Time to get started, P-39 Airacobra

This is a great ol kit. This boxing is copyrighted in 1989. I just got it from another modeler for this build. The instruction sheet say the first copy right was 1969. Ah 19 years old- those were the days!! :blink: Oh well, these aren't too bad a days as retirement is now finally within sight!! :D

Anyway, on to the kit-

P-39.jpg

the parts-

P-39-2.jpg

And the markings-

P-39-3.jpg

I picked this scheme since it isn't one I'd normally do. I have multiple sheets of really nice, colorful P-39s (including the captivating Air-a-cutie!! :o ) that I want to festoon some Hase and Eduard birds with. So this will be a good plane for these! One more post and it's off to the paint shop!! :banana::doh:

Edited by mclents

Well the P-39 is finally under way. Nothing too exciting, just paint the green. I used MM Medium Green to approximate the elusive "Bell Green". Some rebuilds seem to use more of a bronze green like Republic with their P-47, but I think that too dark. And the Med Green is a nicer deeper tone than MM's int green. So that's what I'm using. I thought that the plane I'd decided to depict would probably be fairly fresh, but in perusing through a couple of ref books last night, found a pic of the plane and it's pretty beat up and weathered. I found that interesting.

part of the green parts-

groupbuilds020.jpg

The plastic for this iteration of the venerable kit is dark green as can be seen.

As an aside- is there a way to change the header of this post? The edit button lets one edit the body of the post but not the header. I thought it'd be nice to indicate this thread is about the 39. Any help greatly appreciated.

As an aside- is there a way to change the header of this post? The edit button lets one edit the body of the post but not the header. I thought it'd be nice to indicate this thread is about the 39. Any help greatly appreciated.

Done! :blink:

NB: Changing post titles is moderator only territory.

:P

MikeJ

I'm trying to work on multiples but the 39 is now the furthest along and I'll probably concentrate on this one till completion. I still have some cleanup to do, but here's the detail work on the innards-

P-39-11.jpg

P-39-10.jpg

P-39-9.jpg

P-39-8.jpg

And the seat had an ejector pin mark right in the middle of the seat ruining the molded in belts. I tried to salvage it but it was a losing battle. Not that I'm estatic about the tape belts I added. Not being able to use fine wire made them very simplistic, but that's the spirit of the build isn't it? :D

P-39-7.jpg

Be awhile till I get back to any of this though since I'll be off for vacation here next week, back a week then gone again for a litlle over a week :whistle: Be good while I'm gone :D

McL

Edited by mclents
Good recovery on those seat harnesses. They will look good under the canopy.

Are you modeling the doors open?

:D

MikeJ

Just the one door. On this old kit, one door is molded shut. I may close the other one too since I'm not enamoured with the belts. But your right, through the thick distorting canopy, they may look alright :banana: .

I'm off to Boston tonight till Tuesday, so it'll sit and wait patiently for me I suppose.

McL

I have the released Pro-Modeller version of this kit along with Cutting Edge (?) Air-a-cutie decals. Not as nice as the Pyn-up release but still very good none the less.

:D

MikeJ

• 1 month later...

Finally back from vacation (Florida, Disney World, Epcot, Kennedy Space Center et al were fantastic :whistle: ).

Sat down yesterday and did a lot of gluing. Got the Cockpit done and in, and proceeded to glue the fuselage, wings and tail together. Surprisingly, I did remember the lead sinkers in the nose, so it will sit like it's supposed to. (I tested it by throwing on the main wells). Did the Future dip of the canopy on Saturday. No pics as this is just the general assembly work. Gonna try the filler/Cutex trick as outlined in ARC's tools and tips to see if I can retain the raised panels. I'll take so pics so you see how it goes. I'm not leaving any of the panels open, so I glued those closed. The ones around the exhausts fit fairly well, but the gun cover one was less than great. Hoping a couple of coats of paint will help. Anyway, that's the progress to date. Perhaps a few pics tonight.........

McL