Guys hi

Current project is of a B25J from the 498th BS "the Falcons".

First up a thumbnail sketch of the initial idea, this measures about 5"x2"

prep1.jpg

then some larger value sketches to help determine the angle of view of the aircraft.

The aircraft wingspan here measure around 10 inches for these 3 sketches

tn_p3.gif

tn_p2.gif

tn_p1.gif

My preference is for the last one, and I'm currently working on the formal

aircraft drawing that will be transfered to the canvas. As you can see from the second sketch these

aircraft had the yellow/green falcons head painted on the nose.

This subject has been done by some of the very top names in aviation art, so it is a challenge

to avoid doing something too similar.

All comments and critique welcome as this one progresses.

Pete

Spent most of the day researching Japanese merchant shipping (surprisingly interesting).

comp2b.jpg

It's not clear here but the ship is to be backdropped by a large watersplash, smoke cloud, to give the necessary compositional shape.

I'm not sure whether a third aircraft is needed top right ?

Thoughts welcome

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Gents hi

Managed to make some progress with the drawings transfered to the canvas, and a first attempt at the background slapped in.

b1a.jpg

I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but I think I need to put some paint down on the main B25 to give some sense of contrast and take the eye away from the background.

Thoughts welcome and apologies for an iffy photo, the clouds have a hint of orange that the camera has really picked up on. The entire background took about an hour

Pete

Don hi

That's the plan. I've raised the main B-25 so as to increase its importance, which squeezed out the possibility of a 2nd plane on the left (as viewed). By going with the 2nd plane on the right (as viewed) I establish the compositional triangle I was after.

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman

Made some good progress today, despite building a flat pack book shelf for my eldest daughter, and setting up a LAN wireless net work so my wife can access the internet on her new laptop. Techie I'm not but it saved me some £60 in doing it myself.

Anyway enough chatter

b3a.jpg

Looks a little flat at the moment so I'll need to increase the contrasts between light and shade, especially on the nose

Pete

looks GREAT so far! i agree, the second plane would look better on the right making a triangle pattern as opposed to the dreaded "three in a row" composition. makes me want to get back to drawing and painting.....i miss being in school and having studio space available to paint. oh well.

keep it up and post more.

Bill

I wasn't happy with the way this was shaping up, so given it is only

a study, I decided to go a little wild with it.

The two water spouts need to coloured a little as they are too white at the moment but I'm quite pleased with the result of two to three minutes slapping with a large brush

b4a.jpg

Pete

Nearly there now,

b7a.jpg

Just need to deal with the cockpit and turret glazing on the main aircraft,

the prop arcs/blades, and final highlights and also finish off the 2nd aircraft

once the current paint is dry.

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments

I'm calling the glazing finished, so I just need to let it dry before adding the frames to both the cockpit and top turret, and the part I'm really looking forward to - namely the prop arcs.

b8a.jpg

And then its pretty much done

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this one done- I struggled with the light through the cockpit canopy and top turrent, and so have just stopped here - I could and probably would rework it for ever.

Oil on canvas, 20"x8"

B-25finalA.jpg

A couple of detail shots

B-25finaldetail1.jpg

B-25finaldetail2.jpg

B-25finaldetail3.jpg

These last 3 shots are larger than actual size (on my monitor anyway).As you can see up close the detail is pretty loose.

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman