Started work last week on a Hasegawa 1/48 F-104G Starfighter in the markings of 311sqn Royal Netherlands Airforce.

In am using a CMK set (with resin C-2 seat and avionicsbay) which has a few mistakes but nothing that can´t be corrected using the proper references. Will be using the Dutch Decal sheet for the F/TF-104G that was recently re-released and comes with the Dutch importer´s boxing of the Hasegawa TF-104G.

Work in progress at the moment, will post some pics later this week!

• 4 months later...
Work in progress at the moment, will post some pics later this week!

Well, in the end I didn't quite make 'later this week'! Due to work and other commitments this has been a slow build. The good news is: I just finished it :whistle:

Made the deadline!

The CMK set for the avionics bay is a good basis. You still need to do some major scratch building to make it look closer to the real thing. For example: the CMK set gives you eight avionic boxes to put in the 'T-rack' (the avionics bay behind the cockpit). I took some pictures of a real Starfighter and it has nine...

Scratch building the tubing inside the canopy was also a major PITA, can't wait for DACO to come out with their F-104 update set!

I used decals from Dutch decal (the Dutch importer of Hasegawa puts these in the Hase 1/48 TF-104G kits for the Dutch market). Wasn't overly impressed with these. I also used some stencilling from the TwoBobs Komatsu Starfighters sheet. After all, stencilling was in English language on both Japanese and Dutch one-o-fours!

I wanted to do a Dutch F-104G of 311sqn in the early gray colourscheme. I found only one picture of a 311 jet in that colour, and it was this one.

This was only the second 1/48 model I ever build (I do 1/72 normally), and I must say Hasegawa has done a very good job on their F-104. With 11 more in the stash, it is safe to say this wasn't my last one!!

_DSC4768.jpg

_DSC4769.jpg

_DSC4770.jpg

_DSC4772.jpg

_DSC4774.jpg