Boeing FB-1, VF-10M with the China Expedition, 1928

Well, Gentlemen, the wings are pretty much in hand: they are shaped, ribbed, scalloped, marked for panel applique here and there, and strut locator holes started. I have left ribs and scalloping off the ailerons at present, as the pattern is a little different in one spot. There will also be a final general smoothing with fine-grain sand-paper, and primer, before painting. The first picture is the upper surfaces, the second, the undersurfaces.

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

The ribs are put in by a combination of scraping with a No. 10 blade, and sanding with little coils of 230 grit sandpaper. The object is not to produce troughs between the ribs, but leave small ridges standing up from the surface. What is being replicated in rib detailing is the fastening of the cloth to the ribs, using strips of fabric glued, then sewn or tacked and covered with another glued strip, along the ribs (think the doubled seam on a pair Levis): there was very little sag in the fabric surface, pulled taut on installation by multiple coats of shrinking dope, an appropriate usage in light of the stupifying effect of the fumes on men slathering the stuff onto the fabric. The scalloping at the trailing edge is the effect of the shrinking fabric on a wire trailing edge, and it is put in with a half-round needle file, and trimming with a blade.

The wings themselves are laminates of 2mm and 1mm sheet for the upper, and 1.5mm and 1mm sheet for the lower, glued with epoxy, with the pattern cut from a copy of the drawings glued onto the thicker portion, and after this is shaped, the thinner sheet affixed. The wings have an interesting shape: the spars are set with a slight degree of dihedral in the outer panels, but the wing also tapers in section in these panels, with the result that the upper surface is flat throughout the span, while the lower surface angles sharply up. The angles were filed in, and then the airfoil shaped.

To Mr. King: I am glad of your views on the cockpit shape. I suspect the drawing really shows only the Army version. It indicates an asymmetric wind-screen as well, on the starboard side going along that notch to the front portion, while the port is the same wrap around shape. "Identical to the Army PW12 except for a few small Navy-specified changes" can cover a multitude of things of interest to detailing. I do not have a specific machine in mind, but the only individual markings on the ones in China was a number on the nose, and I will probably make that 3, as I do not know if they were section or squadron numbers, and that would fit in either. I will just pick a serial out of the run: all of these the Corps possessed were with the squadron in China, I gather. I will certainly be bearing in mnd this picture, from Mr. Flycatcher2222, of course

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=124633

A bit more progress, Gentlemen. I have begun on surface detailing, completed on the now primed wings, and begun on the fuselage.

IMG_3201.jpg

Ribbing and scallops and hinges on the ailerons are complete. I have used heavy foil, on areas left flat during ribbing, to indicate access panels opening to strut and rigging fastenings. It will be over-painted with silver, of course, but should have a slightly different aspect, and clear lines. I am using Floquil matte for a primer: as a sort of lacquer, it bites in, and adheres well to foil, and the matte-ing agent gives it some filler properties that are helpful. If I were doing this again, I would probably put the taper into the mating sections of the laminated pieces, rather than doing the taper afterwards: where the thinner laminate 'feathered' out towards the under-surface wing-tips, the surface got a little difficult to work with the scraping blade and cutting grits, though nothing that could not be patched adequately with CA gel.

IMG_3205.jpg

In keeping with my 'worst first' policy, I began by adding the long longitudinal stringer on either side, then altering the cockpit opening on the starboard front to bring it in line with the photograph of a VF-1M FB-1 above, cutting the final slot in the tail area, scraping and sanding turtle-back ribbing, and made a start at adding the inspection panels. The stringer began as a long length of .01" square rod, that I have taken down considerably with light filing and scraping. I have had bad experiences with this in the past, but this one came out all right: it now stands about five thousandths off the surface. The parts than lap onto the cowling will be removed, but they helped sight it in. The slot at the tail accommodates the rear spar of the horizontal stabilizer, and the leading element of the elevators, and will enable me to do the horizontal stabilizer as one piece, with a bit of square rod stuck in behind afterwards. In cutting the slot the thin upper decking suffered badly, and the upper jaw of the slot is mostly a blob of CA gel filed and trimmed after setting to the proper shape. The inspection panels began as rectangles of five thousandths sheet: after attachment, they were thinned down a bit, and then scored for their border ridges, after which the center was scrapped away. The edgings will be further trimmed and sharpened, and there are three more of the things to come, in various places near the tail. They were removable panels of cloth, reminiscent of a stretched painter's canvas, and in pictures show as decidedly raised, and less regular than one might suppose. The turtle-back stringers of the FB-1 went back parallel, rather than converging as the turtle-back narrows in the more usual manner.

The pictures below show the alteration to the cockpit opening. A triangular fillet trimmed off a 2mm by .01" strip was put in, and another bit of the same size glued to the front vertically, its bottom matched to the interior rim, and then trimmed down. A little bit of forming was added with CA gel to the left of this as well.

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

Fuselage detailing is now well under-way, Gentlemen, and pretty well complete on the port side, which has the most. I have added the blast tube fairings, and decking panels in front of the cockpit, including access hatches for the machine guns on either side, and the central access hatch for the ammunition feeds, as well as the gas tank door (though that is on the starboard and not shown), and a decking panel behind the cockpit over the front of the turtleback. All the cloth inspection hatches are in place (including one on the starboard side near the tail), as are the 'steps' leading up to the cockpit. The fastener strips between the metal decking and cowling and the fabric portions of the fuselage, and between the radiator tunnel components and the cowling proper, are in place, on both port and starboard sides. Recesses have also been cut, in the port decking for link ejection from the .30 caliber, in the port cowling for the starter crank, and in the starboard cowling for the oil inlet. The holes near the bottom (all right, gouges) are for locater pegs on the lower wings.

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

The blast tubes began as 7mm lengths of 1.3mm rod, filed to fit the receiving curve and shaped to taper and level. The decking detail is from five thousandths sheet, filed down considerably after being put in place. On the new cloth hatches, and on the steps, I used a slightly different method, cutting the center out of the square of five thousandths sheet before gluing on (with the steps I cut the hole first, and trimmed around it): I prefer the new method, and wish I had thought of it sooner. The fastener strips are half millimeter by quarter millimeter strip, filed down after application: I will be scoring a line down the center of each. In the gap between the fastener elements on the radiator tunnel, there will be a fish-plate receiving the forward cabane struts and landing gear legs. The major detail element remaining is a fair amount of lacing on the starboard side, and some panel-line engraving on the cowling, as well as the cockpit coamings. Depending on the state of my nerve, I intend adding some small fasteners, hinges, and possible some rivets here and there.

I have reached a point where I have to start paying serious attention to markings, because at least one marking element I find I cannot contrive with my materials: I need "U.S. Marines" in letters about a millimeter high, to fit into a 7.5mm space, and my smallest set of letters is a sixteenth of an inch high. I am going to contact a couple of people I know on the board and see what they say before I hit the panic button....

• 2 weeks later...

Things are progressing apace, Gentlemen. I have completed fuselage detailing, made the tail surfaces, and begun some painting. I believe I have solved my decal problem, regarding the U.S. MARINES legend with the Corps emblem, but I am going to hold off on priming and painting the fuselage till I have the markings in hand. I will be doing small bits like the landing gear struttings, spinner and prop, and wheels, over the next few sessions.

IMG_3235.jpg

As you can see, the horizontal stabilizer is all in one piece, with a connenting tab that fits into the slot at the rear of the fuselage. The control horns are lengths of .5mm x .25mm strip passed through holes in the piece, and trimmed and filed to size and shape afterwards.

IMG_3236.jpg

This is the first bit of color. It is brush-painted, with several coats of Pollyscale U.S.Q.M. Orange Yellow, with a touch of red added to some of the coats. The stuff is thinned nearly to a wash consistency, with Model Master Acryl Cleaner: I bought it by accident a while back, but it is an excellent thinner, that seems to dissolve the paint, so to speak, as well as thin it, and practicaly eliminates brush marks. A good deal of drying time between coats is required, as the stuff can lift apparently dry paint effectively or distressingly, as the case may be.

The next two pictures show the lower wings and tail-pieces temporarily in place. I have foiled small metal rims around things like the windows, cartridge ejection chutes, and footholds (the foil on the lower foot-hold came off during handling and will be replaced), and also on some of the decking areas, and the front of the cowling. After looking over the picture above showing the starboard side of a service FB-1, I have decided to leave off the lacings shown on that side on the drawings, as I cannot detect the least sign of it in the photograph.

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

Hi

Your modelling way of life is fantastic. I suppose you do not even buy short run kits.

Congratulations and I am looking forward to seeing your FB-1 finished.

I love this type of aircraft.

Patrick

Hi

Your modelling way of life is fantastic. I suppose you do not even buy short run kits.

Congratulations and I am looking forward to seeing your FB-1 finished.

I love this type of aircraft.

Patrick

Thank you, Sir!

Wife did suggest I might never buy another kit once I took up scratchbuilding the obscure beasts that interest me most a couple of years ago, but I have, and have a modest stash as well. I am probably going to be working soon on an old Monogram Goshawk, that will be in Nationalist Chinese livery, as I expect to pirate its decals for the U.S. insignia on this project, and intend, at least, finally building my Matchbox Wellesley soon, as I have at last found some fragmentary interior information on the type. My next scratchbuild will be a Vickers Vincent biplane, either from Sudan or Aden, for the Mediterranean Group Build starting in October.

I must say that in some ways I do find scratchbuilding a bit easier over-all than many limited run kits, mostly owing to the thickness of the plastic. This makes for an awful lot of work before you can do a proper interior, and bringing trailing edges down to size usually requires redoing the whole surface of wings and tail-pieces, and mostly you have to build your own struts anyway. But I am glad they are there, and appreciate the effort by their makers to put interesting but not widely known types before the modeling public.

On another note, Sir, thank you for the reminder on the assignment of BR-17, elsewhere. I intend getting the propeller on that, and mounting it on its base this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of an up-date, Gentlemen, though nothing worth wife's time for pictures yet.

Decals for the E.A.G. and 'U.S. MARINES' legend on the side behind the cockpit are now in hand, and it looks like I did not botch the measurements I made, so that they will fit where they should without need of shifting any surface detail around a smidge here and here. I had been worried I might have to do that, and so held off on priming and painting the fuselage, but I in the drying phases of that now. I ought to have the fuselage painted and decals applied by the middle of next week.

jezz, I'm loving this. You are doing all of the from scratch? :coolio:

Yes, Staff Sergeant, this is all from scratch. Though I am not doctrinaire about it: if there were something in my spares box, or even among stashed kits, that would be appropriate, I would certainly employ it. The only time I did anything that had to be completely from scratch was this Caudron GIII, and it was a condition of the contest I entered it in that absolutely nothing be taken from a kit or an aftermarket source, save decals.

01.CaudronCageapoule.300dpi.jpg

I got $250 prize money for it....

Here is where things stand now, Gentlemen. The fuselage is ninety percent complete, I would say: all decals are on, including the Corps emblem and squadron marking (the latter is home-made, with the 'running devil' painted on with a toothpick): there remains only a bit more painting, the wind-screen, and a few other tiny bits. The next step will be to attach the lower wings, and then the tail surfaces (which are only tacked in place for the pictures). The Insignia on the upper wing is from a Sierra Scale set for the Hawk III, tha I got for its Nationalist Chinese markings; the stripes on the tail are a combnation of painting (for the blue) and strips of white and red decal film .

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

Hi Old Man

This is a wonderful kit you have built so far.

I am sure the rigging will be a piece of cake after that.

Out of this subject the new Icare about the 5th Army is published.

Sincerely.

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of an update, Gentlemen, albeit pictureless, as wife's convenience dictates when they can be shot....

I have lower wings, tail, and undercarriage struts assembled to the fuselage now, and will be attaching the upper wing this weekend.

A bit of an update, Gentlemen, albeit pictureless, as wife's convenience dictates when they can be shot....

I have lower wings, tail, and undercarriage struts assembled to the fuselage now, and will be attaching the upper wing this weekend.

nice i sit waiting with the utmost anticipation :doh:

Well, Gentleman, the major hurdle is passed: the upper wing is on....

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

I assembled the cabane struts first to the fuselage, affixed the upper wing to these, and then fitted the interplane N struts to the existing gap, rear uprights first, then front uprights, then bracing bar. I thank the modeling gods for their kindness, as it went together very well, better than usual. The cabanes really should splay out another half millimeter to each side, but the level, both side to side and angle of attack, was precise enough I did not think I should tempt fate by re-doing them, and went ahead and put the thing on as it was.

What remains, in no particular order, is blast tube extensions, attaching wheels and spinner/propellor, tail skid, rigging, and some final detail painting and touchings up here and there. There is not a lot of rigging on this: only the front spar is braced, with doubled flight wires and single landing wires. The wheels and spiner are already made, but not yet painted.

Finally, just because it remains my favorite part of modeling, here is a magnified look into the cockpit....

IMG_3298.jpg