Do F-16CJ CCIP'd Vipers Carry Litening Pods

I Know with the CCIP program F-16CJ's can carry both the L2 pod and the Sniper pod. But do operational units not test,use the L2 pod? I have always seen them with Snipers.

Thanks in advance!

CCIP Block 50s use all 3 pods interchangeably, although the LANTIRN pod is no longer used in combat. It is, however, used at home during training missions to teach basic targeting pod concepts. The 20FW, for instance, use the LANTIRN pod exclusively. LITENING pods are a relatively new addition to the Block 50 fleet. The 522FS from Cannon used them at Red Flag this past January, as did the 35FW. Spang is now using Sniper and LITENING in the dual pod/HTS configuration.

Jake

Didn't McEntire carry Litenings during OIF? Or did they carry LANTIRNs?

Chappie

LANTIRN. Did you get my book yet? There a few photos of McEntire jets during OIF with the LANTIRN pods.

Jake

LANTIRN. Did you get my book yet? There a few photos of McEntire jets during OIF with the LANTIRN pods.

Jake

McEntire carried both the LANTIRN and LITENING pods during OIF... in fact they had the dedicated SC ANG C-130s travel around the US to scrounge some of the LITENINGs.

Here's the pic of one at Al Udeid with the LITENING.

030405-F-5712B-013.jpg

Thanks Seista, that is the picture of the McEntire jet I was thinking of.

Good news for the Triple Nickel maintenance crews in the picture of 88-435, he returned from the sortie "Code One". Notice the pilot's hand signal?

Chappie

Pardon my ignorance, but what does 'code one' mean?

It means that the jet has nothing "broken". If a jet is Code One the maintenance guys only have to do routine maintenance on the aircraft. In DC, the pilots will call into Ops that they are 10 minutes out and give each aircraft's Code status and that info is passed down the line via radio.

Code Two means something minor is broken and Code Three means the jet is broke bad. And the term "broke" does not mean something is physcially broken, it could mean broken software too.

I also noticed in the shot of the McEntire jet that the marshaller is wearing a watch.....naughty, naughty.

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
I also noticed in the shot of the McEntire jet that the marshaller is wearing a watch.....naughty, naughty.

Why? He is not allowed to know what time it is? :blink:

Why? He is not allowed to know what time it is? :blink:

We hear it over and over and over...."No rings, watches, or jewelry on the flightline." It's a safety thing. Before heading to the flightline, I take off my wedding ring, put it on my watch, and hook my watch around my belt.

Chappie

haha funny story about "code 2" my pilot squaked he was 10 min out code 2 for HTS. After I marshalled him in and my "b" men chalked him i plugged in my comm cord. He said chief ya im gonna be code2 for my HTS pod not working. I looked at him puzzled and looked at the other side of the jet. I waited for him to shut down and hop out to let him know he wasnt even carrying an HTS pod on the jet. hahaha he was like "thats gonna be an awesome bar story"

We hear it over and over and over...."No rings, watches, or jewelry on the flightline." It's a safety thing. Before heading to the flightline, I take off my wedding ring, put it on my watch, and hook my watch around my belt.

OK, makes sense. Here we are obliged to wear a FOD-free coverall while on the flightline or working in the hangar, without pockets etc. It has elastic bands on the wrists and ankles, so any jewelry that might get loose, will not leave your coverall.

Of course that's the theoretic part. In reality, to keep the bloodflow going, those elastic bands are removed. And only 25% of all people wear those coveralls, and with summer fast approaching that percentage will steadily drop. :blink:

haha funny story about "code 2" my pilot squaked he was 10 min out code 2 for HTS. After I marshalled him in and my "b" men chalked him i plugged in my comm cord. He said chief ya im gonna be code2 for my HTS pod not working. I looked at him puzzled and looked at the other side of the jet. I waited for him to shut down and hop out to let him know he wasnt even carrying an HTS pod on the jet. hahaha he was like "thats gonna be an awesome bar story"

I had a similar experience: pilot reporting problems with the ALQ-131 on the centerline station just after start up. You've guessed it: empty station :blink: