Reich GB, where with had a discustion regarding what could enter, and it became pretty exhausting.

Why not stick to your original entry definition and avoid all discutions, all of us have had plenty of time to get use to the rules that has been put forward earlier.

Nightfigters are planes designed for attacting other planes/Airships in the air at night, and there should be plenty of good objects.

So save the nightbombers for the next group build.

cheers

Jes

See Jes, therein lies the problem. There was no real set entry definition. Sure, night bombers were out, and night fighters were in, but night attack aircraft, sort of that gray area between the two, never really discussed. I am curious to hear Dave's thoughts on the subject, but it occurs to me that I haven't seen him around the forum for a while.

I would like to suggest that NIghtfighter covers any plane whose primary purpose was the destruction of enemy bombers or fighters in the air.

If the primary purpose was bombing or ground attack at night then that plane is not really in keeping.

Think of the mossie, a bomber that also did pr, and ground attack, but t he Nightfighter was a distinct variant. I don't believe that the nf mossie carried bombs as that would have reduced its range and loiter time.

I reckon the best way to determine if a plane is elligible is to think FIGHTER, at night.

Fighter for me conjures up spits hurries and mustangs. with guns. lots of guns. more guns!!!

sorry, ahem. Ju88 started as a bomber but has a nightfighter version whose sole purpose was air interception.

This would be my interpretation and I hope its useful for the build masters, I dont want to tread on any toes though so you can take it as the ramblings of a nutter. ta :thumbsup:

I would like to suggest that NIghtfighter covers any plane whose primary purpose was the destruction of enemy bombers or fighters in the air.

If the primary purpose was bombing or ground attack at night then that plane is not really in keeping.

Think of the mossie, a bomber that also did pr, and ground attack, but t he Nightfighter was a distinct variant. I don't believe that the nf mossie carried bombs as that would have reduced its range and loiter time.

I reckon the best way to determine if a plane is elligible is to think FIGHTER, at night.

Fighter for me conjures up spits hurries and mustangs. with guns. lots of guns. more guns!!!

sorry, ahem. Ju88 started as a bomber but has a nightfighter version whose sole purpose was air interception.

This would be my interpretation and I hope its useful for the build masters, I dont want to tread on any toes though so you can take it as the ramblings of a nutter. ta :soapbox:

Hi sorry but Im with jamesrolfe on this one a fighter is a fighter,

wellzy : :cheers:

This would be my interpretation and I hope its useful for the build masters, I dont want to tread on any toes though so you can take it as the ramblings of a nutter. ta :cheers:

Its a night fighter GB, so I agree with this posting. We can always do a night bomber GB another time imho :)

Matt

Hi Polisher

I did the revell kit some years ago now itis a 70`s ? kit and shows it age but with some work a good model can be made good luck look forward to the out come .

wellzy ( see you up the Holmesdale Rd End) :)

F-117 ok or not?

unfortunately not. F-117 is certainly a bomber only, no fighter in it (despite the "stealth fighter" moniker). Plus, though it flies almost exclusively at night, it was not designed exclusively for night operations. I think the latest planes that would qualify are the Vampire and Meteor NF variants.

Also, on a side note, it seems that Dave has not been around for a while, so I guess we should go ahead and make a determination as to the inclusion of planes that are not strictly fighter types (attack types etc) It seems that the majority consensus is to limit the build to just fighters, and since there are plenty of subjects that fit that category, I think we will go ahead and make that the rule, that only fighters - planes designed to shoot at other planes - are allowed. I know Chuck already feels this way, so I think that is that. So unfortunately that means that the Black Cat and the Avenger are both out. Sorry Jeff, gotta break out another Ju 88! :taunt:

Sorry Jeff, gotta break out another Ju 88! :taunt:

:doh:

might build something inbetween 'off-group' to take a break. That new Do17 looks cool as well as the

Trumpy Wildcat then there's the Eduard Fw190 that I got the Eduard super-set for....decisions, decisions.

But yeah....either a C-6 or G-6 will be thrown in later on.

:thumbsup:

might build something inbetween 'off-group' to take a break. That new Do17 looks cool as well as the

Trumpy Wildcat then there's the Eduard Fw190 that I got the Eduard super-set for....decisions, decisions.

But yeah....either a C-6 or G-6 will be thrown in later on.

You should hang on to the Wildcat and do it for the Med/NA in Torch markings. Toss up between the Eduard 190 (I cant believe you bought MORE PE for it!) and the CA Do 17.

Nah, had another 88A-4 lined up for the Med :D oh and the Monogram He-111 with a ton of PE. :huh:

I got the super-set for the Fw when somebody pointed me at the part number that comes with the Royal

kit. It might be best to stay away from that one for a little while :thumbsup:

I have a hankering for an 80 over 79 mottle. But the AM sheet I have for the 111 is all-over 79 I think.

Somebody built it recently here too I'm pretty sure. Chuck was eyeing that same scheme if I'm not

mistaken :thumbsup: