1/32-scale Bf 109G-2 Revell/Monogram Pro modeler

Count.jpg

Here I am, joining the “Eastern Front†GB, with the Pro modeler Bf 109G-4 Trop.

I will be making it as Walter Krupinski’s yellow 5 of JG 52 in Russia in 1942. This plane was the G-2 variant, therefore I will be leaving out the wheel bulges on the tops of the wings and filling in a few of the extra panel lines.

I will be fitting the 20mm under wing canon pods and will also be using the resin wheels as supplied.

There wont be any need for after market bits as this kit is very complete but I will be adding scratch-built seatbelts and someone has kindly supplied me with some JG 52 markings.

It is a nice change to build a detailed kit virtually out of the box. Being able to just open the box and put the kit together is certainly proving to be a novelty. Especially after building the old Revell kits.

A decent seat, nicely detailed cockpit walls, little knobs and switches that I normally have to make myself, are all on the tree. All I have to do is cut them off and glue them in… I’m even following the instructions!!!

The routine of it almost takes the fun out of it.

I am surprised, however, that Revell have decided not to include an engine, but that won’t matter this time.

Here's the cockpit prior to fuse assembly. Bog standard, just like EVERY other 109 on this site.

I still like to paint my control panels rather than use decals or bezels.

Better light will mean better pics... won't necessarily mean better modeling though!

03cockpit.jpg

Edited by Allok
Is the R-M kit rebox of Hasegawa's 109? Pardon ignorance - I'm not following developments in 32nd.

Looking forwards to watching your progress.

Apparently, yes it is.

See here for details.

Pictures003.jpg

Most of the construction is completed. All I need now is some warm weather to do some painting.

Pictures002.jpg

Is that your model? Haven't seen an a/c model in such advanced state but without a speck of paint in a while :salute:. Maybe you're an armor guy? Keep it up in any case :coolio:.

Haven't seen an a/c model in such advanced state but without a speck of paint in a while.

The inside is painted... ;)

I normally glue as much of the plane together as I can prior to painting, makes painting camo easier and helps hide any filled joints. The glass, the cart and the prop are not attached yet.

Everybody does it differently.

I have done a bit of armour.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheers guys.

Initially, I thought the camo looked too spotty and deliberate but every time I go back and look at the photos, I think it looks about right. (The white-wall tyres are my favorite bit)

The mottle on the later Gs was definitely a lot more subtle.

Here's a few decals to get the ball rolling. I will touch up the number and paint on the band, etc, etc...

"Time is running out" (Big Muse fan).

Pictures012.jpg

Pictures011.jpg

More paint and the rest of the data decals.

Still coming to grips with how colourful these little planes were. They spent all that time creating careful, subtle disruptive paterns only to paint hi-viz crosses and bright yellow markings all over them.

Madness...

Yet at the same time, very cool.

Pictures013.jpg

Pictures014.jpg

My apologies to anyone who may be sensitive to the tail markings but I assure you, I do not intended this as a political statement.

Edited by Allok
  • 1 month later...