Detail ref pics of the RA 5C Vigilante

DSC04787.jpg

Very nice model !!

Where did you get the decals ?

Any aftermarket used ?

You can e-mail more pics of your model to me :blink:

I've looked at the instructions sheet, do you have to put the front undercarriage in the fuselage so early in the building sequence ?

Greeeetzzz,

Luc

• 4 years later...

Hi there

As i am right now about to start my build of a 1/48 Vigi myself, i'm also looking for some pics. Since i was in san diego on uss midway two years ago, i am quite happy with my own closeup shoots of that bird. Unfortunately my display case is a bit more cramped than the deck of midway i have (and want) to depict it with folded wings (the one on midway is with extended wings).

So i'm looking for some detail shots of the wingfold section. By now i googled quite a bit and found out that the one on presentation in Pensacola has folded wings. So is there anyone out there who is willing to share some RA-5C Vigilante wingfold pictures?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards

Roman

I'll see what I got on the wingfold for the Vigi. I have some references & a couple books on them. The Ginter book Naval Fighters #64 and, if you can find it, the Aerofax book on the Vigilante.

I'll check back later & post a few pics.

Eddie

Tken from the Aerofax Minigraph 9 Noth American Rockwell A3J/A-5 Vigilante by Michael Grove and Jay Miller

RA-5Cwingfold.jpg

This is the best I can find on the wingfold. Let me know if there's anything else ya need.

Eddie

For aftermarket, I'd highly recommend the Nautilus brace set. It's hard to keep the seams from popping without it. Also, Steel Beach makes a set of resin intake plugs. They need to be installed before the intakes are fully put together. Because of the weird angles of the intake ramps, they couldn't be designed to put in after construction.

I got my brace set today from Nautilus - Took a little bit of time to find one. I got worried given all of the advice that it's pretty much necessary - A couple of other places showed them as discontinued (including Sprue Bros - my go to). Definitely available from AAA Hobby/Nautilus -

I got my brace set today from Nautilus - Took a little bit of time to find one. I got worried given all of the advice that it's pretty much necessary - A couple of other places showed them as discontinued (including Sprue Bros - my go to). Definitely available from AAA Hobby/Nautilus -

Kewl!! I need to get one for my 1/48 Vigi myself. I'll have to check out AAA Hobby sometime. :thumbsup:

Eddie, thank you very much for sharing those pics. The definitly bring me farther. (I realized that the wingfold mecanism is quite simple, compared to the one found in a skyraider for example). Furthermore you brought me on the track of Aerofax and Ginter. Is Aerofax available somewhere (printed)? By now i know about the squadron books. Is there more hidden secret (for a newbie like me) series that i should know about??

Concerning the Nautilus brace: I ordered one about two weeks ago (but of course they have to cross the pond). Unfortunately (actually i find it great) i'm making quite good progress and not long and i will need them... But waiting on them i can detail the wingfold :) .

By the way i'm planning on building the RVAH-6 from the AeroMaster Decal sheet (unless one of you guys is in posession of the Victory Productions Sheet...)

Thanks again

Roman

Edited by romang

Eddie, thank you very much for sharing those pics. The definitly bring me farther. (I realized that the wingfold mecanism is quite simple, compared to the one found in a skyraider for example). Furthermore you brought me on the track of Aerofax and Ginter. Is Aerofax available somewhere (printed)? By now i know about the squadron books. Is there more hidden secret (for a newbie like me) series that i should know about??

Concerning the Nautilus brace: I ordered one about two weeks ago (but of course they have to cross the pond). Unfortunately (actually i find it great) i'm making quite good progress and not long and i will need them... But waiting on them i can detail the wingfold :) .

By the way i'm planning on building the RVAH-6 from the AeroMaster Decal sheet (unless one of you guys is in posession of the Victory Productions Sheet...)

Thanks again

Roman

The Aerofax book on the Vigilnte is available atAmazon

The wingfold is fairly simple comapared to other birds of that era.

I'll be doing my VIgi up as a bird from RVAH-9 since my uncle flew with them back in 1966 & was lo0st t sea in BuNo: 149312 on 16 JAN 66 off the Ranger.

Glad to help you with your Vigi. :thumbsup:

Hey Janne

Awesome build you got there. I did not know about the cutting edge intakes. But chances for me to get those are quite small i guess... I was about to start on the leading edge slats.. Now i will dryfit some more... Thanks for sharing!