Problem With Model Master Acrylics

Hellou, my name is Diego, and im from chile, a south american country. Well now im using some MM master acrylics paints, and i had some problems, because the MM dry to fast and start to "cloging the airbrush tip" B), so when i m paiting with the airbrush i have a lot of problem for get a good finish. I bought the MM acryl thinner (before i was using distilled water (sorry i dont know the name in english)), and i still have the same problem, i wanna ask if i use the MM Acryl cleaner for thin the paint, i gonna fix the problem?. Also I wanna ask, What is the difference between MM and Polly Scale Acrylics

Thanks for your time

Diego,

At the store you purchased your Model Master Acryl paint, there should be a product by Model Master called "Acryl Diluant Thinner Acryl". It is the best thinner I have found for MM or any acrylic paint. It contains glycerin, which helps retard acrylic drying at the airbrush tip.

Also, you do not mention the air pressure you are using. For acrylics, never use over 15 psi, they shoot even better if thinned to at 10 -12 psi.

Hope this helps,

Caz

Also I wanna ask, What is the difference between MM and Polly Scale Acrylics

Testors currently own Polly Scale and my understanding is that there isn't any difference in the paints.

BTW, Do you where I can get FACh decals for B-25 and P-47 aircraft in 1/72 scale? I know that they exist, there is just no place in the US that has them.

Hi, Diego. Welcome to ARC!

Regarding your question, I would not use anything labelled "cleaner" to thin paint. Cleaner is intended to remove paint, so it might very well prevent the paint from adhering to a surface.

I've only used MM Acryl once, but I don't think I had to thin it at all and it sprayed fine. The general consensus is that PollyScale is a better paint. If Tamiya acrylic thinner is available in Chile, you can use that to thin PollyScale.

Oh, and yes, distilled water is the correct term.

Good luck!

Edited by zeus60

You may also try going to a art supply or craft store and pick up some acrylic retarder. The stuff I've got is about the consistancy of CA glue and a couple of drops in the paint cup with the paint and thinner helps keep it from clogging as fast.

The stuff I've got is made by Golden, here is a link!

If you are talking the MM Acryl paints, in my experience they aren't like Polly Scale paints. I tried the Acryl paints, but they were a pain to clean up as they would immediately dry up in my airbrush as soon as I stopped spraying. I used their cleaner and thinner specific for the Acryl paints (the only stuff that really work in my experience), and it was still a chore to clean everything up. I stopped using them because of this, even though the few colors that I tried went down quite nicely.

Like Dave, I notice a difference between Pollyscale and MM Acryl.

I've noticed that the MM Acryl can clog the brush but to be honest my biggest gripe with them is the poor adhesion I've noticed (even without using "cleaner" to thin them, as zeus60 posted... MM Acryl doesn't seem to need any help not sticking, I'd hate to see how it could behave worse!)

I've had great experience with both Polly scale and Gunze, but can't get them locally - mail order only.

When I used them, I did not have the adhesion problems that others seem to have. I did use an enamel primer first, maybe that had something to do with it. But I was able to mask over the MM Acryl without any of it lifting up.