Wild Weasel/Iron Hand Group Build

Here's something to get the juices flowing ....

junetrip037.jpg

Actually This is one group build I think I will get involved in , I've already got in 32nd F-4G, F-105G, and an EF-4C - not to mention a re-worked Prowler in 48th - so looks like an F-100F in 32nd , assuming Trumpter get their finger out

Oh BTW The SAM 2 can be seen a "Scotlands Secret Bunker" - hidden away in the wilds of Fifshire - its the only one in the UK I believe ..

It's never too late !!!!! In my opinion build as you want - don't let some group build dictate your life. But hey I think this would be a very cool and unique group build.

10201717_1024.ts1177811177000.jpg

A man after my own heart!

Im in with acouple of Spang warbirds for sure

It's never too late !!!!! In my opinion build as you want - don't let some group build dictate your life. But hey I think this would be a very cool and unique group build.

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely going to consider this one. It'll all hinge on if I can actually finish my A-6 for the USMC GB.

I'm sure by then I'll have something in mind that fits the Wild Weasel/Iron Hand/SEAD mission profile...

• 4 months later...

ok im in with sinister vampire EF-105F 319 of the 44th TFS

using the re-issue revell 1/48 F-105G kit with the blackbox tub, legend productions gun bay and refueling probe and the aeroclub white metal legs.

when are we going to get a forum for this one? its not too far away now!

Sadly I'll be moving in February (probably) and then going back through the FRS, so I doubt I'll be able to build (depends on what squadron I get orders to and their schedule, yada yada - if it works out I have time, I'll see about jumping in). But I'll certainly enjoy watching!

Think I may be joining this one. EF-4C in 1:72nd; Hasegawa F-4C with Eduard F-4E p/e (close enough for nukes), Aires exhausts and some scratchbuilding. Got the Two Bobs sheet for Wild Weasel F-4Cs too, though I'm not decided yet on which one.

Jens

can hasegawas F-4J be used as a G? if so i might enter that as well,

not sure what markings yet though.

hmm. thinking about this. all i need now is a super saber an some wild weasel decals for an F-16 and i can depict the history of the wild weasels :coolio:

Edited by rjwood_uk

There was indeed a Navy G variant, but this was not a Wild Weasel. I think it was a B with some extra electronics for test. It was not used and the G designation was used by the AF instead. So the short answer is no.

Jens

Hey guys! Well hopefully the Forum will open up soon. I've was able to get three sponsors and working on a fourth for the build although I was hesitant to do that in the beginning. Bear with me as this is the very first build that I am running.

That being said - what constitutes a Wild Weasel / Iron Hand Build? As you can see I added the marque "Defense Suppression Build" as certain aircraft used different weapons and tactics to take out not only Surface to Air Missile radar sites but also flew AAA sites. Something to remember is the first Wild Weasels did not use anti-radar missiles they used cluster bombs.

A recent thought about the F-4J ... Randy Cunningham's infamous triple kill on May 10, 1972 happened when he was on a Flak Suppression mission. He was not flying a MiG CAP at the time. He dropped his bombs and then went on to his triple MiG Kill.

Another thought ... F-16As from the South Carolina Air National Guard. Their opening mission during Desert Storm was to fly their entire squadron as a SAM Suppression package against the SAM sites in Kuwait. That package had the most SAMs fired at it in the history of aerial warfare! The F-16As flew this mission with bombs not Anti radiation missiles.

After the opening round of Iraqi Freedom. F-16CJ Wild Weasels used CBUs to take out SAM sites that they spotted optically.

I think you can run into a wide variety of aircraft not just US Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps but also both RAF versions of the GR1-GR4 and F3 Tornados, German Lutwaffe Tornados with AGM-88s... Spanish Hornets with HARMs, Turkish F-16s with HARMs... Australian F-111s with HARMs!!! Id love to see some former Soviet Bloc jets armed with "HARMskis!" You also have the Vietnam era Weasels! And of course anyone want to tackle the RAF Vulcan bomber with the AGM-45 Shrike during the Falklands conflict???

Looking forward to everyone's build for 2008!

Karl Sanders - wow has it been that long a duty assignment? I can remember talking to you when you weren't flying. Good Luck on your move? You transitioning to the EF-18G?

Anyone with questions.. drop me a line.

Berto

Siesta3

Initially I'd be going back to EA-6Bs. When/if I'd transition depends on what squadron I'd go to (still don't know) and where they fall in the transition plan (which is rather fluid anyway).

Yep, been in Northern Nevada 2 1/2 years now...

There was indeed a Navy G variant, but this was not a Wild Weasel. I think it was a B with some extra electronics for test. It was not used and the G designation was used by the AF instead. So the short answer is no.

Jens

Navy G was used. It had extra electronics for an auto landing system. It did not catch on and they were essentially taken back to being B models. Incidently some of the navy G's were painted overall Green topsides in a camo experiment for overland operations.

Julien