Theres Parts and then there are PARTS

Hey folks,

It wasn't until I posted a couple of messages that I noticed that there were guidelines to the build. Unfortunately, I have chosen to go whole-hog with my construction of the B-26 kit and will be using resin/photo-etch on mine. Thus, I have disqualified myself. However, I do want to share a couple of things for those who might be building this kit in the future.

On Sunday, I ordered the following from "SprueBrothersModels":

- Eduard photo-etch set for the B-26 Interior

- Quickboost P&W R-2800 resin engines

- Quickboost machine gun barrels

- True Details weighted resin wheels

All arrived today in good order. VERY pleased with their service and order turn-around.

Allow me to make some observations on the items.

- First, the Eduard photo-etch set is incredible. If you want to totally transform the interior of the B-26 model, you need to get this set. It even has .50 cal ammo and ammo belts! What is especially intriguing is the framework for the Martin fuselage turret. It may offer an option of dropping in the turret after construction and painting. I'm still examining the set.

- The Quickboost parts are VERY sharply molded. The engines drop right in the kit's stock cowling and include the funny notch that is on the inside of the Monogram cowlings. Also, it provides a tad of extra weight foward of the CG - needed for this kit. The gun barrels are also sharp and have deeply molded cooling holes and a hollowed-out tip. Even if I WAS building OOB, I would have to replace the kit barrels, as they have NO detail.

- Finally, the True Details weighted wheels are "poo-poo", and I mean that in every sense of the word. They are poorly molded, appearing as if they were either molded from a mold that has long since seen the need for being replaced, or True Details neglected to clean out the molds before pouring this particular example. There is a blob of resin over the detail of the wheel hubs that will be impossible to clean up. also, the diamond tread is softer than that of the kit wheels. In my examination of B-26's parked, the tires aren't nearly as flat as the True Details wheels, so save your money and do it the old-school way. The kit has decent enough wheels that can be made to look very nice.

So, since I am opting to do detail this kit vs. build straight from the box, I will remain on the periphery, but would still like to visit with you folks.

Tex out :explode:

Yeah, they don't call them "Flat Tires" by True Details for nothin'! I got one set once-for the B-24. And that would be the last set.

Shame we won't get to see it come together here, but maybe you'll save it for the Reich Raiders GB next April <_< I have a couple B-26s in the stash and I may have to break out that Limited Edition release for that build. Sounds like that Eduard set will compliment it nicely...

Ken (fallin' waaaay behind)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm forging ahead with the B-26. Finally got decals sorted out. Aeromaster had a sheet with "Flak Bait" and "The Milk Run Special" I've got an urge to do a natural metal bird, so doing "Flak Bait" will have to wait.

Given that the B-26 model needs lots of nose weight, the hollow kit tires will be stuffed with lead wool for added weight and formed to be much less flatter than the True Details wheels.

Cheers!

Yeah, they don't call them "Flat Tires" by True Details for nothin'! I got one set once-for the B-24. And that would be the last set.

Shame we won't get to see it come together here, but maybe you'll save it for the Reich Raiders GB next April :cheers: I have a couple B-26s in the stash and I may have to break out that Limited Edition release for that build. Sounds like that Eduard set will compliment it nicely...

Ken (fallin' waaaay behind)